It doesn't seem like Gero would be able to use spy bots to gather information from the saiyans and frieza because it seems like they would notice them and even if they just look like flies, flies comin at you to collect DNA would be annoying. Maybe Goku wouldn't hurt a fly, but surely Krillin and Vegeta are plenty fast enough to smash them :P

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Extra tension and drama are fine, but they don't need 15-20 seconds of someone staring and panting. That drags it on, not sets a mood.
    And even for a battle anime, 250+ episode is a lot. Kai even proved that they could condense it and, while still long, became a pretty reasonable show when compared to the actual one of dragged out nothing episode by episode.

Not really. People can like what they want to like. Skelington couldn't care less what people enjoy, just don't lie to yourselves. As he's said, he doesn't hate it. Looking back on it now, he wonders how the hell he put up with it as a kid, but that doesn't take away any of its nostalgia.

He wasn't implying insults. The only one doing that was "shootyadead." He just likes to see what people say when they realize how homoerotic DBZ is, which most don't. His plan backfired, unfortunately, and no one cared until that one guy called him a latent homosexual. Not to mention he doesn't give a damn about sexuality.

How is it not constructive, exactly? He's not trying to guide you to others, but it's pretty ironic when one calls it the best series ever out of a list of a seen five or six. Other anime's were a comparison for when people said that dbz needed all that filler, though, that should have been pretty obvious.

It seems more like you read what you wanted to read.
    Kai isn't as condensed as you seem to think. Kai is 98 episodes. But it completely cuts out the Garlic jr. saga and everything after the Cell games. If you did that to original DBZ it'd be 170 episodes. Most of the rest of that doesn't come from cutting down the, "panting and staring" but cutting out other "filler" arcs, (good or bad depending on your point of view) and actually cutting down on the fighting.

And when I say fighting, I don't mean things that are redundant. I mean they actually cut out parts of a fight. Goku vs Frieza is terrible for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    cell be trollin

dat nappa cells

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    So why is it that Cell is the only villain Goku has never tried to reason with? He spared Vegeta, attempted to save Frieza, and thought Buu could be a good guy. What did cell ever do to make Goku 100% convinced that he couldn't be helped? Considering he thought Buu to be a child who doesn't know right from wrong after the fact that he kinda killed 1/10th of the human population with one attack.
    Perhaps because he was created, rather than being actually alive. Buu was created also, but due to his childlike behavior, it could stand to reason Buu could be controlled. And he eventually was. Cell was programmed to kill, but unlike android 16, he didn't have wires and stuff that could be engineered to make him react differently.

So why is it that Cell is the only villain Goku has never tried to reason with? He spared Vegeta, attempted to save Frieza, and thought Buu could be a good guy. What did cell ever do to make Goku 100% convinced that he couldn't be helped? Considering he thought Buu to be a child who doesn't know right from wrong after the fact that he kinda killed 1/10th of the human population with one attack.
    The only thing I can think of is that he knew he couldn't beat Cell, while he didn't know exactly how strong Vegeta, Frieza and Buu were. Or it could be one of those plot holes.

Well, he doesn't actually think there's any hope for Buu. He believes at best Buu could come back as a better person in the next life. For the most part, Goku stops trying to reason with villains after Frieza. And I think that's because his outlook on life changes a little bit. By the end of the Buu saga, he believes that it's possible for someone to have committed so much evil that they deserve to have their life forcibly taken away from them. That way they can truly understand the pain they've caused.

10+ Year Old Account
    did goku ever try to reason with broly?

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    we need to make this thread more popular then ponies

NOW
    Why not love both :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by staart View Post
    Why not love both :>
    because in order to have both this thread must reach over 9000 pages

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    because in order to have both this thread must reach over 9000 pages
    Genn I'm a little let down by that response. It's not quite......grand enough methinks. I can see it now. Wait til we hit 8999 posts. Everyone will be trying to refresh fast enough to get that 9000th and 9001st post lol.
    "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!!!"

The only way I can see this thread reaching OVER 9000! is if we have a discussion on each individual episode lol.

