Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    You do understand that it's an MMO and that in every MMO you are standing next to a great many people that are the same as you, right?

I just don't get some of these points that are trying to be made.
    In WoW there's lots of classes, all interesting to play in some ways, so we get to see them all a lot.

But in star wars...I mean.. if anyone rolls something else than a Jedi, well, that's just retarded, why be something else in star wars? Other classes could fit into other sci-fi, but jedi is unique for star wars and choosing something else is dumb.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    In WoW there's lots of classes, all interesting to play in some ways, so we get to see them all a lot.

But in star wars...I mean.. if anyone rolls something else than a Jedi, well, that's just retarded, why be something else in star wars? Other classes could fit into other sci-fi, but jedi is unique for star wars and choosing something else is dumb.
    I'm going to pretend i didn't read this post.

Because not everyone wants to be a jedi? It's like saying after playing WC3 why would you be anything else than a pally.

Also, alot of people choose their class based on their gameplay.

I have not preordered, but may end up purchasing the game on one of my weak moments however, I cannot quite simply see this game reaching the expectations of all those hyping it up.
    We have seen it time and time again, release after release of mmo's breaking into the market and in one way or another they just do not last. In terms of gameplay/graphics/story SWTOR ticks a load of boxes compared to those mmo's of the past but the only box I see which will be its problem is in fact the sci-fi/star wars aspect of what the game is. What I mean is, by going down the sci-fi road your are (imo) limiting yourself to that kind of fanbase. I am fully aware that StarWars is and has been a massive name but will it work in an mmo environment? Will it pull all of those wow subs over to it? I just canot see it due to how different a setting both games are.
    WoW played on a lot of players fantasies and gave us something no one had really given us before (big list not going into it).
    In terms of being succesful will SWOTR do well, well yes ofc but imo it just wont succeed as well as a lot of people in this thread are saying, those people are being a bit biased to there personal feelings and not looking at the bigger picture tbh.

Btw I love wow, played for 6 years, consider myself a 'loyal' player but cannot see it losing a massive load of subs (initally maybe, but wont last) to SWOTR for the reasons above however I can see WoW losing a lot of subs to a certain GW2 that is fast approaching as its hitting the same playerbase that play wow.

Good luck to SWOTR I'm sure the sci-fi fans here will have a great game to play when its released and also give those who want to sub to two mmo's a good second game to play too

PS MY friend summerised up my post for me,
    "If you want Golbins and Pixie's, go play World of Warcraft!"
    "If you want friggin lazer beams, go join the old republic!"
    Last edited by Kesandri; 2011-11-13 at 04:23 PM.
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I forsee alot more than just 2 million at the start. There are alot of people who simply just don't pre order a game, so we just have to wait and see.
    But SWTOR clearly stated that you would get 5 days prior access to the game if you preorder, so why wouldn't you preorder it? It gives you 5 days in advance to level up.

10+ Year Old Account

Hahahahaha

Ok.

Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent, Smuggler, and Troopers will be all over the place killing Jedi and Sith.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Quote Originally Posted by Kesandri View Post
    I have not preordered, but may end up purchasing the game on one of my weak moments however, I cannot quite simply see this game reaching the expectations of all those hyping it up.
    We have seen it time and time again, release after release of mmo's breaking into the market and in one way or another they just do not last. In terms of gameplay/graphics/story SWTOR ticks a load of boxes compared to those mmo's of the past but the only box I see which will be its problem is in fact the sci-fi/star wars aspect of what the game is. What I mean is, by going down the sci-fi road your are (imo) limiting yourself to that kind of fanbase. I am fully aware that StarWars is and has been a massive name but will it work in an mmo environment? Will it pull all of those wow subs over to it? I just canot see it due to how different a setting both games are.
    WoW played on a lot of players fantasies and gave us something no one had really given us before (big list not going into it).
    In terms of being succesful will SWOTR do well, well yes ofc but imo it just wont succeed as well as a lot of people in this thread are saying, those people are being a bit biased to there personal feelings and not looking at the bigger picture tbh.

