Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    None of our shots or attacks look different with other ranged weapons though. Mutilate, as has been pointed out, has a very different animation that currently only exists with daggers.

I'm all for removing these silly restrictions for every class. But two big 1-handed swords and Mutilate really don't mix.

EDIT:
    Just read the other posts. Mutilate and Storm Strike don't share the same animation. I'm unsure on Raging Blow but that was different as well IIRC.
    Mutilate had the exact same animation as Stormstrike for years. It was only late into Cata (4.3?) that they gave it its own animation. Rage blow has always had the mutilate animation and still does to this very day. Not to mention, if you open Model viewer for a change, any animation can be done with any weapon. I can do the ret paladins Templar's Verdict animation with two daggers in my hands on a worgen that mind you cannot roll a paladin.

Not to mention they give all race combinations all combat animations. For example; next time you're playing a monk, use your mirror or potion of illusion near a goblin or worgen, two races that can't be monks. Now giggle to yourself while they take every monk stance and perform every kick and punch. Let's stop pretending that a game with such outdated visuals is held back by some sort of unseen restriction.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

you can only transmog stuff that has the same attack animation yes?

What weapon other than a dagger has the same attack animation as a dagger? None I can think of.
    What weapon other than a fist weapon has the same attack animation as a fist weapon? None I can think of.

Polearms and staves use the same animation.

one handed swords, one handed axes, one handed maces use the same animation

two handed swords, two handed axes, two handed maces use the same animation.

Yes it is technically true that gun/bow/crossbow do not share the same firing animation and are interchangeable, I think transmogging a dagger to look like a one handed axe is a bit too far.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Mutilate had the exact same animation as Stormstrike for years. It was only late into Cata (4.3?) that they gave it its own animation. Rage blow has always had the mutilate animation and still does to this very day. Not to mention, if you open Model viewer for a change, any animation can be done with any weapon. I can do the ret paladins Templar's Verdict animation with two daggers in my hands on a worgen that mind you cannot roll a paladin.
    I wasn't aware the Stormstrike animation was new, I apologize. My mistake on that part as I never even looked at a Shaman's animations until Cataclysm. I honestly wasn't aware the current animation was a new change. I am standing by my point that Mutilate with two large swords looks silly. I know it's possible, but it's silly.

I wasn't aware the Stormstrike animation was new, I apologize. My mistake on that part as I never even looked at a Shaman's animations until Cataclysm. I honestly wasn't aware the current animation was a new change. I am standing by my point that Mutilate with two large swords looks silly. I know it's possible, but it's silly.
    I think, the warrior ability Raging Blow uses a similar attack animation to Mutilate.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh we're on the same page there. The moment I got on my warrior to see this new ability, I just gave one of those "...really?" faces. Why would anyone do a double-stab motion with 2 greataxes? It was a pretty lazy move. =(

Quote Originally Posted by Susej View Post
    "We dont have the tech" is always hilarious to hear isn't it.
    It's more a philosophical thing. They could let you mog anything to anything if they really wanted. They just think it would look wrong to backstab someone with Thunderfury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    I think, the warrior ability Raging Blow uses a similar attack animation to Mutilate.
    Warriors and Mages are two classes I just never even thought about touching. While I like Warriors, the whole priority based rotation they have based on procs and enrage mechanics just makes me want to punch a kitten. But when I tried playing a Warrior I thought the animation was like Stormstrike. However my point is that you and Ryngo may very well be correct on the raging blow part since I don't have much experience with it.

I don't see why they can't simply make Mutilate do the Stormstrike animation when you have non-daggers transmogrified. The animation would work for any non-dagger or fist weapon.

They probably want to keep dagger animations as they are. Rogues would look silly if they were trying to mutilate with maces or doing all different swing animations. It might be a matter of coding it, but they also might just want to keep rogues looking like they're shanking people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguintamer View Post
    They probably want to keep dagger animations as they are. Rogues would look silly if they were trying to mutilate with maces or doing all different swing animations. It might be a matter of coding it, but they also might just want to keep rogues looking like they're shanking people.
    Actually Bovan has an interesting solution to that; give non-dagger transmogs the Stormstrike animation instead. Now, them putting that much effort into it is a different story...

