Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is a good change.

No more Ĺêgòläš the blood elf hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Helbereth View Post
    Always annoyed me that the people who lacked the creativity to come up with a unique name could just cheat by using the character map.

Having named 50+ characters and never once using the character map, nor settled for nonsense, it just irks me to see someone use them.

My only wish is that the change was made retroactive, but that would probably make 10,000 hunters named Legolas' heads explode.
    It's not even the fact that someone is unoriginal, if you want a name and it is use by an inactive account well I understand then. Now if you're a Legolas or enter cliche name then ya I got it... But like my name has been taken by an 85 in active warlock (by wow armory standards) and I wanted to use it.

[2. Trade] [XxdeathwangxX]: WTS guild name <Ensıdia> 50000g pst.

It will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    Agreed, not a big fan of this ping-pong policy they got going on. I don't use weird characters so this doesn't effect me, but I wish they would make up their minds.
    Blizzard has never been known to be great at consistency :|
    Elementium on Knaak:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    He's the Micheal bay of books. He sunk his claws into a popular franchise and is pumping out books with very little plot and a whole lot of descriptions of Rhonins hair and awesomeness and because anyone who wants to know the once rich warcraft lore will buy it the same as a Transformers movie because it's something they love and they keep hoping.
    ~The naaru have not forgotten us... BUT CHRIST METZEN HAS!~

Finally, i always haven't liked names with the accent.
    "one never escapes from the compulsion and chance to be powerful" Peter Sloterdijk
    i5-4690k --- ASUS Z97-A --- 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 --- EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3

If they aren't going to affect all current names, It'll take a long time until we actually notice this change

(You might hate me for this, but) I think this sucks. I put characters in all my names. I don't use them correctly either. For example instead of Sonicbreak i will use Sönicbréak. I do this so stupid people (ones who don't know how to use /who anyways) can't talk to me unless they're right in front of me or I'm on their friend list. I guess I can't do this anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toator View Post
    I'm looking forward to this. Always hated them, but sady not all will be gone.
    Good change...but the damage has been done.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Spaces please!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taldred View Post
    I'm hoping to see this feature implemented upon the EU realms as well.
    But you have to note that french, spanish, german, etc. letters have to have accents over them for people to actually comprehend your name.

Quote Originally Posted by zebramints View Post
    you do know you can shift-click names? I don't see why people care so much.
    What does that solve?

People care because:
    1) These names were most often outright stupid: Röflwàfflês
    2) Tedious to type when you wanted to invite a person to a group, or guild as you can't highlight text from the chat window. So If you said to a Guild Officer or Raid Leader, "Hey can you invite my buddy/alt, Röflwàfflês?" it creates a major annoyance.
    3) If you want to /who the player for whatever reason.

I'm not sure why YOU care so much that Blizz is rightfully restricting idiotic things like this... unless of course you make names like Röflwàfflês.
    Elementium on Knaak:
    He's the Micheal bay of books. He sunk his claws into a popular franchise and is pumping out books with very little plot and a whole lot of descriptions of Rhonins hair and awesomeness and because anyone who wants to know the once rich warcraft lore will buy it the same as a Transformers movie because it's something they love and they keep hoping.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shruikah View Post
    This is a good change.

No more Ĺêgòläš the blood elf hunter.
    Instead, you may see:

Legaloos
    Leegolas
    Xzlegolasx
    Legollas

In the years I've played this game, not once have I seen a single person complain about special characters in a name in regards to sending mail or tells. I have never had a problem sending tells or mail to names with special characters, nor did anyone I know. Maybe it's because of ctrl+click and autofill features.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dislike this for the fact that I have several characters with names in french. Like my warrior has an accent ague on it.

Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    Instead, you may see:

Legaloos
    Leegolas
    Xzlegolasx
    Legollas
    They are already in game, so what?
    Elementium on Knaak:

Ha... Luckly I just made Blîtz yesterday for my warriors name.

I love funky characters.

Jmåc, Årcßaby, Qwérty, and Blîtz. My character names for the ones that use them. Wish I used them on all my characters not just those 4 :P

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    So many of the names I see with special characters make it look like the alphabet threw up all over itself. I have removed numerous people from guilds for having too many in their name, and told them "If you want to rejoin you need to get a name change, I am confident you can figure out a name that isn't already taken without trying to circumvent the system."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by QwertySham View Post
    Ha... Luckly I just made Blîtz yesterday for my warriors name.

I love funky characters.

Jmåc, Årcßaby, Qwérty, and Blîtz. My character names for the ones that use them. Wish I used them on all my characters not just those 4 :P
    You have no idea how stupid some of those names actually sound, if you know the "special" letters :/

But, I'm wondering if this also affect the ... non-american (?) ... letters, like the nordic Æ, Ø & Å :/

Quote Originally Posted by Belkram View Post
    You have no idea how stupid some of those names actually sound, if you know the "special" letters :/

But, I'm wondering if this also affect the ... non-american (?) ... letters, like the nordic Æ, Ø & Å :/
    Oh definitely, I don't doubt that they sound/make me look stupid for what they actually stand for. The only one I really love out of those 4 names I made would be Årcßaby. Love the "angel halo" above the A. If I could change the others for free, I would. Though, Blîtz I would keep as well.

I can see limiting it to 1-2 per name, but to completely ban them is slightly annoying. If there's a specific name you want (or want to keep a name if you're transferring) now most likely you will have to completely change to a new name instead of effectively keeping the "essence" of it by putting in some ascii. People with their entire names with special characters should be made to change them, but outright banning it because people are stupid enough to do that is wrong to me. Instead, just limit the amount you can use within the name to make it reasonable.

Sure, the name sounds dumb if you know what the special characters stand for and how they sound but people are trying to get the name they want (or as close to it as possible).
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid