Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Here's a pretty funny E3 demo review on Massively about WildStar. The person's impressions were negative on the game (he thought it was more of the same for questing and thought the combat controls were subpar among other things) but the thread is hilarious.
    To people white-knighting a game they've never played, to people jumping to conclusions on calling the game DOA on release because of one bad review, to the a couple of mods having to defend the review, to Carbine having to rush into the thread for damage control, it's had it all.
    lol Carbine mentioned something on the comment section? I kind of like that tho.
    I read the top comment, seemed to be saying not to vilify the reviewer, and there's nothing wrong with his opinion, and that they thrive on feedback. That the gist of it mainly?

I try to stay away from Massively. A shame since I love the site design and the release timeline thing on the side is helpful. The people on that site bother me a lot tho, and sometimes the writers too. It seems a bit exclusive to Massively, since Wowinsider and Joystiq are fine for me. Most of the commentators seem to pick an MMO to bandwagon on, for lack of a better term, and defend it to no end. That, or they already hate it before it's released.

I think it's bad to revere any game to be incredibly amazing before launch. It happened badly with some folks with gw2 last year, and I know it put a few people off to the game, which is why it can be negative. It's important to be open minded too.

I think we all just need to see more. So far from what I've seen, it kind of does look like a standard MMO, with a bit more action combat, but I don't mind that so much, and there are still lots of things to be revealed.

Hey guys.
    I found a very interesting article about accessibility in Wildstar.
    I think, they got a good point.
    If this is the philosophy the devs are representing, this should get pretty awesome.

Rumor has it the controls for the Wildstar demo were pretty crummy for a game that's action based. I guess the dodge mechanic was especially problematic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Rumor has it the controls for the Wildstar demo were pretty crummy for a game that's action based. I guess the dodge mechanic was especially problematic.
    Well demo controls were locked. And the game is stil in beta...

Also the guy in the article is right. Wow is losing his charm.
    40 man raids...ah those were the times.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

I kind of worry how much end game content is going to be 40 man raids. 20 mans i can handle, 40 will probably just give me a headache and crash my computer. I heard they had solo instances end game tho so that's pleasing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Carbine has stated that the "Elder Game" (W*'s end game) will appeal to all types of players from solo players to raiders (and pvp). Meaning there will be something for you to do no matter what your favorite type of playstyle is.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That article is just another example of how gaming journalism is a joke. It's fine to not like something or to give critical feedback, but most of the complaints sound like a combination of cba to actually care about what you're doing and a hipster mmo noob trying to sound cool.

Additionally, other than the fact they couldn't change keybinds (uhh...it's a demo, is that really needed?) I'm not sure where the 'bad controls' notion even comes from. I have it on good faith that the controls feel as smooth, if not even smoother, as WoW and that the ability design makes the game feel a lot less like GW2 than people claim.

Overall I was surprised to see such a pile of junk be published on Massively.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Wasnt they going to break some epic news last night or did I misread something?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    That article is just another example of how gaming journalism is a joke. It's fine to not like something or to give critical feedback, but most of the complaints sound like a combination of cba to actually care about what you're doing and a hipster mmo noob trying to sound cool.

Additionally, other than the fact they couldn't change keybinds (uhh...it's a demo, is that really needed?) I'm not sure where the 'bad controls' notion even comes from. I have it on good faith that the controls feel as smooth, if not even smoother, as WoW and that the ability design makes the game feel a lot less like GW2 than people claim.

Overall I was surprised to see such a pile of junk be published on Massively.
    I haven't played the game myself, so I can't agree/disagree with you or the "journalist" from Massively, but I think that even if his points objectively hold no merit they shouldn't be just disregarded. To me he seems like the ideal "average guy" with some, but not too much MMO experience and I'm sure Carbine wants to make the game appealing to this kind of players too (since there are tons of them). First impressions counts and "average Joe" being frustrated at his first try at Wildstar because he can't get used to the controls is certainly something Carbine wants to avoid (especially since he is most likely going to write about that on Massively, post it on some gaming forums or just tell to his friends).

