Thread: Addons?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    So in effect doesn't that leave us with only one potential solution which is not to allow addons since many people using them cannot be trusted to do so correctly? That is the primary crux for my reason not to want them introduced, well that and there does not appear to be a need in GW2.
    And yet you fail to grasp the fact that not all addons affect combat or such.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think I am going to say this yet again. Chances are that ANet is going to take the same stance as they did in Guild Wars 1. This means that there WILL be addons, however there's a good chances most will only be UI modifications or simple mods, BUT ANet will probably not support them aka YOU are on your own in terms of support. If something breaks because you installed an addon then you have to fix it on your own.

Deleted
    I'm all for UI-only addOns. No other crap. There's a combatlog ingame already, get your numbercrunching-fix there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    And yet you fail to grasp the fact that not all addons affect combat or such...
    and are thus not necessary because the ui will be fully costumizable....
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet you fail to grasp the fact that not all addons affect combat or such.
    Actually as i posted on page 8 " Personally I’ve always felt that addons that say would automatically re-organize your pack or allow you to manage auctions better etc. were ok as they don't affect the way you play, but the majority of addons, specifically those that are used for combat are pretty much crutches for people who aren't good enough to play the game the way the developers designed it to be played. All combat addons in my mind, are tools that allow a person to try and cheat the original intent of the design and you can try and redefine it anyway you like but in the end it boils down to being a crutch for less skilled players, plain and simple. Simplest analogy it’s running a marathon with a group of people but you take a taxi to the finish line."

So I don't have an issue with cosmetic addons but since the UI is fully customizable, I don't see the need. Also I was not trying to be disrespectful towards you or your post I was just pointing out the fact that the issue lies with those who abuse the tools and this is exactly what you recognized as well.
    Last edited by Vlad Morbius; 2011-10-20 at 04:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    and are thus not necessary because the ui will be fully costumizable....
    It's not "fully customizable" unless you can, you know, FULLY customize it, including replacing it completely with something else. Otherwise it's just "mostly customizable."

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never been a fan of addons. Don't get me wrong, I like customization, but relying on its users to add features to its game says something about the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    I've never been a fan of addons. Don't get me wrong, I like customization, but relying on its users to add features to its game says something about the company.
    It says that no company will ever be able to provide features that will satisfy everyone, and in many cases it's better to let fans do a better job for free then try to guess what fans want on their own budget?

I would love mini-game add-ons. Like I used to have in WoW. Bejeweled once a while with a ranked list between your guildies. Besides this I cannot agree more. GW2 doesn't need add-ons to work well.. so even if there will be add-ons I won't use them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    I would love mini-game add-ons. Like I used to have in WoW. Bejeweled once a while with a ranked list between your guildies. Besides this I cannot agree more. GW2 doesn't need add-ons to work well.. so even if there will be add-ons I won't use them.
    I wouldn't mind this, however all other addons (other then purely UI changing ones) shouldn't be added because they're a handicap if you're not good enough just get better...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    I still remember the moment when one guy had the spam of "I have reached this many points in bejeweled" in the middle of a boss encounter in a PuG back in ICC. It was such an epic "BUSTED!" moment .
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2011-10-21 at 04:54 PM.

If there won't be addons in this game I'll be happy if only because it will save me the inevitable hours I would spend messing with them, i can't tell you how many times I've spent a full multi hour game session doing nothing but messing with my WoW addons for fun If its anything like GW1 though I wont feel the need as the UI is appealing to the eye as well as fully moveable and resizable.

GayGirlie is pretty much the only person in this thread that makes any sense. Having an API for collecting combat logs is far more different than eg. UI mods. Without combat log collection there will be no Deadly Boss Mods, no Recount. Without inspection data collecting there will be no Gearscore (though if there is an armory of sorts we will see a web based gearscore for sure). The people who think that mods == damage meters severely lack imagination, I eg. just want to see mods that can tell me the amount of currency I have collected across all my characters, and lets me know what's in the bags of my alts, and maybe something that displays a number for countdown on the skill icons.

