Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"Like" buttons on the forums

Would it be possible to have like buttons on here like on Facebook or Wowhead? Doesn't have to be a dislike or downrate. Just so that people who make positive and constructive comments can have their comments recognized a little more? Like wowhead does a good job because as you know when you look up comments for things you'll see that the ones which are highly rated are either very funny or very constructive and help people.

Deleted
    No, not gonna happen. Has been stated several times already.

It could either turn out quite good or it could turn out HORRIBLE personally I wouldn't be much for it and I doubt they are going to add it, but hey if they do I'll live with it : )

It would be used to downrate people you disagree with and uprate those you agree with. Is that what you want?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    *tries to find "like" button*
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

15+ Year Old Account
    It has been discussed several times before in both public and private ways, but the following conclusion has been made:
    As soon as a "like" or "dislike" button will be applied to posts, the sooner people will start abusing it and up their own post or down-rate other people their post simply because they "dislike" that person.
    This issue happens on a fair amount that already has this system (most notable: Youtube) where people dislike something not because its bad or anything, but simply because they themself dislike it. As soon as this happens (IE: People posting what they think is balance. As example Ill use Frost Mages) you will get the following:

Quote Originally Posted by IAmMelee
    I think the best way to deal with Ring of Frost is making it apply a Debuff that makes the player caught in the Circle of Frost to be unable to get Frozen again in a 5 seconds time period, allowing them to actually escape the Ring of Frost rather than being "Frost Locked".
    Now, all Melee will start "Liking" it (most likely at least), but most Frost Mages will "down-rate" the post. Not because its a bad or good post, but simply because they them self do not agree or just want to see frost mages at the bottom of the charts.

Of course, the best would be if people would only "dislike" stuff like Trolling posts, flamers and other naughty people, but this won't happen.
    The button will be abused, and will most likely never be implanted on the forums.
    Dawwwwwww

Deleted
    I'd like a "Like" button too. Downrating should never be added, though.

It's very nice giving positive feedback to a fun or insightful post and even more nice receiving it. It makes posting and commenting feel more worthwhile, more fun.

A common solution I've seen on many online forums is a "Thank"-button. Have the button say "Thank <username> for this post" and add a line to the actual post saying "15 users thanked <username> for this post".

More love, for God's sake!
    Last edited by mmoc0a04ed3db8; 2011-01-29 at 12:23 PM.

^ Exactly.

Though you ought to have more faith in humanity bahumut5, and here's why. N4G, GameTrailers, sites with huge amount of users have adopted this style of "rating" of posts/users and while there's always tons and tons of people raging (flaming), there's still healthy discussions and distribution of "points." Yeah you will get the occasional bipolar situation where a good post gets thumbed down to infinity but that's mostly out of shits and giggles. The same goes with "bad" posts and the like.

About the user's personal "promotion" if you will, the idea is to have people more identifying themselves through their likes/dislikes and have their attitude cemented in a notion they find desirable. As for the positive/negative "thumb" count, well, you can argue whether someone thumbs them down just for the sake of thumbing them down but, in the end, the majority of players aren't stupid by nature (or evil at that) so constructive/cleaver posters will never have to worry about anything.
    Last edited by Dragonshardz; 2011-01-29 at 12:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonshardz View Post
    Though you ought to have more faith in humanity bahumut5
    You are not a mod, so this misconception is understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    You are not a mod, so this misconception is understandable.
    Believe me, comparing these forums with a website dedicated to news from console and PC games, as well as reviews and "better than" articles and still having the "nerve" to actually believe in a community with all its flaws and on a grander scale (no matter the occupation - mod or not) is not a misconception

Deleted
    I've been thinking about this all day now. I really really want a Like-button. :3

(Yes, I may need more things to worry about, haha.)

15+ Year Old Account
    It's something we've considered doing, and it's a possibility for the future. Dislike buttons probably have a potential for abuse, but if there's only a "like" button or a positive karma system, it might work well. We just need to figure out the best method for our particular forums and have the time to implement it well.

The ones on wowhead don't work at all.... good posts often get hidden for no reason at all.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

in my opinion it would save alot of spamming of the same idea in different words
    im for a like button not so for a dislike

Deleted
    Possibly a karma system, scaling the amount of karma "points" with the karma level of the user themselves.
    Example:
    Code:
    Karma level             Positive                          Negative
    1-15                      1                                   0
    16-30                     2                                   0
    31-70                     3                                   0
    71-99                     4                                   0
    100-x                     5                                   2
    etc. You see where I'm going.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    It's something we've considered doing, and it's a possibility for the future. Dislike buttons probably have a potential for abuse, but if there's only a "like" button or a positive karma system, it might work well. We just need to figure out the best method for our particular forums and have the time to implement it well.
    But you gotta have a downrank button!

I like the idea of being able to promote posts. There have been times, I'm sure, when all of us have wished we could "thumbs up" an insightful post by a user. I really like the idea of thanking people as well.

And even with a "positives only" system in place, it could be limited to users who have contributed meaningfully - say, having been registered for six months with a post count of 50 (since many, many people simply browse and hardly post, so it would have to be pretty lenient).

The Wowhead system works well. It doesn't work perfectly, and you get a handful of complaints from people who don't understand why their comment was downrated - and on the flipside, you get obtuse, inane comments and pointless statements promoted - but the majority of the time the green comments are worth reading; and even sometimes just hilarious because some people just get it.
    For the Alliance!

Yes, but Wowhead is different. First, it is not a forum for discussions. It is not a place where you can flash your epeen. All posts have specific subject (item, npc, whatever they are commenting) while on forums many threads have no subject. Or their subject are people themselves which opens ways for flaming.

People come to wowhead to share some info about specific subject, or to find this info. People come to forum to discuss, troll, flame and have fun
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

this isn't facebook

I've had enough "Thumbs up if x" comments on youtube thank you very much...