Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I think now is the perfect time for GW2 to be released, people are getting bored of wow, and leaving it more now than EVER before, Guild Wars 2 is different and innovative, people will flock to it. All ArenaNET have to do is keep the players once they are there, But the original GuildWars series kept players for a long time, due to the amazing PvP system, and people who like to farm and collect had so much content it was unreal, then you had the Hardmode of the entire campaign to play through, on 4 different campaigns it was outstanding, but got stale, im hoping they don't make the same mistake this time around!

My honest opinion is that GW2 will not attract the same kind of cult following as wow, simply because at endgame there is not going to be anything that would inspire 25-40 people to bang their heads on their desks for 7 hours a night 5 nights a week.

It is however going to be a good game, it has awesome graphics good combat and a good story, so I still think it's going to do well, just different. More of a casual playerbase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svava View Post
    My honest opinion is that GW2 will not attract the same kind of cult following as wow, simply because at endgame there is not going to be anything that would inspire 25-40 people to bang their heads on their desks for 7 hours a night 5 nights a week.
    I would almost go as far as to say that only the mentally challenged would try and kill a WoW boss 7 hours a night 5 nights a week. Hell, it's painful enough to do that 4 hours a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

As long as the changes are well thought and have good design backing them then there is no problem, good design > everything. Let's just hope there's some endgame included in that good design

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svava View Post

It is however going to be a good game, it has awesome graphics good combat and a good story, so I still think it's going to do well, just different. More of a casual playerbase.
    I don't see how you could even say that considering they haven't even released endgame content yet. The giant raid bosses you have seen in videos thus far are not end game.

If Guild Wars succeeds, it'll be BECAUSE it is different. No one wants to play WoW with different graphics, or rather, people who want to change games from WoW, or dislike WoW, do not want a copy of WoW. The reason none of these so called "WoW clones" aren't becoming huge successes is because it's just the same old thing, and the other companies can't make up for years of polish that Blizzard has put into WoW.

Ive played GW2 a few times now at conventions.
    It smells of warhammer online(open world events etc etc), ive said it many times but it does, so thats got the 'it has got a little bit of clonage' out the way.
    Ive got to say though it looks great plays great , great open world events/combat system. Cant say too much more really as it was only demo's etc.
    It should be succesfull imo as it brings something along that will grab alot of players just like swtor will , it cant be denied.
    Only thing is in long term i dont know or anybody else how it will end up, thats down to the developers ie end game etc etc etc , same for warcraft same for swtor same goes for gw2.
    Ill just say i will buy it as it free2play is kinda one of the biggest selling points if not the biggest.
    It has its own unique things in it just like the others(swtor/wow) , People need to pick and play what there attracted too or play them all like me and stop with the bashing :P
    All in all it looks good , plays ok but like i stated above , who knows how it will end up. Thats down to the guys making it.
    Last edited by BatteredSausage; 2011-10-27 at 09:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daragonis View Post
    Yeah I've actually heard from people who've played it that once you get used to the idea of dodging it's actually pretty action packed. It's like everyone having Disengage xD
    Indeed. Slightly off-topic, but can you dodge forward as well? Or in any direction you want, I would like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    Indeed. Slightly off-topic, but can you dodge forward as well? Or in any direction you want, I would like that.
    I'd assume that you can dodge roll in the four cardinal directions...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by AlamarAtMMOC View Post
    Some people will adjust... Some won't... And it's definitely looking 'clunky' to some people that don't play shooters... Just consider the fact that you quite likely have to use two hands more often...

Going back to WoW, because it's a familiar example, I can raid effectively (important word there) with one hand... I don't have to (I have two hands : ), but at times during some fights, it just makes more sense to keyboard turn (ewwww) while casting, moving, etc... And at other times it makes more sense to click skills (ewwww) while moving/turning with the mouse... And yes, I'll admit, a lot of the time it is food (or more accurately for me, drink) related, but nonetheless, I could go the whole multi-hour raid with one hand and still top effectiveness...
    needing to have both hands on the controlls is clunky for you? While I'll admit to eating/drinking a few times while raiding and going one handed for short stretches any time I'm doing significant movement its both hands on deck. I use a razor naga for my mouse so I have about half of my keybinds over there on the thumb grid. I loose a significant amount of effectiveness going one handed for very long. Even befor geting the naga I was only about 2/3 as effective one handed as with both hands. If you play an arcane mage where all you have to do is press 1 1 1 2 and ocasionaly move out of fire you can get away with raiding 1 handed for an hour+ if the fight is fairly simple but a high movement fight you'll get yourself killed or run a healer OOM. I know some people have a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time. I've spent at least 3 years raid leading trying to teach those yahoos. However while they can learn to a point most of them will always underperform no mater the game. If they cant handle controlling a game with 2 hands that eliminates most games outside of flight sims, notice every console controller requires both hands.

