Update (7:10 AM EDT): The Blizzard press conference is over. A Blizzcon style presentation, some videos, and a teaser await us tomorrow! (VG247)
WoW Down to 5.6 Million Subscribers
Blizzard has their Q2 2015 earnings call today, announcing that WoW is down to 5.6 million subscribers at the end of Q2 2015. This is down 1.5 million from the Q1 2015 call that listed WoW at 7.1 million subscribers.
- More developers are working on World of Warcraft than ever before.
- The Warcraft movie is a chance to expose Warcraft's lore to new audiences and increase interest in World of Warcraft overall.
- The subscriber count was down in the east, in part due to Diablo 3 release.
- Patch 6.2 helped to stabilize the subscriber count in the last few weeks of the quarter.
- Blizzard has been listening to players experiences during Warlords of Draenor and thinks players will be excited by the announcement this week
- Tokens are included in this timeframe, as they launched in Q2.
- Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and Destiny combined now have more than 70 million registered players.
- Blizzard Entertainment had the largest online player community in its history, with Q2 MAUsB up 50% year-over
- Hearthstone engagement metrics nearly doubled year over year, largely on account of the new content and new platforms
- Diablo III has now sold-through over 30 million units life-to-date globally.