It is just laziness, nothing more.

Actually Bovan has an interesting solution to that; give non-dagger transmogs the Stormstrike animation instead. Now, them putting that much effort into it is a different story...
    Has nothing to do with effort, but Priority. Im quite sick of reading this line over and over when it's simply false .

Thing is, nobody of us knows the coding behind Character Animations and Data in WoW, so people should stop stating "facts".
    Many things are Relics of 10 Years of Game Development, with changing Teams, Designers and Programmers.
    When they say, they dont have the Tech at the moment, they don't have it. They said they want to implement Transmogging, and they did. They said they want to open up some Rules over time, and they did.

Will there be more? Eventually.
    Im all for new Animations, updated Models etc. by the way. But im not a lil princess about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nouk View Post
    Has nothing to do with effort, but Priority. Im quite sick of reading this line over and over when it's simply false .

Thing is, nobody of us knows the coding behind Character Animations and Data in WoW, so people should stop stating "facts".
    Many things are Relics of 10 Years of Game Development, with changing Teams, Designers and Programmers.
    When they say, they dont have the Tech at the moment, they don't have it. They said they want to implement Transmogging, and they did. They said they want to open up some Rules over time, and they did.

Will there be more? Eventually.
    Im all for new Animations, updated Models etc. by the way. But im not a lil princess about it.
    See, what you're doing here is called being a hypocrite. You point out our points of view and tell us how you're sick of reading it. How we have nothing to back it up, but you're doing the exact same thing. Not only that, but you're completely breaking the topic of the thread to tell us that you feel differently from a single point of view without actually contributing.

It's nice that you feel a certain way, but unless you feel like getting involved in the discussion, maybe its better to keep those things to yourself. Wouldn't want to be a "lil princess" about our feelings now, would we?

Point is, even if these things are "relics of 10 years of game development", it's the current market it's competing in. If there are no room to add such concerns to the list of relevant priorities, the room needs to be made. More minds need to be dedicated to it and more manpower set aside to make it a possibility. No one was saying it's easy, but to sit here and complicate the matter like we're asking them to reinvent the wheel is a little absurd. Some of these things have literally been asked for going on 8 years now. Don't you think it's about time they're approached?

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    you can only transmog stuff that has the same attack animation yes?

What weapon other than a dagger has the same attack animation as a dagger? None I can think of.
    What weapon other than a fist weapon has the same attack animation as a fist weapon? None I can think of.

Polearms and staves use the same animation.

one handed swords, one handed axes, one handed maces use the same animation

two handed swords, two handed axes, two handed maces use the same animation.

Yes it is technically true that gun/bow/crossbow do not share the same firing animation and are interchangeable, I think transmogging a dagger to look like a one handed axe is a bit too far.
    Nailed it exactly. The new additions to mog rules are animations-based, and neither Daggers nor Fist Weapons share animations with anything else (well, Fist Weapons share animations with Unarmed attacks, but those don't count for obvious reasons). Guns/Bows/Crossbows are only exempt from the animations rule bcause, unlike other weapons like those for melee classes, they are the only combat-usable items for the Hunter class, and thus their aesthetics are rather limited if they are not permitted to mog between types.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

I would think it has more to do with how they implemented Transmog. The system probably checks against the original weapon for everything such as animation, swing speed, ability to use skills, and just calls a different model/texture when it comes to rendering it. Thus you can change between everything that uses the same animations, but you transmog a mace onto a dagger it would run using the dagger animations.

If the assumption is true, to fix it they would have to go back through the engine and find all calls to weapon and upgrade them for transmogging.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    Nailed it exactly. The new additions to mog rules are animations-based, and neither Daggers nor Fist Weapons share animations with anything else (well, Fist Weapons share animations with Unarmed attacks, but those don't count for obvious reasons). Guns/Bows/Crossbows are only exempt from the animations rule bcause, unlike other weapons like those for melee classes, they are the only combat-usable items for the Hunter class, and thus their aesthetics are rather limited if they are not permitted to mog between types.
    Please list the number of other classes that use agility daggers.

So let's not talk about limited aesthetics.