It was kind of different that Goku did not really even try to beat cell. I know he wanted Gohan to realize his potential, but it didn't seem worth letting cell free somewhat.

10+ Year Old Account
    well android 16 put it best

you cannot reason with cell. freiza had the potential to be reasoned with, but his pride got in the way.

buu is the same as cell, i guess goku knew buu was never even given the mental capacity to make his own choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lymph View Post
    The only way I can see this thread reaching OVER 9000! is if we have a discussion on each individual episode lol.

It was kind of different that Goku did not really even try to beat cell. I know he wanted Gohan to realize his potential, but it didn't seem worth letting cell free somewhat.
    I think he realized he didn't have the power to beat Cell. He knew that at that time, Gohan was? could be more powerful than he was if he allowed it to come out. He had to let the others suffer and get beat on so that Gohan would release his rage. And I think there's way more than enough to talk about to get us over 9000 posts. Don't see 9000 pages happening though. That's like +30 pages per episode. Of course that's just DBZ and we could get into DB and GT (I think we've agreed we don't wanna touch GT though).
    "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by shootyadead View Post
    I think he realized he didn't have the power to beat Cell. He knew that at that time, Gohan was? could be more powerful than he was if he allowed it to come out. He had to let the others suffer and get beat on so that Gohan would release his rage. And I think there's way more than enough to talk about to get us over 9000 posts. Don't see 9000 pages happening though. That's like +30 pages per episode. Of course that's just DBZ and we could get into DB and GT (I think we've agreed we don't wanna touch GT though).
    Could do 50 pages of discussion for each episode of Abridged. Just saiyan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so I have some more questions, as I have been watching through Buu again.

I'm a little confused at what time Spopovich and Hercule competed in the WMAT. The reason I ask is because Goku was surprised that Spopovich knew how to fly and use energy, since before he was just a normal human. So how long was it between then and "now", and why does Goku think it outside the realm of possibility that he could learn that stuff, considering he was fighting Videl, who learned to fly in a matter of days?

I don't get Vegeta here either. In the spaceship he's fuming at Gohan for being weak and wasting his time. Then willingly goes under the control of Babidi. Ok, that all makes sense. Then goes on a rampage, killing innocent people and demanding a fight with Goku. Ok, we're good so far. Goku stalls the fight because he senses Buu, and gets Vegeta to agree to delay it. Vegeta knocks him out, claiming he didn't want Goku to steal his glory yet again. K, we're still good on Vegeta being a prick. Very next scene, "Kakarot's son is dead. I'm sorry Gohan" WAIT, WHAT? This is the first time we hear him ever say Gohan's name, and he's apologizing to him, right after killinga bunch of people and challenging Goku to a fight. I don't get that. But it's not over. He shows up, fights Buu for a bit, realizes he can't beat him. Decides to hug Trunks for the first time ever, and blows himself up to kill Buu. Something doesn't add up. His personality changes drastically. And while we know he wasn't really under Babidi's control, he was still acting like his old self, then took a quick turn to save everyone.

This is more of a what if scenario, but after Vegeta blows up, Piccolo checks out the area, and finds bits and pieces of buu laying around. What if Piccolo saw the danger in him regenerating, and blasted them before he had the chance to? He should have known anyway, or at least not taken the risk. They watched Cell self-destruct, and survive from his own explosion, then saw Buu regenerate from every single attack, including a massive hole in his chest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post

I'm a little confused at what time Spopovich and Hercule competed in the WMAT. The reason I ask is because Goku was surprised that Spopovich knew how to fly and use energy, since before he was just a normal human. So how long was it between then and "now", and why does Goku think it outside the realm of possibility that he could learn that stuff, considering he was fighting Videl, who learned to fly in a matter of days?

