Quote Originally Posted by Steeda_ View Post
I got out in 1998, and have regretted it ever since. If I had stayed in, I could retire in 2 years at the age of 38 (if I were still alive to be able to retire). I can't tell you how many times I've thought about going back in. I have friends that have actually gone back in. Let me be the first to tell you, the grass is always greener on the other side. I have a friend that I served in Desert Storm with go back after being out for just over a year. He says all the time it was the worst decision he's ever made. It's not the same, even after only being out a year, and it never will be. Even further, if the economy is the reason you're looking to do it, and not flat out passion for the service, it's probably the wrong reason to begin with and you may wind up even more miserable. Either way, it is absolutely something you should think very long, and very hard about. It's not a snap decision to make. I've been thinking about it for 13 years now, and thinking about it is probably as far as I'll get.
This. I've been thinking for years about rejoining. However close I come to it though I always kept in mind the reason I left: I want to marry, have children and actually be there for them. I really really miss alot of it, it seemed what I was made for... As the poster above me said think very long and hard about it and keep in mind the reasons you left in the first place. You "might" get a better position but in the end you go where they want you to go... (Not US military but after reading these posts it seems it's the same everywhere)