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Wasnt they going to break some epic news last night or did I misread something?
    The only news is the new Wildstar Wednesday about what the developers at Carbine to on Saturdays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Here's a pretty funny E3 demo review on Massively about WildStar. The person's impressions were negative on the game (he thought it was more of the same for questing and thought the combat controls were subpar among other things) but the thread is hilarious.
    To people white-knighting a game they've never played, to people jumping to conclusions on calling the game DOA on release because of one bad review, to the a couple of mods having to defend the review, to Carbine having to rush into the thread for damage control, it's had it all.
    What a load of crap that article was. He complained the whole time about not liking the controls, and the only problem he could mention about them was that he didn't like the way they were bound and that he couldn't rebind them. Just because you dont like the default keys doesn't mean the controls are bad. He would say the same thing about any game without a key binding option, which im sure wildstar will have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by senkyen View Post
    First impressions counts and "average Joe" being frustrated at his first try at Wildstar because he can't get used to the controls is certainly something Carbine wants to avoid (especially since he is most likely going to write about that on Massively, post it on some gaming forums or just tell to his friends).
    Here's the thing about that: The controls are the exact same as every other hotkey MMO out there. Sooo....the criticism should be disregarded. Other than the dodge button, which can be rebound in beta...from what I've heard, everything is standard hotkey, wasd combat.

It's like he's complaining a wheel is still round, but he can't figure it out and wants to make it a square. Like..what? It just makes no sense. And as he's running to Massively to 'tell all his friends'...it seems most of his friends realize he sounds ignorant of the subject he wrote about.

It just bothers me that the people writing these things seem to have no experience with games of any kind, let alone MMOs. On top of that, their writing is pretty poor quality. Whether it's poor b/c they don't know what they're doing or poor because they can't write, both are bad attributes for someone to write an article like this.
    BAD WOLF

Here's the thing about that: The controls are the exact same as every other hotkey MMO out there. Sooo....the criticism should be disregarded. Other than the dodge button, which can be rebound in beta...from what I've heard, everything is standard hotkey, wasd combat.
    I'm sorry but every MMO I ever played allowed me to rebind the default keys, I know this as I use 'esdf' instead of 'wasd'. If the game was launched that way it would be a very valid complaint, something I'm sure it won't though.

It's like he's complaining a wheel is still round, but he can't figure it out and wants to make it a square. Like..what? It just makes no sense. And as he's running to Massively to 'tell all his friends'...it seems most of his friends realize he sounds ignorant of the subject he wrote about.

It just bothers me that the people writing these things seem to have no experience with games of any kind, let alone MMOs. On top of that, their writing is pretty poor quality. Whether it's poor b/c they don't know what they're doing or poor because they can't write, both are bad attributes for someone to write an article like this.
    Really, it's a review from he's perspective...perhaps not the best of reviews but still not THAT horrible. Take a deep breath and stop the borderline White Knighting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    I'm sorry but every MMO I ever played allowed me to rebind the default keys, I know this as I use 'esdf' instead of 'wasd'. If the game was launched that way it would be a very valid complaint, something I'm sure it won't though.
    It won't, as it's not currently set up that way now. You can rebind keys, just like every other game out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    Really, it's a review from he's perspective...perhaps not the best of reviews but still not THAT horrible. Take a deep breath and stop the borderline White Knighting.
    While I love the game so far, I'm not going to say it's something revolutionary. I don't give credit where it isn't due. It seems like all of the best MMO concepts put into one game, then turned up by one notch with a couple of features thrown in. That's what I want. But I'm not going to say it's the best thing every made, or that it's saving the genre, or any other ridiculous things. I'm sure I'll dislike several things about it as well, but until it launches I can't comment on those things as we don't know.

I'm saying the combat and controls are just like every other MMO out there. That's not a compliment to me, but it doesn't change the fact that the major points of his criticism give away his ineptitude. Wildstar might get blown out of the water by someone with experience and intelligence and I won't have much to say other than well...different folks.

This is entirely different.

Edit: I mean by all means, I will probably cross the line into hypocrisy defense at some point in this game's future, but not now. I've been seeing a lot of pretty ignorant articles about a lot of games, which I've talked about it some other threads and maybe this one already.

