Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

A negative side-effect of the BMAH I ran into recently.

Now, this is just something that happened to me. I didn't think much of it, but I must admit, thinking back on it it does... gnaw at me just a little bit. Take from it what you will.

Was running around, doing my dailies. My axe I've transmogged into Arcanite Ripper, and my sword I've transmogged into Corrupted Ashbringer. Together they're a beautiful combo of unholy awesomeness.

So I get this whisper from a random passerby. "lol nice axe, you spend that much gold on black market?"

ಠ_ಠ

Okay, now look. I dont mind if people can buy all the Tier3 and awesome vanity stuff on the Black market. If you can make that much gold, kudos to you. I wouldnt be able to do that, I'm terrible at playing the AH. If you can make that much gold, AND win the resulting bidding war, I will applaud you.

But this guy just assumed I.. bought this. No, I did the WOTLK prerelease Karazhan boss. I'm an old character.

Again, I'm fine with the BM AH. I hope to someday buy Onyxian Drake if I somehow get my hands on enough gold, myself. But this assumption, this first thought that occured... it bothers me.

Just a pinch.
    Last edited by Chonar; 2012-10-11 at 09:59 AM.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Just show him your Vampire Batling (or link the achievement). It was also a drop from Tenris Murkblood...
    But on the other side... you cares about the talk of an unknown player? Just ignore him and that's it.

This was exactly the main problem people had with the BMAH. Being able to buy stuff, for gold, that are not in game anymore. No way to prove if you're an old-school character or not, now that items that have been removed from the game are again available.

At least they can't sell titles. That means, Scarab Lord, Champion of the Naaru, Hand of A'dal and all the XXX Gladiator titles are still exclusive. I'll be MAJORLY pissed if an Amani War Bear (you know, the original one) showed up at the BMAH though. They already pleased the masses by releasing the pink/purple version of it, leave the original one for us...originals.

And in before "omg special snowflake what do you care what others have", sorry, everyone is trying to be a special snowflake even in real life. Whether it be Uni degrees, being the captain of the football team, the president of the chess club, a member of the student government, EVERYONE is trying to be a special snowflake. Don't bash people who try to do it in WoW too, especially when effort, blood, sweat and tears have been shed in order to obtain and complete these achievements.

Deleted
    So it hurts your pride? How sad for you.

Deleted
    Hm... kinda weird saying your character is old, by claiming you have an Arcanite Ripper, from the pre-WotLK event, when you have a Corrupted Ashbringer, which is an older, and more exclusive item, from Naxx40 (level 60).

Quote Originally Posted by Keashaa View Post
    Just show him your Vampire Batling (or link the achievement). It was also a drop from Tenris Murkblood...
    But on the other side... you cares about the talk of an unknown player? Just ignore him and that's it.
    It's not about that. It's about the mentality that will spawn out of this. "Omg you have old-school stuff omg chinese farmer omg you have WAY too much gold available...etc" and the list goes on. Instead of "respecting", in a way, someone who's been here AAAAGES before you, you end up insulting them. Tell me - you show up at school basketball team practice, wanting to take part in the tryouts for the team. Team Captain and team Vice Captain are sitting opposite you, interviewing you. They were grunts once too. They went to the tryouts like you are doing now, years ago. They're still here. And with their skill and determination they got promoted to the ranks they have now. Don't you respect them?

By the same token, the same applies in WoW. Seniority gains respect, in most societies, in most parts of the world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    It's not about that. It's about the mentality that will spawn out of this. "Omg you have old-school stuff omg chinese farmer omg you have WAY too much gold available...etc" and the list goes on. Instead of "respecting", in a way, someone who's been here AAAAGES before you, you end up insulting them. Tell me - you show up at school basketball team practice, wanting to take part in the tryouts for the team. Team Captain and team Vice Captain are sitting opposite you, interviewing you. They were grunts once too. They went to the tryouts like you are doing now, years ago. They're still here. And with their skill and determination they got promoted to the ranks they have now. Don't you respect them?