Also claiming nerdcred highground for not using addons is like claiming nerdcred highground for clicking instead of keybinding.

Let me give you an example in Rift I was playing. I was playing an assassin and we encounter a boss. Fight starts I m going in melee to fight the boss and a Ranger is going to a rock and start pew pew.Boss do an aoe ability I must move away or I am dead..going back boss makes some other abilities and tank must move him before we will go again and start hitting..the tank do that slowly so when I am back to fight in some sec again aoe. Again I go back to escape death. When the aoe is off an add spawns we have to kill it asap, I go and hunt the add, back to boss, aoe again again I am leaving..and so on..all these time the ranger didn;t move from the Rock..it was like hitting a target dummy..

Fight end up and Ranger link in chat the damage meters and flex..as the time pass, people going to this boss asked for range dps, not a chance for melee..

Of course you will say it was a bad design from the developers than favors range classes than melees...Ok
    but if there were not damage meters, everyone would be happy the boss is down and move on.

this is an example only...

GayGirlie is pretty much the only person in this thread that makes any sense. Having an API for collecting combat logs is far more different than eg. UI mods. Without combat log collection there will be no Deadly Boss Mods, no Recount. Without inspection data collecting there will be no Gearscore (though if there is an armory of sorts we will see a web based gearscore for sure). The people who think that mods == damage meters severely lack imagination, I eg. just want to see mods that can tell me the amount of currency I have collected across all my characters, and lets me know what's in the bags of my alts, and maybe something that displays a number for countdown on the skill icons.
    I am 100% positive for this..having a more beautiful and full customizable UI is +++
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninji View Post
    Also claiming nerdcred highground for not using addons is like claiming nerdcred highground for clicking instead of keybinding.
    <----- Massive Nerdcred. No Addons + Clicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    I will say this one more time, as I have mentioned it in the thread about ten times now. Good statistics-gathering addons allow raid leaders to separate bads from average players who can carry their weight before group is committed to the players.
    In 5-mans you only have 4 people to observe and hence don't really need an addon for that. And every single piece of content in GW2 that allows more than 5 participants is specifically designed to be inclusive to everyone, so there is no point whatsoever in trying to seperate the bads from the good for that as you can't remove them anyway.

Being a "raid leader" in GW2 doesn't mean organizing and finding the best players in advance. A raid leader is instead just someone who keeps track of the bigger picture in an ongoing battle, giving suggestions to everyone else about what to do. Also, not the word suggestions, not commands. You can't command anyone as a raid leader as you don't actually hold any power over them.

I think this perhaps will perhaps be the biggest shock to many players who are used to mmos built around hierarchies. In fact, you can already see some people asking what the point of guilds are when you don't need them to raid. They are so used to the hierarchy that they can't even remember the original purpose of guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie
    There's a good reason for that. WoW is a game where your gear has a huge effect on your performance,
    Interestingly enough there were a bunch of guys who downed a good deal of bosses in Icecrown Citadel using blue gear (with 30% buff, but those pugs that demanded brand new epic gear had that same buff). While gear has a huge effect on performance, the gap between a good and bad player far transcends gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    <----- Massive Nerdcred. No Addons + Clicker.
    Lol you and me both man!!

@Gaygirlie hahahahahahaha! Gear a big role in wrath! What a joke! I healed everything in wrath decked out in my very sexy pvp gear, cause you know, the encounters were sooooooo hard...
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    @Gaygirlie hahahahahahaha! Gear a big role in wrath! What a joke! I healed everything in wrath decked out in my very sexy pvp gear, cause you know, the encounters were sooooooo hard...
    Good job on missing the point entirely, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good job on missing the point entirely, though.
    Lol thank for noticing xD, I saw your other posts an agree with most of em