Deleted

Question Tips and Tricks - Ragnaros 10N

Hi, after progressing well last week with our first 1.5 hours on ragnaros and pushing into p2, it feels like our guild could do with some nifty tips and tricks to help us along the way later tonight, especially from a healer's point of view. We are already using some, such as me, the HPala glyphing holy wrath.

Here is our setup:

Prot Paladin
    Feral Druid

Holy Paladin
    Resto Druid
    Holy Priest

Fire Mage
    Affli Warlock
    Enhancement Shaman
    Combat Rogue
    MM Hunter

If anyone playing these classes could give us a few tips in regards to change in playstyle etc that they use for the Ragnaros encounter, it would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks for anyone taking the time to read/reply.

i don't know if your mage wants to stay fire or if he enjoys all the specs, but i play arcane for rag, and one thing that is very useful is while ragnaros is charging his hammer before the transitions, you can start stacking your arcane blast stacks and (if you have the t11 4 set or else you might have to start casting a bit earlyer) cast your last one right as rag lets go of his hammer. This will make it so you have 4 stacks, but enough time so the buff won't run out by the time you can cast on an add, and getting an arcane blast then presence of minding a 2nd one right after is usualy enough to hit an add down to 50%, very nice for hitting those very close ones if they are giving you trouble. also if he's the one setting the traps off in phase 1, if he's not blinking after he hits the traps, tell him to blink, it will blink him back to the ground so it isn't nessesary to waste the time slowly floating down.

Your mage should really go arcane.

Arcane is definitely better for this fight. If your mage is willing to go Arcane, I have a few tips.

first tip i would give is 2 heal it
    second is to make sure to save one ele in 2.5, pop hero and burn scions, then kill the ele right before rag comes back out

An Arcane mage and an MM hunter can solo any side, the adds in 10 man are a complete joke with the right classes/specs

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not 100% sure on what you're wiping to.

To some people P2 is 70%-40% phase, to others it's the Sons of Flame transmission phase.

If it's the latter which people are responding to as then have your Warlock go Destruction also. Affliction isn't really viable on 10 normal, the adds have minimal HP by the time he has 2 dots on one it will be almost dead. Have him go Destruction, the Shadowfury stun is insanely good there, aswell as the more reliable burst through Immo/Chaos/Conflag.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Go with two healers, that will help immensely. I'm two healing this as a Holy Priest with a Resto Druid but have also done it with a Resto Shaman.

The extra DPS helps A LOT with transition phases and controlling Sons of Flame. It allows you to push phases faster and have less Meteors in P3.

In general, for transition phases, have your tanks do adds as well, even in the second transition when they're picking up the extra adds. They should stun, dps and slow if possible. Having tanks help out is a great help as well.

General tips:
    - Knockback effects can knockback Sons of Flame.
    - Deathgrip can also be used to grip a Son away from the hammer.
    - Save one Son of Flame from the second transition and burn the Scions while the Son is slowly moving towards the hammer. This will allow you to focus exclusively on Ragnaros in P3. Heroism/Bloodlust will help you most when used at this point for burning Scions and it will last into P3.

As for your healers:

There isn't anything in specific they should do aside from keeping everyone up and managing mana and cooldowns efficiently. A paladin healer can of course help with stuns but that's about it.

---------- Post added 2011-08-21 at 08:32 AM ----------

Oh, one more thing, but this requires a bit of training:

There is an "easy mode" for Meteors in P3. Basically you simply kite them so they will move through the lava pool Ragnaros is standing in. Once they're in there you just keep kicking them back in. If executed properly, this will basically negate Meteors as with only 5 seconds in which they can't be kicked, you can keep them inside the pool if you're raid members are properly positioned and Meteors are kicked back in on cooldown.
    Last edited by Venara; 2011-08-21 at 07:27 AM.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Your raid setup is pretty similar to what my guild uses so I might be able to give a couple tips.

If by phase 2 you mean the first transition phase it shouldn't be too bad for you guys with the classes you have. The prot paladin and druid tank can each handle an add without any problems. The way we do it is if the hammer is off to one side the tanks get the 2 closest to the hammer on the side with 6 adds. Between the combat rogue and the enhance shaman the adds on the short side shouldnt be a problem, just have the shaman save ghost wolves and have the rogue vanish for a cheap shot and then a kidney. As for the mage and lock switching specs it could be a good idea if they dont mind switching, but if not just make sure the lock is soul swapping dots and not reapplying them and if the add isnt dying fast enough just drop a point in jinx and grab curse of exhaustion so its not just hauling ass to the hammer. As for 2healing it if your healers can handle it i say go for it but after the first transition phase damage can get pretty heavy especially since the only raid cooldown your raid has is divine gaurdian, but if you cant handle the healing just put your paladin on the add furthest from the hammer and have him HoJ/Holy wrath which should stun him long enough for at least one other person to kill their add and switch to it. You can also put your resto druid on one of the adds to try to get a bash off if one of your dps cant seem to get the add down fast enough. As for the second transition phase its exactly the same except that you have to leave one add alive as long as possible. just have whatever tank is getting the scions get one of the adds and have the hunter MD the one furthest from him. IMO have the druid tank the scions because he can use stampeding roar to get in range of both scions and then charge to get back to his add to bash and kill it before it even moves

on the other hand if you mean the actual second phase, we go off to one side and get into 2 lines then move as far as you can to the other side when the seeds come out, rinse and repeat

hope i helped somewhat and GL on rag, fun fight

Deleted
    Thanks for the help and advice everyone, it really is appreciated. By phase 2 I mean after the transition phase, we usually have no problem with the Sons of Flame, as the tanks and I can keep 3 or so adds busy while the others are handled. I feel the wipes weren't really caused by anything as such, just lack of experience, as we nearly got to the P2/3 transition (the transition with the scions) However I'm almost certain we'll get close to killing him tonight with this advice, so once again I'd like to thank everyone. As for the 2 healers, we might give it a go, but as we didn't use the same healers last week I need to get a feel of the numbers we're pushing before I suggest something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Baboface View Post
    Arcane is definitely better for this fight. If your mage is willing to go Arcane, I have a few tips.
    Sorry for picking out just one quote, I did read all of the replies
    I can speak to him about it and ask, but I know he despises the spec but plays it really well. If you think it really would help that much, please say so and I'll ask him about it.

Thanks, once again, for the advice/help everybody has contributed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostpaladin View Post
    If you think it really would help that much, please say so and I'll ask him about it..
    If you aren't having trouble with the transition phase then don't worry about having the mage go arcane. The reason to go arcane is just so you can derp one of the adds really fast.

Also in case you aren't doing it already pop a resistance aura aura mastery for one of the molten seed phases