Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Leading raids as a DPS?

Hello guys out there,

I am a raid leader of a 10 man guild and recently I swapped my main to elemental shaman. Been tanking for years and I just felt I need a change. I really enjoy dps role atm, however, I cannot focus on raid leading like I could when I was tanking. So far I did 2 raids as dps, do you think it is just matter of time until I get used to play the class and role and then I would be able to lead raid like before?

Are there any ppl who lead raids as a dps? In every guild I've been over years, raid leader was a tank..

Post your opinions

Thanks a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a matter of comfort and automatism. I can raid lead fine on my bear or my subtlety rogue, while I find that healing and leading is nearly impossible. The rogue is harder to lead on, certainly, but that's more a matter of comparison in things you need to pay attention to for the next action.

Get some more dummy practice in until it's muscled in and you'll be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I raid lead as elemental, and i've got to admit, it takes a lot of practise and compromise, my DPS definitely takes a hit if i'm not 100% focused.

If you work at it though, you'll get the hang of it.
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

I am doing a lot of dummy and raid finder practise Well I just lvled elemental shaman, never played it before, so I guess it will get better once I get used to it..

Deleted
    It's going to come down to your personality and overall WoW ability. If you don't think it's working try switching class or role, as long as it fits your raid make-up. However, you will have to keep an open mind. Put your raid first and if you feel you are holding it back, pass the mantle over to someone else. It's all about management. This will no doubt improve over time. All I can suggest is that you keep at it for now.

All the best.

Oldschool raid leaders were usually DPS because they have more of a view of the field than a tank on the other side of the boss. Once you can do your rotation without thinking about it you will be fine to go back to leading.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalv View Post
    pass the mantle over to someone else. It's all about management.
    This in particular, although i raid lead in general, i quite often have our blood tank pay more attention to timers and calling things out, if i feel i need to focus a bit more on DPS (or if there's meters to whore)
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    Oldschool raid leaders were usually DPS because they have more of a view of the field than a tank on the other side of the boss.
    So oldschool tanks played from a first person PoV?

Quote Originally Posted by Dranged View Post
    Old school tanks could typically see their character's arse and little else as most fights had you backed up against a wall for all the cheesy knockbacks...

Deleted
    A good leader will be able to lead regardless of role. I believe the reason that most good leaders are tanks (or sometimes healers) is because it's a more supporting and group nurturing role than DPS, which is a bit of an individualist role. I believe it's easier to look across the board and analyze the team and the playing field when you're in a supporting role than a competetive role.

Do note that I'm not saying that DPS players are exclusively individualists*

Tanks also usually have signifigantly less things to do (depending on boss of course) than the other two roles, which makes it easier to talk and command your group.

But as I said, a good leader can lead well in any role.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dranged View Post
    without a good camera zoom, and given the size of bosses, it was sometimes harder

not to accept the blanketing statement as fact, but i can see some of the logic

With a good headset that you can set your VoiP to "Voice Activated" (and some settings adjustments), I think DPS can be just as effective. The key is to be the most informed person in the raid. Some people DPS and pull that off. Some need to be Tanks or Healers for that.

Speaking from experience, yes its viable. I raid lead on my hunter and have done for a long time, My personal output may take a minor hit when doing new content but if you are comfortable with the fights and your character it comes as second nature. Good luck!

Deleted
    My husband leaded as tank, ive done it as tank and healer (heal lead is harder tho) , we both used help of our mage tho, who was designed to call for specific events (mob spawned/near death , Alys going down for dive etc). You dont have to be alfa and omega, assign deputy and it will make things easier Point is to assign one person to co-lead to avoid noise and chaos.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    All about practice. I guess you were more used to tanking, and you did stuff without thinking, as soon as that comes as elemental, you will get the same feeling.
    "If you are going to do something, including being an alcoholic, don't half-ass it. /Cheers." - Vezrah, 2012

Deleted
    morning grim.

keep playing the elemental sham, the more you play the better and faster muscle memory sinks in

Deleted
    It's about practice.
    My raid leader used to be a hunter, playing a role similar to your own. As a ranged DPS, you have a broader view of the fight, call for incoming adds, aoe, etc., something that is a bit hard to do when you are up close and tanking, as your view is half blocked by the boss.
    I never had a raid leader playing healer. That probably is the hardest thing to do.

Deleted
    I would say that elemental is actually a great for raid leading. The overview of a ranged dps is just generally better and you basicly do the same thing every time you do the encounter. As long as you can do your dps "rotation" blindly you got plenty time to see everyones position/health etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tuscar View Post
    morning grim.

keep playing the elemental sham, the more you play the better and faster muscle memory sinks in
    Lawl that's hillarious :-D
    (Tuscar is the new tank I recruited to take over my spot :-D )
    Last edited by Grimbold of Skullcrusher; 2012-04-26 at 10:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My opinion on the matter is that tanks are best suited for it. Why? They only really have to make sure they're being punched in the face while looking out for some mechanics.

Healers has to look at Grid / Unit frames, their Mana, all them cooldowns and stuff, as well as boss mechanics.

DPS has to look at recount (joking, man!), debuffs / buff uptime and various cooldowns / procs, as well as boss mechanics.

's about it.
    Hi