Poll: How would you react if you saw a spirit or apparition?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    My knee-jerk reaction might be fear. But then my scientific side would want to find out what this was, and as much as I'd like to believe in fairy tales; the evidence (or lack thereof) speaks for itself.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    I would attack it and then loot it for epic loot.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Considering ghosts aren't real, I wouldn't do anything.

Deleted
    Depends entirely on how it was behaving. If it was looking at me and all "Sup bro?" then I would approach it and attempt to communicate. If it was still, or hadn't noticed me, I would watch it with curiosity. However, if it was a poltergiest, looked angry and was throwing knives and stuff around, I would run. I've read enough books and watched enough movies to know NOT to confront a vengeful spirit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd imagine me and my loyal dog companion would yell in unison - "It's a G-G-G-GHOST!"

I'd probably have a heart attack...as much as I think I'd be all cool headed and logical in my approach.

I'd honestly be very shocked but I'd keep my cool. Then like I'd just wait to see what it'd do. If it's hostile (or if it comes toward me) I'd fucking grab a knife (I need a gun...) or something. If it just looks at me, I might turn curious and start walking toward it. If it runs away, I might chase it.

Hmmm that would be great news to be honest! That means I can come back and haunt people *Boooooo*.
    No, seriously!

I'd go see a doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    To start off this isn't a thread to discuss if you do or don't believe in ghosts, spirits or apparitions, this is for anyone who may have experienced something, or who in general believes there are such things as ghosts and spirits.

When I was around the age of 8, and staying in a rented house on holiday with my family, I remember one night getting up needing something to drink. Where the house was shaped there was a long corridor just running off from the kitchen door, and to get to the kitchen meant walking past it. As I did and looked down the corridor, I saw something stood there, like a person but they were translucent. I didn't stop but moved into the kitchen, got the drink, came back, and whatever was there was gone.

Since then I believed there are things not quite of this world, although a fact that so many people want to exaggerate such things existing so they can make money from it is very much a matter of fact to, so well I believe there are spirits and apparitions, its not quite as vastly drawn out as so many would have you believe.

I'll add a poll to this thread, if you were for whatever reason, staying somewhere or coming to a place where to saw something supernatural, how do you think you would react to it? Watch it? Run from it? run from the house/place you saw it? confront it?

It's hard to say. I like to think I'm a manly man...but in that situtation I would either stand there frozen or run in fear.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Meh." pretty much.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes when I was younger I would see stuff, if I turned my head too quickly and what not, made it look like something was there but in reality nothing was. When I was at school we did an oijui board (spelling?) on the desk, lol I just wrote a circle with numbers on the bloody desk like a tool. I had this empty ink cartridge and this was all during a lesson, my mate starting it and was moving the cartridge around and I was like "yeah yeah whatever" I tried it, and I shit you not when I say it started to move, i was only holding the tip of it and was pressing down slightly on the table, as soon as I felt it move I immediately let go of it and freaked out.

My mate was teasing me saying I would be getting "visitors" when i went home, every single noise made me jump and I was well scared haha.

On another note more recently, when i was with my ex gf I brought a glass of water to bed with me as I had a little annoying cough that would start when you went to bed, for some reason, anyways I woke up and could feel it coming so lent down and took a sip. The next thing I know is I hear this almighty smash, and I turned to my gf and was squeezing her arm so hard and I felt something I never felt before, true fear! I can't tell you how this felt, but I never ever EVER have felt anything like that nor have I felt since (thankfully) I actually beleived there was a ghost behind me smashing the glass, as it was still "smashing" when I was looking at my gf!

Turns out, when I took a sip I didnt put it back down and held it on my chest before nodding off.....the wierd thing though was even though it was almost full of water none of it was on the bed sheets, that kinda freaked me out and was questioning that "event" for days after, was a bit of a laugh though in the end :P
    Last edited by Hypasonic; 2013-01-05 at 02:27 PM.

Look for the projector/mechanism and see if I can figure out how it was done

Deleted
    Studies revealed that in certain cirumstances (dark rooms, very silent places), the human brain makes up shapes and sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfdN_megX4E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ewX-4eIomM

This is why most ghost story's happen in the dark.
    And I don't say there can't be spirits/ghosts, I just say that most if not all of such stories can be explained scientificly.
    Everything can be explained with science, if it can't be explained then it A. does not exist or B. we haven't found an explanation yet.

So I voted disbelief. But if I clearly saw one of such things, I would go and confront it.

Deleted
    I like supernatural things or the idea of going mad, so I'd probably be quite pleased to meet one. I've seen all the movies and tv shows about the perils of ghosts and so on, so I'd have entire ream of recieved opinion about ghosts and their presentation in the media to prepare me for such an encounter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Get ready for:

ILLUSSIONS HALLUCINATIONS
    SCIENCE DIDN'T PROVE IT

Brace yourself OP.
    Yes indeed. We can't just not try to explain things, thats not how we work, we can't just leave it and say 'its magic'. Thats not done

I'd address the situation rationally and note that our human brains are far better at tricking us than we like to give it credit for, especially under particular circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    Equality is a universal concept, you either care about it for everyone, or you don't care about it. It can't be compartmentalized, you can't champion equality for solely one group, that's inimical to the whole idea of equality.
    To make room for the cupcake!

Deleted
    I'd grab a nearby iron rod to fend it off, then get myself some salt, find its corpse, scatter the salt over it and burn it, so the spirit is forced out of the mortal plane.

And yes, I watched too much Supernatural.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably phone a psych ward to come and pick me up.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Google "what to do when hallucinating".
    Step 1. Dont look at fing- WOOOOOOAAA

I would grab every measuring instrument at hand and star formulating a hypothesis on how does it work. If it exists, it's a part of this world. If it's a part of this world, it must follow a set of rules. And if it follows a set of rules, scientific method can find out what those rules are, and why they are. A non-baryonic being, as your standard ghost stories seem to suggest, would be a thrilling discovery.

Not that it seems likely to happen in any way, though.