Btw I love wow, played for 6 years, consider myself a 'loyal' player but cannot see it losing a massive load of subs (initally maybe, but wont last) to SWOTR for the reasons above however I can see WoW losing a lot of subs to a certain GW2 that is fast approaching as its hitting the same playerbase that play wow.

Good luck to SWOTR I'm sure the sci-fi fans here will have a great game to play when its released and also give those who want to sub to two mmo's a good second game to play too
    I think because of this people will play SWTOR. It's different. People who don't want a different setting should stick to WoW (and they will), but people who are sick of fantasy will switch over.
    Last edited by Kaninchen; 2011-11-13 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaninchen View Post
    Because not everyone wants to be a jedi? It's like saying after playing WC3 why would you be anything else than a pally.

Also, alot of people choose their class based on their gameplay.
    Those who are not Star Wars Fans so to speak relate Star Wars and Jedi's as one. Playing something else to those people will just make the game feeling not like star wars. I think thats what hes trying to say
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

I think I'll definitely be playing the Old Republic. After this weekend it might end up being my main mmo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesandri View Post
    stuff
    I don't really like sci-fi, but I love fantasy. I no longer play WoW, but am frothing at the mouth for TOR.

The cool thing about SW is it is very much fantasy. It's fantasy/sci-fi.
    There are no orcs and elves, but plenty of other races are present to replace them.

I can't understand how you talk about genre, then jump to say WoW gave us all something we never had before. There were plenty of fantasy genre games before it. Look at the game they copied, for example.

Deleted
    Hahahahaha

Ok.

Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent, Smuggler, and Troopers will be all over the place killing Jedi and Sith.
    Lol! Missed my point entirely, you want to run around with a lazer gun...wow how "special" that is in sci fi?... to have a reason to choose specific game like star wars n chose not to play as a jedi but as some random class u could find in any other game...that is retarded, sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Also, for some random class to kill a JEDI, that takes away the overpowerdnezzzz Jedis have in that galaxy far far away... kinda a Jedi nerf imo, which gives me even less desire to play a game like this. Making OP Jedi on par with random classes just to be sell a mmo with lots of classes...buffing other classes...well, storywise this is stupid. I love star wars, but no way I'll play this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    What happened with Order 66? Many clones killed many Jedi. How did Jengo Fett kick Jedi ass? How did all the EU material work with countless accounts of non force users kicking ass?
    The other classes are aces of their proffesions. The Jedi/Sith are just starting their rise to power.

I think they are very special. It's an individual fantasy. That's like saying playing anything other than an Orc is stupid, or playing Skyrim and not being a vampire is retarded. It's a blanket statement that has no meaning to anyone but yourself.

No hurt feelings, but just because it's retarded to you doesn't mean anything. I'll play force users as well, but my main will be a Bounty Hunter and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Deleted
    Order 66 was stormtroopers mass zerging lone Jedis. Jango got decapitated by a Jedi. The norm in star wars are jedis cuting down down other 'classes' like wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaninchen View Post
    I think because of this people will play SWTOR. It's different. People who don't want a different setting should stick to WoW (and they will), but people who are sick of fantasy will switch over.
    As much as I agree with you, that people will want to play other classes, I personally have yet to talk to anyone who is not going to be a sith inquisitor. lol
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heroes almost always win in stories. That doesn't make them the undisputed most powerful thing in the galaxy.

Jango got killed because he was a bad guy for the good guy's story arch. Some troopers zerged, some didn't, they still cut down the Jedi like butter.

In most stories, an unlikely hero usually beats the master wizard or a bunch of orcs. Does that mean its stupid to play a wizard or an orc in a game instead of a little boy human hero?

