Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I think WoW would be perfectly fine if they'd just freaking SEPARATE all of the abilities for PvP and PvE. Really annoying when something gets stupid broken in Arenas, and blizzard nerfs it so it becomes useless in PvE. Rift had no problem separating the two, I don't see why big ol' WoW can't do it.
    Their main focus has always been PvE, honestly it has been very few times they nerfed something that was somewhat useful in PvE because of PvP.

I personnally don't mind it as I also enjoy PvE sometimes (unlike most pvper's), but most people get angry when their spec get nerfed in a way that affects PvP due to too much healing/dmg/w/e in PvE

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxJr View Post
    because i want to, because its fun, because that is what multiplayer games are for (most of them) and why not, so why do you play and MMO for PVE?
    Quick thing chum, it's not just an mmo, it's an mmoRPG.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
    And in my perspective; I personally don't understand why you would play PvE in this game when it's the farthest thing from challenging. But
    I stated that I play for storyline, avatar development and seeing content and just doing shit with friends.

Not really, unless you expect every class and every spec to be viable which is silly.
    Eh, imo they should be. Why play a game where you cant play how you want?

You would prefer to get global'd? I'm sorry didn't you just make a comment about nothing being skill based, yet you want fights to be shorter...? Doesn't that completely contradict your earlier point?
    I dont see how fights being shorter will detract from skill. Its like saying F.E.A.R took less skill than Quake 4 before because it was faster - when I felt F.E.A.R was alot more skill based because you best make sure you got the first shot - if you don't you best be good as hell to turn the tables. I like games that make you play paranoid. I honestly think if any class gets the jump on you, you should feel it and have to work your ass off to turn the tables - I dont feel WoW is that way.

CC is what provides strategy. Coming from an 'rts' player, I don't know why you would be complaining about that.
    Ok, I don't mean to sound like an elitist ass but...but..just lawl. Dont even TRY to compare strategy in an MMO to an RTS. CC is sort of strategy....I just laughed out lout in RL, true story.

What? You just said fights last too long. If there were big numbers then the fights wouldn't be lasting that long would they?
    I meant number of players. 4 average players against 1 awesome player = the 4 average players winning.

Strategy? Outplaying your opponents? The same thing that everybody finds gratifying about any type of PvP. You've barely touched PvP, from my understanding all you have is one set of S9 vicious and some S10 vicious/ruth? Have you even broken the 2k bracket to where it becomes more and more about proper cooldown management and outplaying your opponents? Rogues are far from a faceroll class, you get out as much as you put in.
    Sorry, Im not going to grind arena ratings to get to a point where this supposedly becomes "competitive". Why would you do that? I can hop into an RTS or an FPS from the get go and start owning or get owned. I don't have to grind a rating.
    LOL @ Mathz

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Because it's a pve game, every patch, expansion and raid is about the story of the game, where as the pvp is more of a playpen you can run around in now and then. Fact.
    Sorry but farming the same set of raids every single week for 6+ months isn't really compelling story for me, but that might be your slice of cake - which is why I said in my perspective.

PvE is what I playpen around in every now and then. I don't need to constantly keep my skills up, nor farm any gear. I've been sitting in the same set of heroic gear since February and still able to tackle every raid, but it puts me to sleep. I don't have to constantly be on my toes with my cc's and interrupts.

Kaeja - Stormrage
    // Thanks to maybenotquiteasheavy for the Signature & Avatar! //

Quote Originally Posted by criminalmind View Post
    1.) Crazy class imbalances
    It's actually a lot better than it used to be.

2.) The obvious fact that skill doesn't matter (if it did a "talented" player could destroy 4 average players - without a pocket healer - no matter what class
    Actually skill matters a lot in WoW PvP.

3.) The majority of the WoW PVP community is another level of terrible (no offense, just stating what I see).
    The majority of the vocal community in WoW is terrible in general. Not just PvP.

4.) Healers
    Healing isn't really that bad nowadays. The real issue is that PvP isn't balanced around 2v2.

5.) Resilience
    Not really a bad thing. It's simply a easy way for blizzard to balance PvP damage around PvE.

6.) Fights take way too long (see #5)
    I don't think so. The only fights that last way too long is the rare healer/dps vs healer/dps fights in 2v2.

7.) CC is annoying (I played rogue and annoying the hell outta people with CC was probably the funnest part - did get old fast though)
    CC is what makes or breaks PvP in WoW. You can tell if a person is skilled or not in how they use their CC.

8.) Faceroll comps (Warlock/Shaman/X lawl)
    Warlock/shaman/X isn't really as faceroll as people think. This comp is topping the ladders because it has a higher skill cap from it's high amount of utility and often CC (see 7). If you want a faceroll comp you should look at TSG or something similar which relies simply on damage.