Just seems that gaming journalism has somehow evolved into some meta farce, where the people giving us information about something have no experience or skill in delivering that information. Though I think that is a problem plaguing journalism in general these days.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-06-13 at 02:57 PM.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    If that's the case then I guess he is just nitpicking about something that's obviously a limitation of the test demo (which is pretty normal for such demos) just to make himself look like more of an "expert" on the subject or as you, perhaps a little bit too harshly, put it "hipster mmo noob trying to sound cool".

Also his complaints about having to kill stuff and the "too standard" kind of quests are not really meaningful. I mean every RPG has this kind of quests, some try to hide them in different packages or under different names, but at the end you always end up killing some amount of enemies. What makes the difference is if the actual act of fighting this enemies is fun and engaging and with the telegraph system and the variety of abilities used by mobs in the videos Wildstar seems to be on the right path to accomplish that.

If that's the case then I guess he is just nitpicking about something that's obviously a limitation of the test demo (which is pretty normal for such demos) just to make himself look like more of an "expert" on the subject or as you, perhaps a little bit too harshly, put it "hipster mmo noob trying to sound cool".
    To be fair, that sort of behavior is rampant in mmo journalism. People will say things that sound catchy/edgy but have no evidence behind them just to get viewers.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Also his complaints about having to kill stuff and the "too standard" kind of quests are not really meaningful. I mean every RPG has this kind of quests, some try to hide them in different packages or under different names, but at the end you always end up killing some amount of enemies. What makes the difference is if the actual act of fighting this enemies is fun and engaging and with the telegraph system and the variety of abilities used by mobs in the videos Wildstar seems to be on the right path to accomplish that.
    Well this is sort of why I gave what you considered the 'harsh' label. It sounds like doing a combination of trying to sound smart and different with the controls, while still giving the same rehashed criticism about other things. Neither of which actually make him seem smart or informed on the subject.

We've learned from GW2 that questing and killing mobs isn't an old hat that can just be magicked into newness. The genre is defined by quests and killing things. What else are you going to do in the game? You can pick up items, interact with things, and kill things. Other than that, you don't really have much variety possible.

How it is woven together, how dynamic it is presented, etc is what makes the difference. Wildstar admirably attempts to diversify your experience, but we all must know that after doing it once we will relegate it to being just like every other questing experience. That is all I was looking for. In a different example, which also became annoying over time, is how SWTOR presented questing. It was given to us in a different package, but now no one really cares.

I may be of the odd sort, as I see value in every single MMO I've played in this regard. I've never played a game and thought this leveling experience is awful because I have to kill things and do quests. What ruins games for me are the practices of the companies running them. Otherwise, we all know what we are getting in to.

---------- Post added 2013-06-13 at 11:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    To be fair, that sort of behavior is rampant in mmo journalism. People will say things that sound catchy/edgy but have no evidence behind them just to get viewers.
    Yeah...this is what the whole write up comes across as to me, which is why I think it's garbage.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    What is "massively" anyways and who cares? I've been playing MMOs since 2003 and I haven't heard of them. So some unknown dude on some unknown website made a silly article, I'd just forget about it.
    Massively is a part of Joystiq, the same site that brought us WoW Insider. Massively has been around since 2007 and Joystiq as a whole has been around since 2004. They are far from some unknown website.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

ot like MMO-Champ at least, which is the first result on google when you type in "MMO."
    Because google list relevant articles relating to your search. So if you type in MMO and search it's going to list MMO champion first because it has MMO in it's name.

Not to mention it doesn't cover MMO's in general but World of warcraft and sometimes Gw2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Because google list relevant articles relating to your search. So if you type in MMO and search it's going to list MMO champion first because it has MMO in it's name.

Not to mention it doesn't cover MMO's in general but World of warcraft and sometimes Gw2.
    also, you can pay extra money to have your business show up with any number of key words or phrases that are typed in to the search box. A company I worked for back in the day did this with a new website they set up so that when people typed stuff in the search box in google that related (even remotely) to the industry we were in, that companies website would show up in the search.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    What is "massively" anyways and who cares? I've been playing MMOs since 2003 and I haven't heard of them. So some unknown dude on some unknown website made a silly article, I'd just forget about it.
    I honestly hope that one day everyone will get past this whole ''I've never heard of it so it must not be good/popular/important/etc.'' mentality.