By the same token, the same applies in WoW. Seniority gains respect, in most societies, in most parts of the world.
    I'm more appalled by the mentality of feeling superior because you've been playing a game longer than others.

Vanity talks.

Agree. Just ignore him.

I think he is jealous of you.

Any society must do two things to survive.

1. Respect it's elders.
    2. Teach their young.

The OP is lamenting the loss of #1 due to elders not being distinguishable.

Deleted
    Do you realy care that much what some stranger 10.000 kilometers away from you thinks about how you gotten your weapon?

Think the issue is not with the BMAH.

Edit: You know how you've gotten it, and hes just jealous/bad
    Last edited by mmoc0c9d2d4515; 2012-10-11 at 10:21 AM.

Your problem is that you care about what random anonymous people think of you.
    In your case, I don't know you, and I won't ever show you respect for something you did in a video game. No matter how much you may feel you deserve it.

As for me, I have played just as long as you have, and I never gave a damn about what other people thought of me. The only opinions I care about are from people who actually know me.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

15+ Year Old Account
    it has 2 sides IMO, the good thing is that it gives people who for wahtever reason couldnt finish their T3 sets, or never got that weapon drop or whatever.

but it also gives players who were never there, or possibly didn't even play to buy the stuff . . .

2 sided coin type thing . . .

perhaps it should look at what 'chieves you have and only reward items on the BMAH from stuff you've raided somewhere on your account =p

saves people getting butt hurt =p

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I'm more appalled by the mentality of feeling superior because you've been playing a game longer than others.
    It's not about feeling superior. It's about having experience that others dont. In most parts of the world, people with experience and/or knowledge that others don't have are treated with respect.

You think a brand new WoW player has been through the process of raiding in a close-knit group for 2 years straight? Obviously not. The "veteran" has been through things that the newcomer hasnt even dreamed of. Guilds disbanding, guilds reforming, joys and sadnesses attached to the game, meeting new people, losing old friends, being stabbed in the back, betrayed etc. and the list goes on. Again, look at my basketball example. One is a game the other is a game, one has a social aspect the other has a social aspect. Why should the same rules NOT apply?

Deleted
    So it hurts your pride? How sad are you.
    fixed for humanity's sake

10+ Year Old Account
    That's just silly. Of course people who have invested a lot in their character are attached to that special snowflake feeling that comes along with some items. That is the whole point of playing an RPG. You might have forgotten but WoW is still an MMORPG. See those last three letters? If you want to be the same as everyone else why don't play you some FPS game, instead of ridiculing people who actually play RPGs for the character development that is inherently part of that? Actually let's go further cause why make all the races look different and give options to change the looks of your character? Why at transmogrification if you are so big on looking the same as everyone else.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2012-10-11 at 10:25 AM.

Again, look at my basketball example. One is a game the other is a game, one has a social aspect the other has a social aspect. Why should the same rules NOT apply?
    Again, I don't respect (in the way you imply) those basketball players. I think you are confusing respect with courtesy.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be too worried about that, BMAH is cool.

Also, kinda off-topic, can you resell mounts you buy there on the regular AH? seems there are a few mounts on my servers AH that are BoP, unless i'm mistaken

Deleted
    I am mostly surprised current players even recognise that stuff as something special. I had the ripper, but had to google to remember the looks of it. Guess I've been away for a while; shrug.

Generally the concept of "being judged for pixels" is outlandish to put it mildly, and I think people "posing" on letterboxes don't create the impression they think they do.

At least they can't sell titles. That means, Scarab Lord, Champion of the Naaru, Hand of A'dal and all the XXX Gladiator titles are still exclusive. I'll be MAJORLY pissed if an Amani War Bear (you know, the original one) showed up at the BMAH though. They already pleased the masses by releasing the pink/purple version of it, leave the original one for us...originals.
    Who is to say Blizz wont start doing that too. They sell BiS stuff, rare drops, old stuff, why not titles. One does wonder though if they are behind gold sellers as many people have said, they, gold sellers, must be doing great business atm as people with irl money can get gear they want just by spending some real money