Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    No, RO sucks now. RIP iRO Chaos, when it was decent it was fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    The music from RO is still damn amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Old Payon was the best. I still miss Old Payon. Used to be my home way back in the day.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
    Corsair AX 850W PSU | Mushkin Blackline 8GB 8-8-8-24 1.5v | Coolermaster HAF 922 | ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    old payon makes me think of Nicolette on loki always vending BS goods near the portal to the caves map. her weapons were the shit back in the day.
    archdruid valentyne -- kel'thuzad, us | RP & M+ PVE

Quote Originally Posted by Muya View Post
    Old Payon was the best. I still miss Old Payon. Used to be my home way back in the day.
    Who were you on iChaos?

10+ Year Old Account
    *~Miroku~*

High priest from Deity and later Intrepid.

Or, if you were in contention for the Alchemist list ~Mukotsu~ was my pure pot chem who was battling for #1 spot for quite a while.

And let me tell you, making Slim Whites for 2 different alliances plus friends and to sell.....sucked. That was before Soul Linkers and the instant 200 Slim White makes.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
    Corsair AX 850W PSU | Mushkin Blackline 8GB 8-8-8-24 1.5v | Coolermaster HAF 922 | ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

Old Payon was great. New Payon just never had the same charm, I don't know why they changed it.

I really loved RO, it was my first MMO and I played it for 3 years. I started long before the trans classes came out and quit a few months after it. I remember having an Agi/Luck build blacksmith that had max attackspeed back then (which was 187 or something) and he'd crit every attack. Fun times.

I also had a High Wizard that I used a Frilldora card with and he had a full set of +9 gear. Frilldora card > Ghostring card any day if you knew how to use it properly.

I've always wanted to get back into the game, but I'm just disappointed whenever I do try. It was the people you played with that made it a worthwhile experience, and all servers are already too old and filled with it's own politics and max level guilds and it's hard to just become a part of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't have a full set of +9, but I had several pieces.

Had a full +8 Buckler set (Cranial, Hell, Formless, Gargantua, Brutal), 3 different +8 armors (Unfrozen, Water Based and Wind Based) and a +9 Ares Saint's Robe and +9 Firelock Shoes.

Everything else was +7, even weapons. Mobbing with Guard (Clock card armor) as a Full Support High Priest was amazingly stupid. That was why I did BioLabs all the time, because of my gear and know-how. Vince even wanted me to train 2 other priests to do my job so that when I was at school/asleep they could still keep going >.> (Edit - The amount of armor swapping and using battlemode to mob in Bio3 as a priest were key. If you couldn't use battlemode or had the proper armor, you were toast)

And they changed Old Payon with some excuse that Payon was paying homage to the game creators and because it was so small and bland, they felt the need to upgrade it. Which I hated.
    Last edited by Muya; 2011-09-23 at 01:26 AM.
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wish WoW had WoEs.

That kind of inter-guild competitive play was amazing. The lack of interaction with the other faction on wow kindoff kills the mood for me. What should be part of community play becomes all random-queued encounters with people you are not seeing again.

Thats why I dont PvP on wow :P

Quote Originally Posted by Vinland View Post
    I wish WoW had WoEs.

That kind of inter-guild competitive play was amazing. The lack of interaction with the other faction on wow kindoff kills the mood for me. What should be part of community play becomes all random-queued encounters with people you are not seeing again.

Thats why I dont PvP on wow :P
    Yeah, when I joined WoW after playing RO I always wondered, wait, what's the point of having a guild? Why are there no WoE-esque battles?

It's something that other games look over and don't realize that it's something that this old cutesy Asian game, Ragnarok Online, did right.

---------- Post added 2011-09-23 at 01:34 AM ----------

I didn't have a full set of +9, but I had several pieces.

Had a full +8 Buckler set (Cranial, Hell, Formless, Gargantua, Brutal), 3 different +8 armors (Unfrozen, Water Based and Wind Based) and a +9 Ares Saint's Robe and +9 Firelock Shoes.

Everything else was +7, even weapons. Mobbing with Guard (Clock card armor) as a Full Support High Priest was amazingly stupid. That was why I did BioLabs all the time, because of my gear and know-how. Vince even wanted me to train 2 other priests to do my job so that when I was at school/asleep they could still keep going >.> (Edit - The amount of armor swapping and using battlemode to mob in Bio3 as a priest were key. If you couldn't use battlemode or had the proper armor, you were toast)

And they changed Old Payon with some excuse that Payon was paying homage to the game creators and because it was so small and bland, they felt the need to upgrade it. Which I hated.
    Hmm, I don't remember Biolabs being as hard as you make it to be, maybe I'm not thinking of the same place? I just remember that if you had a group with a High Wizard, a Creator and a High Priest, you would do decently, and then you'd be better off with another Creator and a Bard (or whatever the trans Bard class is called, Clown?).