Edit: Keeping in mind two of those specs can only use agility daggers.
    Last edited by Viradiance; 2013-01-04 at 12:36 PM.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Deleted
    I do’t buy this whole ‘ has to have the same animation’ shit tbh as an excuse to not include fist weapons in the transmog options.
    I can understand daggers being excluded because of the backstab and mutilate animations, but why on earth don’t they just allow you to transmog into a weapon you can use yourself? In that way they cannot say they can’t allow fistst being transmogged into swords ‘because a shaman doesn’t have a sword animation’.

And why does the animation have to be the same? If you transmog into a sword, then why just not take over the animation of that sword? Problem solved, and nobody has to use a fist because shamans cannot use a sword. (because let’s be honest, that is probably the reason why we are stuck with fist weapons only this tier)

10+ Year Old Account
    That sucks all I want to do is use my naxx swords that goes on your back all the time. As for fist weps, they obviously arn't going to fix the fact that you can't see the out of combat they should just remove them. They are all ugly anyway.
    Aye mate

See, what you're doing here is called being a hypocrite. You point out our points of view and tell us how you're sick of reading it. How we have nothing to back it up, but you're doing the exact same thing. Not only that, but you're completely breaking the topic of the thread to tell us that you feel differently from a single point of view without actually contributing.

It's nice that you feel a certain way, but unless you feel like getting involved in the discussion, maybe its better to keep those things to yourself. Wouldn't want to be a "lil princess" about our feelings now, would we?

Point is, even if these things are "relics of 10 years of game development", it's the current market it's competing in. If there are no room to add such concerns to the list of relevant priorities, the room needs to be made. More minds need to be dedicated to it and more manpower set aside to make it a possibility. No one was saying it's easy, but to sit here and complicate the matter like we're asking them to reinvent the wheel is a little absurd. Some of these things have literally been asked for going on 8 years now. Don't you think it's about time they're approached?
    Doesn't matter what you want to call me. What i stated is the process of Game Development, if you like it or not. And no, recruiting a Programmer for such a short project specifically is absolutely ridicilous, as the work-in for those would take longer and more resource than they could provide after it.
    What they could do, is recruiting more people in general, what they are doing by the way. One quick glance at Blizzard's Site http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...egion=Americas would've told you the following: yes, they ARE increasing their manpower, since liker forever. They ARE making features based on our feedback, as i said before.

Sitting there claiming things like "Nuh uh, they could put a little effort into it" is just an rather shallow attack on Blizzard, and nothing short of that.

So you may call me a hypocrite when you feel better about it, or you can actually correct your view about a whole industry based on knowledge rather than your opinion.

Ps: the point about the "relic" was specifically aimed at the NO-TECH Complain People spout. Yes, it is possible that they need to do those things from scratch. Furthermore, there is absolutely no reason for them to lie about that part, from a business standpoint there is nothing to gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    That sucks all I want to do is use my naxx swords that goes on your back all the time. As for fist weps, they obviously arn't going to fix the fact that you can't see the out of combat they should just remove them. They are all ugly anyway.

Outrageous! Fist weapons have some of the best models in the game!
    But yes, I don't see why they can't hang from the hip as most other 1hs, probably because Blizzard is not prioritizing making different sheathe/unsheathe animations. They don't seem to be any closer to making DW-animations for polearms so..
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    This affects us more than anyone else, dear Rogues. To the forums with us?
    No it affects monks, warlocks and mages pretty much the same as rogues.. It even affects SMF warriors who wanted to use fist weapons instead swords.....

I agree, that limitation is stupid and I completely don't get why it's there..

Well actually I do - and the reasoning is even more stupid.. Blizz once said that the big problem with transmogging weapon types are.. Titan grip warriors who could then transmog into 2x polearms - and Blizz is "not happy" with animations of TG polearms...
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...-Blizzard-News
    What's the story behind not having any str polearms (or staves) as a warrior i hate being limited to AXE/SWORD/MACE.
    The answer is a little lame, but the animations for polearms don't work well with Titan's Grip. We want to fix.
    So they couldn't make it possible for swords into polearms transmog.. So they came with those stupid rules :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!