Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can I run this game when it launches.

Ok first off I am not good with computers at all. What I mean by this is I don't understand specs needed and all the foreign talk of it. I know a lot of other things about them but those kinds of things I am clueless. I have been waiting for this game for over 4 years absolutely loved the first one. I am even willing to go out of my way to build a new PC just for this game. Heres my specs

My System Specifications

Operating System:
    Windows 2.6.1.7600
    CPU Type:
    Intel® Core™ i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz
    CPU Speed:
    1.75 GHz
    System Memory:
    5.93 GB
    Video Card Model:
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
    Video Card Driver:
    atiumdag.dll
    Desktop Resolution:
    1600x900
    Hard Disk Size:
    576.64 GB
    Hard Disk Free Space:
    428.54 GB (74%)

I use the Asus Republic of Gamers laptop which was built for games but it is kind of old and am concerned it won't run it. It managed to run RIFT on the highest settings though which is why I think it might be able to run this.
    I don't know if thats all the information you need since I don't know how to get anymore but if I can't run it would love to get some build ideas.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont think the recommended minimum for GW2 has even been released yet lol

Deleted
    the game isnt out yet but im sure you'll run it well. The pc seems good.

That's good news. I was concerned because I do lose frame rate in 25 mans but I guess everyone does in 25 mans unless they have super computers.

Yes, without a doubt. Look at this:

System Requirements - Recently we found out a tidbit of info regarding system requirements, ANet has been testing the game on video cards so old that they need to get it on special order because it's no longer manufactured. Looking at Newegg that means those GPUs are from around 2002/2003. I've also seen them say that they really don't even develop their games on high end hardware so that they don't forget about the lower end of the hardware spectrum. The GW2 engine is a modified version of the GW1 engine and it would be simply shocking if it's playable on 8 year old hardware by the time it releases.

That should put any fears to rest. ANet also uses a middleware called Umbra which only renders what the camera can see so it keeps performance VERY high. GW2 isn't very technically demanding and the reason it looks so good is because they have one of the best art teams in the industry along with 2 of THE BEST concept artists in the entire world as voted by many profession panels year in and year out.

10+ Year Old Account
    You certainly will I think

By "aimed at mid-range PC's" it usually means for high / ultra settings, not low / medium. So yes, you will be able to run the game, but there is no way to tell what settings you can run it at.

How about
    2.59 GHz

Could it pull out medium at least or anything reasonably playable?
    Last edited by Lefuu; 2012-01-08 at 06:02 PM.

I would assume that the requirements to run the game would be a 256mb GPU, a dual-core 1.8GHz processor, 2GB of ram, and a huge chuck of space on your hard drive.

Deleted
    I'm sure it will run.
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2012-01-08 at 06:52 PM. Reason: checked the cpu, doesn't seem as bad as I thought.

It's been said many times on the GW2 forums that if you can run GW1, then you should have no problems running GW2. ArenaNet wanted to make GW2 accessibly to as many people as they could. It's also been rumored that the PC they use for the demos, the graphics card is outdated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    Yes, without a doubt. Look at this:

System Requirements - Recently we found out a tidbit of info regarding system requirements, ANet has been testing the game on video cards so old that they need to get it on special order because it's no longer manufactured. Looking at Newegg that means those GPUs are from around 2002/2003. I've also seen them say that they really don't even develop their games on high end hardware so that they don't forget about the lower end of the hardware spectrum. The GW2 engine is a modified version of the GW1 engine and it would be simply shocking if it's playable on 8 year old hardware by the time it releases.

That should put any fears to rest. ANet also uses a middleware called Umbra which only renders what the camera can see so it keeps performance VERY high. GW2 isn't very technically demanding and the reason it looks so good is because they have one of the best art teams in the industry along with 2 of THE BEST concept artists in the entire world as voted by many profession panels year in and year out.
    If that is true, that's pretty cool!

I remember I ran GW1 really smooth on my old computer (and by old I mean *fuckin' jurassic park). The game looked amazing (it still does) and it ran really well compared to other games at that time.

To the OP, that computer should run GW2 at least medium-high settings, no problem...unless something goes incredibly wrong with the optimization, which I doubt, based on what I said before.
    Last edited by mmocf7632e0726; 2012-01-08 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SarSil View Post
    If that is true, that's pretty cool!

I remember I ran GW1 really smooth on my old computer (and by old I mean *fuckin' jurassic park). The game looked amazing (it still does) and it ran really well compared to other games at that time.

To the OP, that computer should run GW2 at least medium-high settings, no problem...unless something goes incredibly wrong with the optimization, which I doubt, based on what I said before.
    That is great to hear. I remember running Guild Wars on my parents dell 2000 computer. Was a piece of shit comp but it ran the game so smooth.

Deleted
    I've never heard of Umbra before. 0_o

after googling it I found:
    Umbra is a highly robust, GPU based, visibility optimization solution that allows game developers to create highly dynamic game worlds without preprocessing. With Umbra game developers can increase their polygon budgets significantly and create highly complex game worlds which were previously impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    I've never heard of Umbra before. 0_o

after googling it I found:
    Simply put, with Umbra, you don't need to render what you can't see.

Last edited by Mif; 2012-01-08 at 08:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Very interesting. That pretty much explains everything about GW2's system requirements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laylie View Post
    Ok first off I am not good with computers at all. What I mean by this is I don't understand specs needed and all the foreign talk of it. I know a lot of other things about them but those kinds of things I am clueless. I have been waiting for this game for over 4 years absolutely loved the first one. I am even willing to go out of my way to build a new PC just for this game. Heres my specs

My System Specifications

Operating System:
    Windows 2.6.1.7600
    CPU Type:
    Intel® Core™ i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz
    CPU Speed:
    1.75 GHz
    System Memory:
    5.93 GB
    Video Card Model:
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
    Video Card Driver:
    atiumdag.dll
    Desktop Resolution:
    1600x900
    Hard Disk Size:
    576.64 GB
    Hard Disk Free Space:
    428.54 GB (74%)

I use the Asus Republic of Gamers laptop which was built for games but it is kind of old and am concerned it won't run it. It managed to run RIFT on the highest settings though which is why I think it might be able to run this.
    I don't know if thats all the information you need since I don't know how to get anymore but if I can't run it would love to get some build ideas.
    Your CPU seems a tad slow but other than that it looks like it should be able to run it from sheer speculation.

---------- Post added 2012-01-08 at 08:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post

Wouldn't something like that be brutal on your HDD though?

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Your CPU seems a tad slow but other than that it looks like it should be able to run it from sheer speculation.

Its slow because it is a laptop. I don't think ive found a prebuilt one that can run faster than it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post

Nah, it would be in ram.

Basically the devs have said if you were able to play GW1 on medium to high settings you will be able to run GW2 on low and GW1 doesn't require that good of a computer to run on max settings so I wouldn't worry about it with your specs tbh. It's really important to them that computer specs aren't restricting people too much from playing.