10+ Year Old Account

Uni Final Year Project Ideas

Hi guys,

I'm sure a few of you have tweaked that I'm now in my final year at university (for the course i'm on anyway) Studying Computer Network Engineering.

This covers:
    Basic Web Design and Implmentation,
    Basic Cisco training,
    Grounding in Networking protocols,
    Embedded C Programing,
    Basic Programming in Java,
    Network Design and Implementation...

I'm basically looking for an idea to carry forth and use to expand on for my Project this year.

What I have to do for the Project:
    An Investigation into a topic or posed question,
    Or create an Application,
    Or create a Graphic

+ Up to 50 page report about the project (meaning they expect 40+ pages minimum)

I don't see me creating any graphics, I totally suck at using Paint, GIMP or Photoshop etc...
    I don't want to give too much info... as I don't want to narrow the ideas too much.

My original idea was an improved website for my dads business, but given that to attain a pass for this project, it would have to work on every single platform/browser combo flawlessly and have absolutly no bugs as well as introduce a totally new idea that no one has done before, I'm sort of edging away from the idea.

Timeframe:
    I have between now and the 15th of April to complete all the deliverables for the project (the application, graphic or investigation and the report) So obviously it has to be an achiveable/completeable idea.
    I am expected to spend ~300 hours working on this in the time given.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-09-26 at 11:49 AM.

Make a webstore for his business?

Customizing some pre-existing package, running customer surveys, UI design, tracking of business before and after & all that shit should be enough for the report. Bit off-topic for the course though, so might need something extra to sell it to your teacher.

Or since the course is basic this and basic that, you could also do complete redesign and overhaul of your dad's IT infrastructure including servers, clients, security, backups and whatnot. But not really applicable to one person shop.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Suppose it is a one man business... there's no shop as such... and probably the most "WoW" thing I could put on the website is a 360degree tour of each flat (He's a Property developer)

What if you did something with the WoW API and statistics? I admit I'm not a programming/website genius, but I know people have requested having all the information the API has to offer boiled down into statistics they care about. It would be a way to join two things you do together and have something worthwhile as a product?

I'm more keen on programming than anything, not sure if it would fit but something I seriously considered for my final project was creating a new programming language/compiler. Doesn't have to be too complex, Flex and Bison is a good starting point for research.

I ended up created a 'game' that had students writing programs to navigate a robot through a maze. Very similar to Karel the Robot if you ever used that application.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    This may sound selfish, but if you're interested, I'm looking for a web designer to work long hard hours on my portfolio to please me.
    http://www.seanmissal.com/fuzzykins/ is where I'm at now. I'm looking for something really innovative, but I have no real timeframe. (This would probably need to be okayed by llDemonll as well, as it's his domain.) If you're interested, toss me a pm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate it when it comes to this.... You bounce ideas and I shoot them down ! :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Cellery View Post
    What if you did something with the WoW API and statistics? I admit I'm not a programming/website genius, but I know people have requested having all the information the API has to offer boiled down into statistics they care about. It would be a way to join two things you do together and have something worthwhile as a product?
    Hmm... Interesting idea... Although there are already so many different tools that do this already (Rawr, MrRobot, many signature generators... to name a few) It doesn't really have a new take on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    I'm more keen on programming than anything, not sure if it would fit but something I seriously considered for my final project was creating a new programming language/compiler. Doesn't have to be too complex, Flex and Bison is a good starting point for research.

I ended up created a 'game' that had students writing programs to navigate a robot through a maze. Very similar to Karel the Robot if you ever used that application.
    Pretty cool.... although if i'm really honest i'm more of a drag and drop programmer than a write this code one

I suppose a program that allows you to drag and drop elements into it visually wouldn't be too bad... but it would take forever and most languages (C++, Visual Basic, already have programs to do this)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    This may sound selfish, but if you're interested, I'm looking for a web designer to work long hard hours on my portfolio to please me.
    http://www.seanmissal.com/fuzzykins/ is where I'm at now. I'm looking for something really innovative, but I have no real timeframe. (This would probably need to be okayed by llDemonll as well, as it's his domain.) If you're interested, toss me a pm.
    lol :-) not a bad idea... looks like your site is coming along nicely. Although again same problem as with doing my dad's site. It would have to be 100% perfect! that means working on every browser + platform combination possible. (Phones, Tablets, Games Consoles, PC's etc...) I'd also still have to add something new in... or do something in a new way.

---------- Post added 2011-09-29 at 03:29 PM ----------

Now thinking I might do an Investigation into the effect that Social Networking within the gaming environment has changed the way people obtain information.