Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Could I get Medium WoW Settings On This?

I'm looking into buying a new computer and getting back into WoW. I haven't played for a good while and even when I did I only ever really got to about lowish settings due to my Macbook not really having been built for gaming, so as long as I can go to Medium settings the game will look absolutely amazing to me since I'm so used to the crummy fps on low settings.

I'm not really an fps nut, but I do require my Particle Density to be on ultra because I'm one of those baddies that needs to see everything in order to know to get out of the fire

Anyway, I'm looking into a couple of different machines. This one: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/hom...00t-Desktop-PC seems fairly decent but I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on a machine that will probably be outdated so soon because I know it has a lower-end graphics card in it.

But for the time being would it at least get me through Mists on at least medium settings? thanks for any info and help

build your own from quality brand name parts. Save hundreds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadocaster View Post
    build your own from quality brand name parts. Save hundreds.
    I don't know how and don't have time to learn...I know that's ALWAYS the answer to this question, but I really just want to know about the system I posted, no offense.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    I don't know how and don't have time to learn...I know that's ALWAYS the answer to this question, but I really just want to know about the system I posted, no offense.
    Not too sure how your reply was offensive in anyway. I see you are in Chile. Is there a couple computer sites around where you live that you could link me? I could price out a build for you then link it, 9/10 times an online retailer will offer to build it for you.

Not too sure how your reply was offensive in anyway. I see you are in Chile. Is there a couple computer sites around where you live that you could link me? I could price out a build for you then link it, 9/10 times an online retailer will offer to build it for you.
    This ^^

Otherwise price comparison: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pfA2

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I'm moving back to the US in March which is when I'd be making the purchase. I really just want to know about the one that I already linked.

Based off the one you linked:

Windows 8 - Take it or leave it no benefits over 7 (my opinion)
    CPU i5-3570 (its not the k version so overclocking is 'kind' of out )
    RAM 8 Gig - fine, might be generic brand
    HDD - Everything is 2+ TB, which is overkill for just a few games
    Graphics
    2GB AMD Radeon HD 7770 [DVI, HDMI, DP & VGA via adapter]
    1.5GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 [Dual Bracket; 2x DVI, HDMI, DP, VGA via adapter]
    3GB AMD Radeon HD 7950 [Dual Bracket; DVI, HDMI, 2x mini-DP]

Rest is fine, overall if you get this yes you can play on med if not high settings. Don't count on high setting in 25 man raids though.
    Price: Too high compared to self built or cyberpower/ibuypower

it looks like a decent pc , and depending on your graphics card you pick, it could very well carry you on for a couple years

i have never been an ati fan so i would always go with nvidia and i would get the newest series out wither it be the 640 660 or 680

if i were you and i could afford it the 660 would probally be your best bet unless you want better performance then i would get the 680 but its gonna cost

either one you pick i think the 660 will exceed your expectations as far as medium settings go

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sthos View Post
    Based off the one you linked:

Windows 8 - Take it or leave it no benefits over 7 (my opinion)
    CPU i5-3570 (its not the k version so overclocking is 'kind' of out )
    RAM 8 Gig - fine, might be generic brand
    HDD - Everything is 2+ TB, which is overkill for just a few games
    Graphics
    2GB AMD Radeon HD 7770 [DVI, HDMI, DP & VGA via adapter]
    1.5GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 [Dual Bracket; 2x DVI, HDMI, DP, VGA via adapter]
    3GB AMD Radeon HD 7950 [Dual Bracket; DVI, HDMI, 2x mini-DP]

Rest is fine, overall if you get this yes you can play on med if not high settings. Don't count on high setting in 25 man raids though.
    Price: Too high compared to self built or cyberpower/ibuypower
    Thanks. I was looking into Cyberpower/iBuypower but found nothing but horrible reviews about how people's computers arrived damaged or they had to replace parts that were defective or the fans didn't get installed right and the system got fried or something, so I was trying to steer clear of them.

This ^^

Otherwise price comparison: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pfA2
    QFT. I would personally go with an ASUS motherboard instead of AsROCK, or even gigabyte. Also you forgot a PSU :P.

Well I'm moving back to the US in March which is when I'd be making the purchase. I really just want to know about the one that I already linked.
    Sorry, but I do not recommend HP computers on both principle and experience. Too many of them I have opened up to see RAM that is not brand-name stamped, motherboards with no stamp, that are still using chemical capacitors etc. etc. If you REALLY want to go shelf-bought instead of picking parts and having a retailer build it for you, Acer and Dell are a little better(but not really, the extremely large pre-packaged computer retailers all pretty much have the same practices.)

