Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Point blank shooting with a bow....weird.
    Well it happened in Warcraft 3 all the time. So yeah!
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2011-10-22 at 12:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsagget View Post
    Thank god, we needed this, this is so good for Pvp and PvE tbh, now..they just need to buff the bows/armor to compensate for the loss of a melee weapon...(That agility from my axe matters you know)
    Everybody will loose their stat-stick stats. So no, you don't need compensation.

Deleted
    Awesome change.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    What he means is Bows require momentum, if you press an arrow against a melon and release it won't pierce the melon
    Momentum = mass x velocity

Neither mass nor velocity will change regardless of position during flight (whether it be initial, midway or final) except for perhaps velocity due to air resistance, which is quite negligible and works against your logic.

tldr: doesn't matter where you shoot an arrow from a horizontal perspective, momentum only comes from gravity (unless we're talking about rocket propelled arrows)

Deleted
    Does this mean Hunters only weapon will be their bow/crossbow/gun? Interesting but a little disappointing on an RP point of view but YAY NO MORE MINIMUM RANGE! The bane of my hunters questing! I guess the ranged slot removal is to make bows/guns/crossbows exclusive to Hunters but the wands becoming main hand weapons confuses me a little, does this mean no wand with 2h staff? Got to say though seeing Warriors throw their 5ft long weapon at enemies will look hilarious
    Yeah, because warriors can't throw their weapon now. Oh wait..

A few other games would like a word with you about point-blank bow shots. That said, if you're playing WoW for realism, you might want to reconsider things a bit... =P Frankly, melee should be scary for a hunter because they're getting beat on, not because they can't shoot. It's not fair to them that I can shut them down by pretty much being on them CONSTANTLY so they can't hurt me. (And opposite side, I think it is BS I can't do a bloody thing to someone because they're standing next to me unless I melee, which is not why we rolled a hunter. You would think our skill would include how to be effective at point blank.) Also, mind - not every hunter USES bows - a gun is damn lethal at close range, and Crossbows should still be pretty painful too; why should 2 types of weapons be unrealistic because of one other in terms of use? (And really, by that token, ye olde guns of a few centuries ago were only accurate at short range anyway.)

Honestly, this means NO MORE STUPID FIGHTS BETWEEN DRUIDS AND HUNTERS. Ugh. I'm sick to death of the dumb arguments over this. Or hey, rogues taking bows/guns/crossbows for the ilvl v. the hunter who uses it for DPSing. (Or even Warriors. Had a few do that to me.) Or the warrior bloodbaths when a hunter would roll on a str-based ranged. (Although I WILL be fair; it's dumb anyway to a degree, AND the fact that strbased-ranged weps were hard to come by never helps either for Cata.)

Honestly, the relics became stat-sticks anyway because of whining for unfairness, and it made no sense to hand most of the relic users guns/wands/etc. and making a BUNCH of spec/class specific bonuses was getting obnoxious likely (and I hated it, personally. Almost felt required to carry a few around for their effects some days...) And frankly, the only reason the stat sticks remained was "legacy" in some ways - Hunters needed it because bows were a ranged weapon, and their primary source of DPS.

Also, if you want to talk about warriors throwing their huge weapons ... watch a Arms or even Titan's Grip fury warrior use Heroic Throw. We already do. (And it is pretty damn amusing. :3 ...)

Edit: also, depends on the bow in use on whether it can/would tolerate closer range shots for piercing. Composite bows and high tension/high strength required bows to draw would have plenty of force on release to likely still do damage to that melon and/or pierce it. Also depends on the nature of the ammo you'd be using - and what you're impacting.
    Last edited by Khevis; 2011-10-22 at 12:45 PM.

If the hunter is within 5 yards of the person they're attacking with their bow, they should get a penalty to their damage

Deleted
    Horrible changes for roleplayers. That said, also unrealistic looking. I mean as a rogue do I throw fist weapons at an enemy? Can I throw a warglaive at them? Then they come back? Like boomerangs?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khonorum View Post
    If the hunter is within 5 yards of the person they're attacking with their bow, they should get a penalty to their damage
    That would be crap in PvE so they won't do that ever...

hallelujah, praise the lord

i'm willing to give up melee weapons for no minimum range!

no thanks, we're good

So long as the same amount of potential energy is used to pull the arrow back, the amount of "damage" would be the same and in most cases more the closer you are to the target....

Deleted
    What he means is Bows require momentum, if you press an arrow against a melon and release it won't pierce the melon
    It is entirely dependant upon the force of which the arrow is flug out of the bowstring. It could be from 10 feet away, or 1 foot away - it'd still go through if you put enough force into your drawing of the bow.

Either that, or they can just stab people in the eyes with the arrows in close combat. Or bonk them on the head with their bow.

I love the idea. Nice one, Blizz.

So hunter will have guns, bows and crossbows on their back? This should be cool.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would like you to go to a local business that sell cheap starter equipment for bowhunting. Buy the cheapest children's bow you can find, also buy an arrow tipped with a broadhead. Next you are gonna need a friend and a video camera because I would like you to have your friend nock an arrow draw the bow back and for you to place your hand right up against the broadhead. Have your friend let loose the arrow and see what happens. Make sure to film all of this and post it here so we can confirm the results.

Bloodsail Admiral Killmaim Deathbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whats going to happen with rogues that have Thoridal?

Must you make a thread about every little interesting thing you see, OP?

Does this mean Hunters only weapon will be their bow/crossbow/gun? Interesting but a little disappointing on an RP point of view but YAY NO MORE MINIMUM RANGE! The bane of my hunters questing! I guess the ranged slot removal is to make bows/guns/crossbows exclusive to Hunters but the wands becoming main hand weapons confuses me a little, does this mean no wand with 2h staff? Got to say though seeing Warriors throw their 5ft long weapon at enemies will look hilarious
    For Hunters I think its a wonderful change. Same with relics being gone. What I don't understand currently is for casters (Locks, Mages, Priests). If we don't have a MH like a Hammer or Sword how does one see it's weapon unless we unsheathe it out?

15+ Year Old Account
    The things that annoyed me most about the range was you would be out of focus, go to do steady shot/cobra shot and the person would get in your way and cancel the attack. Or you would be moving with fox up and do the same and it'll get canceled again. Used to make me rage so much on bosses with huge hitboxes, such as occu'thar in BH.

Also the mobs that are faster than you and instantly move where you move, was no way to attack them besides melee. For example in BT the other day while going for my polearm (no need anymore, lol) there was one add left alive, disengage/fd on cd, couldn't for the life of me get away from him. So i melee'd his ass!

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I hope that there's something added along the lines of... "If within X yards of target you do X% less damage"...

This is coming from a Hunter too.. I don't want to be a Melee Hunter, and don't want to be standing with Melee while raiding unless it's actually required for the fight.

Honestly? A hunter should just be able to stand there and fire arrows at full strength while he's getting mauled by a melee class? If not a damage penalty, then at blizzard could lower the chance to hit if the hunter is within 5yards of the enemy player. Everybody knows MoP is going to be focusing on pvp endgame more. Hunters already have no trouble getting in position during those stacking situations and aoe heals. How would it affect PvP? just my 2c.

Well said, bleedinghollow.