Poll: Bad Idea?

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssith View Post
    this is my main issue with it.

and i think they should just finally come out and offer a "pet" that vendors for 25k gold and sell it for $10, since that's basically what this is. i have no problem at all with games based on microtransactions. but on that same note, if they ARE going to start supporting their game with microtransactions, they need to reduce or remove the fee to play the game in the first place.
    I'm sorry, but where did it ever say anybody would spend 25k gold on it? In my entire WoW career (I've played since beta mind you), I've never, EVER met someone that would pay that much gold for a vanity pet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care so much that it's BoU, I mind that it is a one-time affair. All of the other pets in the store apply to every character on your account. This one does not. Waste of money to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Selkinor View Post
    I don't care that it's tradeable so much. I just wish Blizzard would stop constantly making more pets/mounts to sell, it is just blatant "WE WANT YOUR MONEY". I have a moral dilemma playing a game who's company has become all about profit. And yeah, yeah, some pets went to charity, but not everything they sell does.
    A company wanting to make money? Never heard of that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    The poor man in me says yes.
    The lazy man in me says no.
    The apathetic man in me (who reigns most days) says this doesn't affect my game play an inkling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is where I see this going,

Joe Smoe buys "Single Character Pet" from blizzard at $10 for said pet. He then decideds that we would like to sell said pet in the AH.

Bob Smith decides that he wants said pet and can either (a) buy the pet from Joe with his hard earned gold or (b) he can buy the "retarded" pet himself from blizzard at $10 per toon. Choices!

John James wants the pet too, but figured that he can go to "any" gold selling website and buy 16-21k gold for $10-$18 . He then proceeds to buy said pet of the AH for "maybe" 8-10K gold and still have 6-10k gold left to do wth he wants with it.

Good job Blizzard. This just gave more business to the gold sellers. You dont need to be the smartest person in your household to figure this out.
    Tibben- So some kid got mouthy after killing a guy in a game because anonymity allows everyone to be assholes, and the guy tracked him down and choked him? This sounds like the real answer to stopping trolls. If everyone that trolled anyone got choked I imagine there would be a significant decrease in trolling in games and on forums and the world would be a better place...except for the ones that like being choked, but that's a different story .

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    The poor man in me says yes.
    The lazy man in me says no.

We should be able to buy a version that is BoP and goes to all our characters (not that I would buy it anyway, I don't care about pets)
    Pretty much this.
    Honestly, it will probably do some good and reduce third-party gold selling as long as people aren't idiots and flood the market right away (they will.)
    We're whalers on the moon,
    We carry a harpoon,
    But there ain't no whales
    So we tell tall tales
    And sing our whaling tune

Quote Originally Posted by Callax View Post
    I'm sorry, but where did it ever say anybody would spend 25k gold on it? In my entire WoW career (I've played since beta mind you), I've never, EVER met someone that would pay that much gold for a vanity pet.
    no way could i have just pulled a number out of my ass. no way.

better idea. it cost 10$ online for bop. it cost 25kg to buy from vendor and is bop. giving a gold sink for the econ, and preventing the issue of people essentially paying $$ for gold.

that way it is available to those with the money and those with the time. and for those with neither, well tough itll just be yet another thing u dont have the time to get.
    Mal: "We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."
    ~Firefly~

Free to play is the future of mmo's. Blizz knows this and its the direction they are heading. They will sell more and more in game stuff. They will limit what they sell in wow. Free to play is financially better for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Callax View Post
    A company wanting to make money? Never heard of that before.
    This is a terrible argument/defense. Blizzard is not just a company. If money was their only interest they'd be an insurance broker or bank. They are a game developer, to this generation, video games have become art. As much is money is important, so is making a wonderful product. It is not all about the profit.
    1% of the Heroes control 100% of the winrates
    #occupyantimage
    #occupynaturesprophet

I am glad they are doing this. It makes it even easier for me to quit this game for SWTOR. So I guess I should have voted good idea instead of bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    Slippery fucking slope is slippery fucking slope.
    Except they've been on this slope since the Sparkle Pony (and really, the Spectral Tiger before that). It's one hell of a slope apparently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here I was wondering why I hadn't seen any of you crazy doomsayers pooping about this mount and it was because my topics were set to "Off-topic".