And yes we all know TotalBiscut is an ass. He loves to bitch and moan about everything. I've followed him off and on for a couple years. In all the games he's reviewed, even the ones he really liked he's always found something negitive to say about it. Always that one flaw that sets him off and he'll spend half the episode ranting about it. GW2 is the first game he's reviewd that he basicly nerdgasimed all the way through not one but several review videos. Comeing from a guy that can complain the sky is too blue thats saying something very positive about the game.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Here is my great fear. Guild Wars 2 isn't doing this "Small change" They are attempting to revolutionize the entire genre in one fell swoop by taking out and replacing long lasting features like Raids, Quests, and the Trinity. It's very different from what WoW is, and is very different from any other MMO that's come out in a while. Will this attempt to change everything attract a large audience of players? Or doom it to underground popularity by being too different.
    I sure hope that they will be successful. This game will attract tons of casual (as opposite of "hardcore") players like myself, who enjoy the MMO gameplay but despise the boring concepts of grinding and progression. My time is very limited, I want to be able to log in and immediately start having fun. Also, it will be very attractive for hardcore PvPers who can do competitive matches in a balanced environment where only skill and teamplay matters.

Besides, for a game to be successful does not mean that it has to get millions of subscribers. Making a profit and having a strong player community is much more important, IMHO. Look as something like Eve Online. They have only a fraction of WoW's players, yet they are very successful - because they deliver good stuff to people that want it. And its enough. I'd rather have few hundred thousand passionate players who actually like and care for the the game than millions of kids who play the game because its "in" (there is that joke about Eve — if a player leves Eve to play WoW, the average IQ of the playerbase of the both games raises ).

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    (there is that joke about Eve — if a player leves Eve to play WoW, the average IQ of the playerbase of the both games raises ).
    i'd have taken that as a fact rather than a joke

I think many people will embrace the changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trikki View Post
    I think many people will embrace the changes.
    Ditto. The reason for so many people being excited about the game, is how different it is to standard MMO's, I think. It's certainly the reason I'm looking forward to it so much.
    Definition of irony:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    And yes we all know TotalBiscut is an ass. He loves to bitch and moan about everything. I've followed him off and on for a couple years. In all the games he's reviewed, even the ones he really liked he's always found something negitive to say about it. Always that one flaw that sets him off and he'll spend half the episode ranting about it. GW2 is the first game he's reviewd that he basicly nerdgasimed all the way through not one but several review videos. Comeing from a guy that can complain the sky is too blue thats saying something very positive about the game.
    If his judgement is flawed when he does make negative comments why is his judgement no longer flawed when he doesn't make such? Or in other words: if his judgement is already shown before to be highly flawed then you still shouldn't trust his judgement when he reviews positively a game you like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    I sure hope that they will be successful. This game will attract tons of casual (as opposite of "hardcore") players like myself, who enjoy the MMO gameplay but despise the boring concepts of grinding and progression. My time is very limited, I want to be able to log in and immediately start having fun. Also, it will be very attractive for hardcore PvPers who can do competitive matches in a balanced environment where only skill and teamplay matters.

Besides, for a game to be successful does not mean that it has to get millions of subscribers. Making a profit and having a strong player community is much more important, IMHO. Look as something like Eve Online. They have only a fraction of WoW's players, yet they are very successful - because they deliver good stuff to people that want it. And its enough. I'd rather have few hundred thousand passionate players who actually like and care for the the game than millions of kids who play the game because its "in" (there is that joke about Eve — if a player leves Eve to play WoW, the average IQ of the playerbase of the both games raises ).
    I have to agree. For the most part I trust TBs judgement. I was glad to hear that he liked the game.

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    If his judgement is flawed when he does make negative comments why is his judgement no longer flawed when he doesn't make such? Or in other words: if his judgement is already shown before to be highly flawed then you still shouldn't trust his judgement when he reviews positively a game you like.
    Its not so much flawed as he's sensationalist and a shockjock. If he finds even the slightest thing wrong he'll blow it way outa proportion. My point is if the king of the complaining nitpickers cant find anything to complain about they must have done something right.

Who is John Galt?

Totalbiscuit also creamed his panties over the Space Marine demo, which, while fun, was really nothing that far off from a hack-and-slash experience for me.

That aside, I certainly can understand his appreciation of GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahzael View Post
    Totalbiscuit also creamed his panties over the Space Marine demo, which, while fun, was really nothing that far off from a hack-and-slash experience for me.

That aside, I certainly can understand his appreciation of GW2.
    The whole reason Totalbiscuit "creamed his panties" over Space Marine was because it was a hack and slash experience. He loved the feeling that he could tear through everything.
    "Someone shoves an m80 up a bullfrogs butt, blows em to pieces. He come back for you to fix it.. You win twice brother, Its good bizz." Joe dirt.

It's not a complete different game. It still has the basic MMO concept, but they just went further and expanded it's features, that's why I think it's going to be really successful. Like someone posted above, someone had to go beyond the MMO "rules". This game offers entertainement for not only casual and hardcore MMO players, but also people that are new to MMO's.

Lets take World of warcraft for an example, it was very confusion at the beginning with all the stats, the talent trees, the gear, etc.