9.) Numbers matter more than skill (see #2)
    See 2.

10.) FoTM classes.
    The FoTM classes aren't as strong compared to everything else as they used to be. See 1.

11.) The crazy waves of nerfs and buffs
    I can agree on this. I think Blizzard has a bad habit of going over the top when they nerf or buff causing more over the top nerfs or buffs to be implemented to balance things out.
    Last edited by Kakokun; 2011-10-11 at 04:41 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but farming the same set of raids every single week for 6+ months isn't really compelling story for me, but that might be your slice of cake - which is why I said in my perspective.

PvE is what I playpen around in every now and then. I don't need to constantly keep my skills up, nor farm any gear. I've been sitting in the same set of heroic gear since February and still able to tackle every raid, but it puts me to sleep. I don't have to constantly be on my toes with my cc's and interrupts.
    Well obviously farming isn't a part of the story, but how is farming the same boss any different than grinding bg's?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxJr View Post
    because i want to, because its fun, because that is what multiplayer games are for (most of them) and why not, so why do you play an MMO for PVE?
    /sigh
    "I stated that I play for storyline, avatar development and seeing content and just doing shit with friends"

Basically if I wanna relax and just want to play a game for lawlz.
    LOL @ Mathz

talk about quote battles..

Deleted
    Honest question. I originally only played WoW for PVE and have never understood why people bother with PVP. I decided to finally give PVP an honest shot this season. I PVPed quite a bit this season (enough to get full S9 gear on my alt Rogue and do some arena and get a couple pieces of s10) and I still don't get the attraction. I feel like I gave it an honest effort.

Now, I played FPS back in the day for my PVP fix now I mostly do RTS for PVPness.

I just don't understand why you would choose WoW for PVP - here are the reason why:

1.) Crazy class imbalances
    2.) The obvious fact that skill doesn't matter (if it did a "talented" player could destroy 4 average players - without a pocket healer - no matter what class
    3.) The majority of the WoW PVP community is another level of terrible (no offense, just stating what I see).
    4.) Healers
    5.) Resilience
    6.) Fights take way too long (see #5)
    7.) CC is annoying (I played rogue and annoying the hell outta people with CC was probably the funnest part - did get old fast though)
    8.) Faceroll comps (Warlock/Shaman/X lawl)
    9.) Numbers matter more than skill (see #2)
    10.) FoTM classes.
    11.) The crazy waves of nerfs and buffs

There is more but this is what comes to mind right now.

Just want to know what people find so attractive about this kinda PVP. Maybe Im missing something? But I think I think Ill stick to tanking on my DK.
    1) Crazy imbalance you say? The balance is decent atm it's just the mmr system that's fucked.
    2) Skill doesnt matter? Why arent you 3k and playing with talbadar, Neilyo and the bois then? Skill does matter to some extent, class + comp does aswell.
    3) Agree
    4) Healers is great for arena adds more skill imo. Some healers have to be really good to succeed in arena.
    5) Resiliance is good, to sort the pve scrabs from the pvpers. You can't force people todo both pve and pvp.
    6) Fights take way to long? Ohboi you are experienced in arena. 2v2 IS NOT WHAT BLIZZARD IS BALANCING THE GAME AROUND! They balance it around 3v3 and if you can't kill people fast then just quit tbh.
    7) It's annoying to sit in cc "cry" "cry" "cry", is that an argument? Just because you cba sit in cc you want the game to be a total zerg party or hack and slash game? Sure, go play tsg vs tsg and there you go no cc what so ever.
    8) Faceroll to some EXTENT, Rogues is pretty op aswell now so... They are the strongest class yes but not unbeatable if you don't suck balls that is.
    9)...
    10) Yea okey, ur point was? There's fotm classes in the game therefor it must be bad.
    11) Agree, although they don't change that much.

This is just a post about pve being better than pvp and that op doesnt enjoy pvp therefor no one else should. He must also share it with the community that cares so much about his opinion.

Deleted
    I play PvP casually, mainly just BGs, because it's fun. I rarely do arenas, only some 3s on non-Raid nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrjockeez View Post
    This is just a post about pve being better than pvp and that op doesnt enjoy pvp therefor no one else should.
    No, its not. This is actually spurred from a conversation I was having with some Company of Heroes friends about why people play WoW PVP when the system is pretty broken. I don't care what other people do, I just want to know what attracts them to it.