At any rate, we're just arguing to argue at this point, so I'm dropping out of this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    its all gunna count on how people like the game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by balir View Post
    And there are those who want to buy it but can't.
    Patience my friend, if SWTOR is successful I can assure you it will probably be in your area, which I assume is Australia.

---------- Post added 2011-11-13 at 07:43 PM ----------

Order 66 was stormtroopers mass zerging lone Jedis. Jango got decapitated by a Jedi. The norm in star wars are jedis cuting down down other 'classes' like wheat.
    Yes but the troopers that usually die are just foot soliders who probably don't have a lot of training. The character you make whether it be bounty hunter or trooper will be a decked out military badass, a cut above the rest.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2011-11-13 at 07:44 PM.

Deleted

You are terribly wrong.

So i had the same fear like you, but those are not worse (i tend to the story being even somewhat better). I hope for the sake of the game you start playing non-jedi/sith classes because they are no filler classes and diversity is better.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-11-13 at 08:02 PM.

I'm just going to comment on a few points.

-8 classes, not 4. Advanced classes are classes, not specs.

-Limited PvP? Compared to what? Because they are not launching with arena or ladders? Yeah, ok...

-Gimmicky voice quests? Are you kidding me? You may not like them, but gimmicky? Come on. My challenge to those of you that have played early levels in TOR is to now go back and play other MMOs at early levels. Tell me how you feel about them after you've had a chance to see what TOR does.

-"It doesn't take a genius to figure out that only people that love SW and Bioware will love this game". Not even close to the mark. As you said with this, WoW only had Warcraft and Blizzard going for it. If you can tell me the difference, I'll give you a cookie. Hell, I'd even argue that gives them a better shot. SW is MUCH more popular than Warcraft was, and Bioware is just as big as Blizzard was, if not bigger. So again, that's not really a relevant thing to say.

-This is 3000 years before GL's movies. GL has nothing to do with this. It is the EU universe and a time period that Bioware created themselves with KotOR.

-Monthly fees are already known. It's the same as WoW, though you can do longer subs to decrease the monthly price. It's on their web page.

-There is more group content in the first couple zones of TOr than the entire game of WoW (excluding endgame).
    Obviously you and I will disagree about many things in terms of WoW vs SWTOR. What i ask is why does it even have to be WoW vs SWTOR? Why cant two very popular and very great games exist simultaneously? My only point is that the latter of the two games will most likely not be SWTOR. In my opinion there is not enough setting it apart from other established MMOs. I say gimmicky voiced quests because that is exactly what they are, gimmicks to lure people who dont really care about mechanics as an integral part of the MMO experience. I also included the lack of variety in PVP because it is just that, lacking. Many PvE players also enjoy destroying the opposing faction in BGs just to mix things up. From the PvP videos i have watched it just isnt interesting, there is nothing new.

I will admit that i have pre ordered TOR, but am not expecting much from it other than for it to deliver a great story, as per usual with all Bioware games.

Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    I don't know..
    There will be a lot of fans of Swtor because its game based on star wars. So it will be popular.
    But I doubt it will ever become as popular as WoW was, and I doubt that they will ever hit 10million subscribers.

Also they are doing like HUGE mistake. Currently there is almost no endgame content in this game at all.
    What are we supposed to do on max level?

Without something that will keep us interested game will die within few years tops.

There were like A LOT of mmorpgs last years, but none of them was able to get 10 millions of active subscribers, and non of them was able to keep them interested for such a long time.
    But a game doesn't need to hit 10 million to be successful, most MMOs don't even need 500k. Please for the love of god get out of the WoW mentality, just because WoW has 10 million doesn't mean it's the only successful MMO on the market. Also SWTOR has two raids confirmed, one is going to be in the game at launch and the second one is being worked on right now as I type this message so it might be in for launch too or sometime soon after. Also you have a lot of hard mode flashpoints, what WoW calls heroic dungeons. Then on top of that they have the endgame planet of Illum which is for pvp and some pve. Also there will be content patches much like WoW that will add even more to the game than what's already there.