10+ Year Old Account
    You could do it in a group of 3, maybe 4. But if you wanted big time EXP, you went with a full group. You had 2 bards/minstrels and 2 dancers/gypsies, 1 high wiz, 2-3 high priests, 2 monks/champs, a scholar and pretty much anything after that. Gives you 2-3 spots to play with. Most people ran with a lord knight or sac paladin for survival.

The breakdown was this:
    1 dancer/bard setup for Magic Strings and Gypsy's Kiss
    1 dancer/bard setup for Mental Sensing
    2-3 pullers (be they lord knights, paladins or priests)
    2 monks to kill priority targets
    1 scholar to refill SP bars with Soul Exhale
    1 priest on full time healing duty on the scholar
    1 wizard casting SG almost all the time to freeze targets
    1 priest to cast Lex Aeterna on Master Smith mobs/Lex Divina on High Wizard mobs if they weren't already silenced/Pnuema for Sniper mobs (sadly, sometimes this was the only priest back at the party, so they had to do all of this plus heal the Scholar)

It was a pretty intricate setup. The priests who were either too chicken or too squishy (ME priests) stayed back with the party. The priest that stayed with the party had a full time job as well, though. Making sure the Scholar had full HP to constantly convert to SP to give to the champs was top priority, next was keeping all buffs up and last was healing the pullers.

If it was done right and if you didn't get screwed by a level 99 teleport, no one but the pullers ever needed healing. But priests being pullers made it easier because they could Pneuma themselves for Snipers, pre-silence High Wizards before dragging them in and heal themselves from any damage spikes coming in (usually Sonic Blow and the like)

There were a few spots where you could do a group set up for a creator/sin cross/champ and a guard, then have the high priests do the pulling. But the exp was drastically less due to how many mobs you couldn't kill. (creators couldn't acid bomb anything but the high priest, lord knight and master smith well enough. Champs could kill anything but the high wizard. And sinx's could kill anything but killing master smiths and lord knights took way, way too long)

You could go with a 2 priests, champ and a sinx to make the best combo.

We would try to take the left elbow area in Bio3 because it was a really, really good spot. I took pretty much the entire right side while someone else would take the north. If a 99 was around, we'd always warn people and try to force it to teleport away.
    Last edited by Muya; 2011-09-23 at 01:55 AM.
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Ragnarok online is just recently F2P. I loved me some 2D MMORPGs but I thought they all went F2P a long time ago.

Whatever happened to that Ragnarok Online 2 that they were developing? Did that fail, since they made it too similar to other Asian MMOs?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Royaltru View Post
    Whatever happened to that Ragnarok Online 2 that they were developing? Did that fail, since they made it too similar to other Asian MMOs?
    they released it but I think it was just terrible, dont think it even made it western markets. They put the knowledge into flyff instead I think.

I remember RO fondly back from when Old Payon was the shit the only island out there from Alberta was turtle island. Leveled an Aco with str till like lvl 30 and found out what a priest needed I remember having such a party when I finally made priest with all my buds from Payon caves, those were the days. Finally getting my Hunter to 99 was awesome too cause I was so fcking tired of turtle island by that point still hate those dam rabbits and my fcing falcon for killing me all those times.

I always thing about going back I know my old guild from Loki is still kicking and wouldn't mind WoE again, WoE MADE that game I thought about leaving for WoW when it came out but WoW didn't have WoE and I was like fck that, WoE was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Ice cream sales increase in the summer over the rest of the year (this is established fact). The number of drownings increase in the summer over the rest of the year (this is also established fact). By your logic ... ice cream causes people to drown.

15+ Year Old Account
    heres my monk back when louyang was first brought in

god i miss the good old oRO days!
    Chaotic Serenity - US Frostmourne Alliance 13/13 Mythic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    they released it but I think it was just terrible, dont think it even made it western markets. They put the knowledge into flyff instead I think.
    They're re-releasing it with a new beta soon; it will be much closer to how the original RO is/was.

I have fond memories of RO too, as it was my first MMO. For years, though, I played because of my guild and the good times we would have, we even had 3 irl meet-ups.
    And now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

mm...ro

Does anyone remember that area (comodo area I think) with the seals? Most annoying sounding creatures EVER...but awesome leveling place until it it started to get popular. I loved the music in that game and everything in it was just fun. Hell I'd still be playing it today if it was still the same old game but it has changed alot. I loved placing shockwave traps infront of champions only to just facepalm afterwards.

mmm I miss my biochemist and sniper.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kittenboots View Post
    old payon makes me think of Nicolette on loki always vending BS goods near the portal to the caves map. her weapons were the shit back in the day.
    Ah thats freaky I also remember her really well and the spot she used to vendor at. I think she was the reason why I leveled a BS at one point. I thought there was cash to be made.