I don't get Vegeta here either. In the spaceship he's fuming at Gohan for being weak and wasting his time. Then willingly goes under the control of Babidi. Ok, that all makes sense. Then goes on a rampage, killing innocent people and demanding a fight with Goku. Ok, we're good so far. Goku stalls the fight because he senses Buu, and gets Vegeta to agree to delay it. Vegeta knocks him out, claiming he didn't want Goku to steal his glory yet again. K, we're still good on Vegeta being a prick. Very next scene, "Kakarot's son is dead. I'm sorry Gohan" WAIT, WHAT? This is the first time we hear him ever say Gohan's name, and he's apologizing to him, right after killinga bunch of people and challenging Goku to a fight. I don't get that. But it's not over. He shows up, fights Buu for a bit, realizes he can't beat him. Decides to hug Trunks for the first time ever, and blows himself up to kill Buu. Something doesn't add up. His personality changes drastically. And while we know he wasn't really under Babidi's control, he was still acting like his old self, then took a quick turn to save everyone.

This is more of a what if scenario, but after Vegeta blows up, Piccolo checks out the area, and finds bits and pieces of buu laying around. What if Piccolo saw the danger in him regenerating, and blasted them before he had the chance to? He should have known anyway, or at least not taken the risk. They watched Cell self-destruct, and survive from his own explosion, then saw Buu regenerate from every single attack, including a massive hole in his chest.
    I'm gonna have a go at this. I'll start with the Piccolo thing. I think he was in a state of shock. He was kinda mezmerized by what happened and wasn't fully in battle mode. That's really the only explanation I can give.

As far as Spopovich, didn't Goku say he had seen him in the previous WMAT? So that would have been several years at least. As far as why he's astounded by the abilities, Goku knew that Gohan taught Videl to fly. He also pretty much knew everyone that would have been able to teach him the abilities he had learned and couldn't figure out who would have helped him like that.

Now for the Vegeta thing. Well I'm thinking that all of it boils down to Vegeta finally truly realizing he was in a fight he couldn't win. Even fighting against Frieza and Cell he held on to some notion that he'd be able to overcome them in some way. Arrogance can only get you so far though, and I think it completely destroyed his ego seeing Gohan dead like that. He knew what he was in for and wanted to finally let his son know how he felt about him. That's really all I can figure about that. I think the Babidi control thing was an act. I think he was saying that because he knew it'd get to Goku.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Vegeta moved into the "Nice Guy/Family Man" zone over the timeskip (initially started by watching Future Trunks die). During the Buu saga, he is a good guy, but he's still holding onto a part of his original personality. During the mind control part, he tries very hard to hold onto that part of his personality, but eventually, he just lets it go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnash View Post
    Could do 50 pages of discussion for each episode of Abridged. Just saiyan.

just......saiyan

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 01:03 AM ----------

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 01:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post

1. Spopovich and Hercule competed in the 24th World Martial Arts Tournament. This took place at around the time the Androids first arrived. During the Cell games, Hercule was basically fresh off his win in the tournament.

2. Vegeta allowed Babidi to awaken the evil in his heart. That doesn't mean the good in his heart was gone though. At that time, Vegeta hated Goku. Even before Babidi tried to take him over he hated Goku. Vegeta snapped at Gohan because he's an irritable person. The only thing he cared about was having a fight with Goku. Deep down, he still liked Gohan though. He could never admit it in front of him, because he's Goku's son, but not only did Vegeta respect Gohan, he was one of the only friends Vegeta ever had. For 7 years, Gohan was the only other Super Saiyan in the universe, that's gotta count for something. The thing about Vegeta is that there's a 6 foot wall of crap between him and his real emotions. The reason Vegeta killed those innocent people was purely because he was trying to goad Goku into a fight.

3. Piccolo did actually try to blast the little pieces of Buu. Didn't work though. Piccolo's blasts weren't powerful enough, they only vaporized Buu and he can regenerate from vapor. The technical term for what Piccolo needed to do is spallation, the process of separating an atom into its base subatomic particles. /science

Edit: Derp, I forgot to answer one of your questions. Goku was so surprised to see Spopovich flying because no one really knows those kinds of techniques outside their group. And Goku could probably sense that there was something wrong with the guy, considering his energy looked dark, and we know that each person's energy feels different. When he started to fly Goku could probably sense his evil.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2012-05-07 at 01:33 AM.