Qualifications: Hobbyist and IT Professional.

Thanks. I was looking into Cyberpower/iBuypower but found nothing but horrible reviews about how people's computers arrived damaged or they had to replace parts that were defective or the fans didn't get installed right and the system got fried or something, so I was trying to steer clear of them.
    Those reviews are only a small percentage, in past years I have ordered maybe 5 or 6 PC's from them and they are great no problems at all.
    Same goes for friends and family that have ordered from there.

The computer listed in my sig is my first home built I have done. Been building for others and work for awhile and decided to finally do mine.

another downside to buying a prebuilt is it's going to come with a fistful of bloatware.

Anti-virus trials constantly asking you to buy a subscription, AOL shortcut on desktop, that sorta thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those reviews are only a small percentage, in past years I have ordered maybe 5 or 6 PC's from them and they are great no problems at all.
    Same goes for friends and family that have ordered from there.
    Well I guess a wounded bear is the loudest one, so it might be worth looking into them again, especially now that I remembered the bloatware issue. They don't put a bunch of stuff like that on there, do they?

Well I guess a wounded bear is the loudest one, so it might be worth looking into them again, especially now that I remembered the bloatware issue. They don't put a bunch of stuff like that on there, do they?
    They won't even load on the OS if you don't want them to. You can give them special instruction in your order to load OS, drivers, and nothing else. Coming from someone who used to build like 6 systems a day, they will be MORE than happy to oblige NOT putting extra shit on there.

They won't even load on the OS if you don't want them to. You can give them special instruction in your order to load OS, drivers, and nothing else. Coming from someone who used to build like 6 systems a day, they will be MORE than happy to oblige NOT putting extra shit on there.
    This is correct, the last PC (1year ago) when I saw it only had Windows 7, Microsoft Office Download Package, and drivers loaded on it. So you wont have to worry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it looks like I'm going to go with them then because I just went on there and built myself a system with a Radeon 7770 and an Intel i5 that came with a monitor and everything for only a grand. Thanks for the tips!

Speccs where you have choice, not looking at prices:
    RAM: 8GiB
    HDD: Do whatever, but I strongly suggest getting the SSD choices or RAID0 or RAID5.
    GPU: HD7950 > GTX 660

Will work amazing for gaming, but won't be as good value as a home-built computer, nor will you have as much expandability.
    The warranty and support should be great.
    My strong recommendation is to sweep the hard drive and make a clean win8 installation if possible. If not, sweep out the HP-branded and other 3rd party pre-installed software.

Still hear mostly bad stuff about Cyberpower/ibuypower.

Deleted
    While you guys are here, maybe you can enlighten me on how good the PC I'm going to be brought soon is (WoW wise).

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) (As for overclocking, I've been given to understand that the mobo I chose has built-in overclock capabilities, so no need for BIOS overclocking? As I have no idea how to do that.)

GPU: 2GB HD Radeon 7850

Storage: Samsung 830 series 128GB SSD and Western Caviar Blue 500GB HDD

RAM: 8GB @ 1600 MHz

My aim for it was to be to get at high settings in 25 man raids without having to go to too high prices.
    Last edited by mmoc2fdc1312bd; 2012-11-24 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azlarn View Post
    While you guys are here, maybe you can enlighten me on how good the PC I'm going to be brought soon is (WoW wise).

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) (As for overclocking, I've been given to understand that the mobo I chose has built-in overclock capabilities, so no need for BIOS overclocking? As I have no idea how to do that.)

GPU: 2GB HD Radeon 7850

Storage: Samsung 840 series 128GB SSD and Western Caviar Blue 500GB HDD

RAM: 8GB @ 1600 MHz

My aim for it was to be to get at high settings in 25 man raids without having to go to too high prices.
    Get an aftermarket cooler, like a noctua or something. OCZ SSDs are faster, but pricier. Up to you(the vertex 4 series specifically).

The overclocking on the board is still done in the BIOS, but there is this 'beginners mode' screen that allows you to click on different clocking configurations. you can still go into advanced mode and set your own voltages etc.

Last edited by Shadocaster; 2012-11-24 at 08:36 PM. Reason: found a screenshot of e-z bios

You can get bundled packages from newegg and sites like those and like it has been mentioned many will put it together for you. The biggest risk you run into is getting parts that aren't 100% compatible with each other, but again many sites will help protect you from doing that. I can say the biggest error I see ppl making is getting a video card that is lacking the dedicated video RAM this is the most common choke point I see and is easy to avoid.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."