Please go nerd rage elsewhere.
    LOL @ Mathz

I dont see how fights being shorter will detract from skill. Its like saying F.E.A.R took less skill than Quake 4 before because it was faster - when I felt F.E.A.R was alot more skill based because you best make sure you got the first shot - if you don't you best be good as hell to turn the tables. I like games that make you play paranoid. I honestly think if any class gets the jump on you, you should feel it and have to work your ass off to turn the tables - I dont feel WoW is that way.
    If I get jumped by a feral or rogue, they immediately have an advantage, and I have to turn the tables. It's as much skill to keep your advantage as it is to take. Any good rogue/feral can knock me down pretty hard and I have to bait out their interrupts to keep myself alive. It honestly sounds like you just want to play an FPS game, which is what WoW will never be.

Ok, I don't mean to sound like an elitist ass but...but..just lawl. Dont even TRY to compare strategy in an MMO to an RTS. CC is sort of strategy....I just laughed out lout in RL, true story.
    My mistake then, what strategy would you like added to make this game more competitive?

I meant number of players. 4 average players against 1 awesome player = the 4 average players winning.
    Not true at all, my elemental shaman and mage can both do 1x4. I have to work my ass off but if were talking average players, it's all about cooldown management. There's plenty of videos on WCM with great player vs. x amount of players. (warcraftmovies.com)

Sorry, Im not going to grind arena ratings to get to a point where this supposedly becomes "competitive". Why would you do that? I can hop into an RTS or an FPS from the get go and start owning or get owned. I don't have to grind a rating.
    If you were to play against top tier'd people, you would get rolled. Doesn't SC2 have a similar ladder system? Best players at the top, new players at the bottom? Honestly if you wanted the top tier'd gladiators playing against you in the 1500 bracket you probably would of stopped playing immediately. Its to give new players a chance to learn how to play.

Kaeja - Stormrage

I have only really played fps so WoW PvP is kind of unique for me. There are pros and cons with it just like everything else. Pretty much everything you listed OP is true but you may have overlooked the pros. You won't really find many PvP games that require much strategy or that are probably as rewarding at a high level. I have stopped doing PvP in WoW though because the cons you listed really have outweighed the pros now for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Well obviously farming isn't a part of the story, but how is farming the same boss any different than grinding bg's?
    Because when I do BGs I technically have 30 different "bosses" I could be paired against. Every spec plays differently and you need to adjust accordingly. Especially if it's 1 vs. X. I prefer the constant change of strategy every queue.

Kaeja - Stormrage

10+ Year Old Account
    Of those 11 points you posted, I only find about 3 of them to have any truth to them.

You think resilience is bad for PvP? LOL!

Deleted
    No, its not. This is actually spurred from a conversation I was having with some Company of Heroes friends about why people play WoW PVP when the system is pretty broken. I don't care what other people do, I just want to know what attracts them to it.

Please go nerd rage elsewhere.
    You haven't even played arena at higher levels and you say that the system is broken. I just do't get where you got that info from. The simple reason is that it's fairly competetive it's a fun game where you meet alot of new people while playing arena. This wasn't a nerdrage but I do laugh when pve people tries to make a post why pvp is bad just because they fail at it so hard. I have been playing cs 1.6 competetive and I do like that but imo I'm having more fun in arena.

Deleted
    @ Venziir
    If we want talk about story, the old lore story was much better, this "post lore story" is only one way to stretch something that would have ended already

Not true at all, my elemental shaman and mage can both do 1x4. I have to work my ass off but if were talking average players, it's all about cooldown management. There's plenty of videos on WCM with great player vs. x amount of players. (warcraftmovies.com)
    Everytime someone points me to a site to prove a point I just see someone who severely out-gears other players blowing them up.

---------- Post added 2011-10-11 at 04:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    @ Venziir
    If we want talk about story, the old lore story was much better, this "post lore story" is only one way to stretch something that would have ended already
    Very true.
    LOL @ Mathz

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    @ Venziir
    That's your opinion mate, nothing more. It certainly isn't fact, not to mention that I happen to disagree obviously. There is no "old" or "new" story, it's one long story. Unless you are thinking of the Wc1 and Wc2 story lines, but they have both been altered. And why should it have ended? Because we killed the Lich King?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrjockeez View Post
    You haven't even played arena at higher levels and you say that the system is broken. I just do't get where you got that info from. The simple reason is that it's fairly competetive it's a fun game where you meet alot of new people while playing arena. This wasn't a nerdrage but I do laugh when pve people tries to make a post why pvp is bad just because they fail at it so hard. I have been playing cs 1.6 competetive and I do like that but imo I'm having more fun in arena.
    Eh, like I said, I don't think I should have to grind a rating to enjoy balanced play.
    LOL @ Mathz