Quote Originally Posted by Sgtsparkles View Post
    Your opinion is anything but unbiased, and it's also an unreal exaggeration, insulting, and generally childish. Buying 200 lions? At 10$ a pop? Did you even read what you wrote?
    I believe it's as a unbiased as it gets - I'm no blizzard hater preaching wow's doomsday at the hands of <insert random mmo>. First of all, I was trying to give an example, which you apparently took for a real situation. That doesn't mean it can't happen. I've seen people buying their kids a 80.000 euro car, even though they won't be able to drive it (legally) for at least 6 years. Who are you to deem my reply as an "unreal exaggeration, insulting, and generally childish"? I would say my point stands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssith View Post
    this is my main issue with it.

and i think they should just finally come out and offer a "pet" that vendors for 25k gold and sell it for $10, since that's basically what this is. i have no problem at all with games based on microtransactions. but on that same note, if they ARE going to start supporting their game with microtransactions, they need to reduce or remove the fee to play the game in the first place.
    There is a huge difference between what they are doing and what you are proposing. They're adding a safe expensive way to buy gold for money - sure - however, it's limited in the fact that it requires you to spend the time selling it, with a ever reducing market to sell said pet too. No new money is generated from this, therefore the actual market isn't affected = the ingame rich become poorer, and the poor become richer. Note: This shouldn't affect the value of the gold that characters already have, therefore doesn't Penalize those who don't use it.

What you're suggesting would cause a massive influx of new gold into the economy, causing massive inflation and reducing the value of gold on a server. This therefore negatively affects anyone who doesn't buy gold as their gold will continue to decrease in value.

If they were ever going to start selling gold, this is the best possible way to do it with the least negative side effects.

---------- Post added 2011-10-10 at 09:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I believe it's as a unbiased as it gets - I'm no blizzard hater preaching wow's doomsday at the hands of <insert random mmo>. First of all, I was trying to give an example, which you apparently took for a real situation. That doesn't mean it can't happen. I've seen people buying their kids a 80.000 euro car, even though they won't be able to drive it (legally) for at least 6 years. Who are you to deem my reply as an "unreal exaggeration, insulting, and generally childish"? I would say my point stands.
    You're example was pretty awful tbf.

If you were to buy 200, you'd then have to spend a hell of a lot of time selling them, while the price of each drops as you are adding more and more into what's likely to be a saturated market anyway. If you had instead spent said $2000 on a handful of TCG mounts, you would probably make more gold at a quicker pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbz View Post
    You're example was pretty awful tbf.

If you were to buy 200, you'd then have to spend a hell of a lot of time selling them, while the price of each drops as you are adding more and more into what's likely to be a saturated market anyway. If you had instead spent said $2000 on a handful of TCG mounts, you would probably make more gold at a quicker pace.
    You didn't get what I was saying, either. I wasn't comparing buying the car with buying the 200 pets (which, as I've said, was a number I pulled out of my ass, don't take it so seriously). I was merely trying to point out that there are kids with access to significant amounts of money. That being said, I won't debate whether or not some random kid who's parents got loads of cash buys 200 lions, I'm just saying IT IS possible, and it DOES affect economy.

First Diablo 3 and now this, they are trying really hard to appear as the most greedy gaming company ever, aren't they?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    You didn't get what I was saying, either. I wasn't comparing buying the car with buying the 200 pets (which, as I've said, was a number I pulled out of my ass, don't take it so seriously). I was merely trying to point out that there are kids with access to significant amounts of money. That being said, I won't debate whether or not some random kid who's parents got loads of cash buys 200 lions, I'm just saying IT IS possible, and it DOES affect economy.
    I'm not denying that people may do it, all I'm saying is that it's perfectly doable now with TCG - this is just a quicker, lower volume option.

Ingame gold is only being moved about, therefore the addition of pets shouldn't affect the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Because everyone that buys it with the purpose of putting it on AH and getting loads of gold, is going to get SO disappointed! There will be loads of pets on the AH and the price will start at several thousand gold, but within 24 hours, it will be down to a few hundred, simply because there are so many of them. VERY few people will make enough gold to really notice it...
    This is pretty much what is going to happen.

A whole bunch of people will end up buying this with the intent of making gold, but there will end up being too many on the AH and the price will fall drastically. At best, a few people might a decent amount of gold, but once the AH starts to get flooded with these, the price will go down.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am pretty sure that buying the pet doesn't mean your buying gold. If I happen to ever want to buy one and it sends me money as well I will be the first to report it here.

To be serious, the Blue Dragon Whelp sold for outrageous gold for many years because of its low drop rate in game. Your basically saying that it should have been free for everyone and buyable from a vendor. The thing about economies is that if something is common it becomes worth less. Since everyone is going to try to make a buck off this pet I doubt you will see it sold for more than a few thousand gold for any amount of time.