I'm an oldschool iro- loki player myself and have played the game since open beta. At one point shortly after Thor's Vulcano was released and we leveled all of our chars to max level in no time with a TK- Class I ended up quitting the game for good in order to give WoW a try. Before that we had also sucessfully camped Valkyrie for a couple of months and shared her spawn timers with our closest friends. It was a great! We could actually dual client her & all we needed was 2 actual players controlling a wizard, a healer, an alchemist & of course a bard if i remember correctly.

Ever since that time I look back to iRo and it's oldschool Loki guilds like Eternal | Asura, Insurrection, Defiance, Unity, XGMR, Element and so on in a quite nostalgic way. It was fun while it lasted and I definetly had a great time back then. The community seemed great at around 2004-2006 (wow that seems so long ago now). In general the ppl were great and I never encountered as much elitism as I do in WoW. Lots of ppl seemed to be up for a good chat or just in general to make some friends within the game.

I tried to give iRO a go again about one year ago. But as I walked around in Prontera and checked out the old guild spots there were still some familar sounding guildnames but no more players that would remember me. So i saw not much point in giving it try again. Also if you come from a game like WoW the controls on iRo start to feel outdated to you and you find yourself pressing "w" and hoping that your char starts walking instead of clicking.

In general I have really nice memories when it comes to iro tho. But I think the game had it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Selestine View Post
    Ah thats freaky I also remember her really well and the spot she used to vendor at. I think she was the reason why I leveled a BS at one point. I thought there was cash to be made.

I'm an oldschool iro- loki player myself and have played the game since open beta. At one point shortly after Thor's Vulcano was released and we leveled all of our chars to max level in no time with a TK- Class I ended up quitting the game for good in order to give WoW a try. Before that we had also sucessfully camped Valkyrie for a couple of months and shared her spawn timers with our closest friends. It was a great! We could actually dual client her & all we needed was 2 actual players controlling a wizard, a healer, an alchemist & of course a bard if i remember correctly.

Ever since that time I look back to iRo and it's oldschool Loki guilds like Eternal | Asura, Insurrection, Defiance, Unity, XGMR, Element and so on in a quite nostalgic way. It was fun while it lasted and I definetly had a great time back then. The community seemed great at around 2004-2006 (wow that seems so long ago now). In general the ppl were great and I never encountered as much elitism as I do in WoW. Lots of ppl seemed to be up for a good chat or just in general to make some friends within the game.

I tried to give iRO a go again about one year ago. But as I walked around in Prontera and checked out the old guild spots there were still some familar sounding guildnames but no more players that would remember me. So i saw not much point in giving it try again. Also if you come from a game like WoW the controls on iRo start to feel outdated to you and you find yourself pressing "w" and hoping that your char starts walking instead of clicking.

In general I have really nice memories when it comes to iro tho. But I think the game had it's time.
    I think the lack of elitism in the game was mostly due to the fact that there really was nothing to be "elite" about in that game. There were no people arguing about balance because there was no arena system, there was no competitive PvE system like WoW raiding, and classes were all very distinct from each other; everyone had their role and everyone knew what their role was.

The only real competition in that game was WoE, and WoE could be fought by hundreds and hundreds of people, so little arguments about balance never really mattered because it was more about who had more people, really. There would be a few people running around with GTB cards and all the guilds wanted them because they could run through the SG and LoV spamming in WoE castles.

It was a great game, very pretty too.

---------- Post added 2011-09-23 at 09:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    mm...ro

Does anyone remember that area (comodo area I think) with the seals? Most annoying sounding creatures EVER...but awesome leveling place until it it started to get popular. I loved the music in that game and everything in it was just fun. Hell I'd still be playing it today if it was still the same old game but it has changed alot. I loved placing shockwave traps infront of champions only to just facepalm afterwards.

mmm I miss my biochemist and sniper.
    ARP ARP ARP ARP ARP ARP ARP ARP

Not my pic, found it on google, but that's the place you're talking about I think. It was a really good leveling zone for 70+ people, I leveled my Agi/Luck BS there until he was in his 80s I think, then I went to the High Orc map in CT.

Alsooo did anyone else here abuse the fact that you could become a 2nd job at level 30 if you did it right? I used to have a geared Knight that was level 30 and I would spend hours at a time just chilling in the 21-30 pvp bracket in Izlude and Prontera.
    Last edited by Royaltru; 2011-09-23 at 09:55 AM.