Poll: What was your favorite tier of WoW to this point?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Catasylah View Post
    How can people say this is on par with Ulduar? I know it is an opinion but if you truly did Ulduar when it was relevant then you must be delusional... New mechanics for each boss, GORGEOUS scenery, immersive floor plan(not one big stupid fucking corridor), HARD MODES instead of heroics, and beautiful weapon models. ToT is similar to Ulduar in length and with an Algalon-esque boss but is not of equal awesomeness to Ulduar: The whole place is extremely gray, you literally follow one path(what kind of castle is that?), Weapon models have similar colours and Tier gear is kind of substandard in the art department(some of the shoulders are quit nice but most have clipping issues), and if you are in passable gear from the last raid tier it really is not too difficult to clear on NORMAL. Heck, my small group of friends that is a guild has some decent progress on Ji-Kun. Slightly dissapointed with all the hype for this raid but also hopeful for the future of raiding if this is the design direction and they can improve it!

Meh..... Sunwell >>> Ulduar.

Sunwell was really nice for non-raiding activities mostly because of the isle they added. Comparing the features of that patch to the features of 5.2 and 5.2 is obviously the better patch. For me I think it comes down to having the feeling of the game still being somewhat fresh back in 2.4

I personally rate it 5.2 = 2.4 > 3.1 > 3.3 = 4.2 > 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Djouga View Post
    Because Arthas himself is the single most recognizable, charismatic character from the only Warcraft game that ever mattered (The Frozen Throne) and the tales of the old gods is just some random crap.
    On top of that his story is also very close to a direct rip-off of the story of King Arthur, it's also filled with clichés and other stupid characters. Arthas is likely the most recognizable character for non-Warcraft fans, but he sure is one of the most annoying, whiny and overrated character in not only Warcraft, but overall. And voila, they made it even worse in WotLK.

The Old God tales are hardly just some random crap, they're pretty much the main conflict of Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Catasylah View Post
    How can people say this is on par with Ulduar? I know it is an opinion but if you truly did Ulduar when it was relevant then you must be delusional... New mechanics for each boss, GORGEOUS scenery, immersive floor plan(not one big stupid fucking corridor), HARD MODES instead of heroics, and beautiful weapon models. ToT is similar to Ulduar in length and with an Algalon-esque boss but is not of equal awesomeness to Ulduar: The whole place is extremely gray, you literally follow one path(what kind of castle is that?), Weapon models have similar colours and Tier gear is kind of substandard in the art department(some of the shoulders are quit nice but most have clipping issues), and if you are in passable gear from the last raid tier it really is not too difficult to clear on NORMAL. Heck, my small group of friends that is a guild has some decent progress on Ji-Kun. Slightly dissapointed with all the hype for this raid but also hopeful for the future of raiding if this is the design direction and they can improve it!
    I actually really like the atmosphere of ToT, it feels much more dangerous than Ulduar did until you of course wandered into Yoggy's chamber. The fact that it's very linear if probably ToT's only letdown, but at least it doesn't have as many filler bosses like Ulduar had, like Auriaya and that fire guy. Also, since you're talking about people being delusional it needs to be mentioned that many people are very delusional about Ulduar too.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2013-03-17 at 03:27 PM.

Deleted
    Voted ICC not because it's the 'best' raid but because I simply had most fun in that tier.

Not seen enough of ToT yet.

I think you missed some options, notably Tier 4 and Tier 5. Black Temple is only Tier 6, but I voted for it because I liked all of TBC much better. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking, but I loved the epic feel of Karazhan, the group boss of Mul'gar where each class had a specific job and performing it optimally was key, Gruul where it was a basic tank and spank on an epic scale (big rocks falling down all over the place and consistent knockbacks). Magtheridon was such a rewarding kill when you got him down to 5% and he did an explosion and you saw the cubes go off (though it was annoying to watch him channel and the cubes not go off). Then you had all of Tier 5, which was top-notch from beginning to end, both in the amount of coordination required, the perfectly placed gear checks, and the epic scale of Vashj and Kael'thas.

Ultimately I feel like Tier 5 was Blizzard's best tier in terms of balance. There were guilds on every end of the spectrum, those 10-man guilds that could only clear Zul'Aman and Karazhan, the fail guilds that were always 1/4 TK, 2/6 SSC and 2/2 Gruul's, and so forth. It's what really got me into and excited about raiding, and every tier since then has just not lived up to it.

I personally hated all of Ulduar. Which is odd, because it came out during a good period of my life when I had lots of free time to play WoW, but I just hated it so much that I couldn't get into it. That extended through all of ICC, and made the longest timeframe that I've ever been unguilded. Most of the fights felt very unenthusiastic. You can claim the layout was engaging, but ultimately you ended up going down one progression path either way, hard modes were either ridiculously overtuned or just laughably easy. Do you remember what XT's hard mode was? DPS down the heart, and suddenly he has more health and does more damage!! Yay?

In my opinion, I think people maintain the thought that Ulduar was the best because it contained a couple amazing challenging encounters (Mimiron and Yogg), and forget the rest of the tier. As well as the fact that it had the "newness" factor of Hard modes. Ulduar was also only technically the most recent tier for, what, 5 months? I feel if Ulduar had lasted as long as ICC or DS it would be hated by everyone, since they would've had to see the boring encounters week after week after week and time after time.
    Last edited by IxilaFA; 2013-03-17 at 04:41 PM.

Tier 15 is looking good, but it is too early to tell if it is going to be better than Ulduar.

So far, Ulduar is better for me. But I have not even started raiding Throne of Thunder apart from LFR, so I will have a better opinion in some months.

Deleted
    i never really liked ulduar tbh.

this seems like a pretty good tier of what i've seen. haven't cleared it on normal yet so really cant pass judgement and say it is the best. will be hard for it to beat T10 / T11 in my books tho

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by laserguns View Post
    ToT is ugly. The dark blue palate reminds me more of ICC than Ulduar.
    Black Temple and [...] are the raids that actually look good.
    Excuse me?
    Black Temple has to be one of the ugliest raids there is if you're judging from the palette alone.

Deleted
    I'm pretty happy with this tier so far (having not seen heroic modes yet) but i wouldn't call it better than ulduar just yet.

Dragon Soul has votes? ....Why?

Deleted
    It's a good tier, the boss are fun. I don't like how the instance is one long corridor though

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    Karazhan was, bar none, the best online game experience I ever had. Not simply raiding. I have never enjoyed this game more than during Karazhan.
    SO much this. I never did Karazhan when it was relevant progression wise but i still cleared it before Sunwell patch which was a huge accomplishment and it was fascinating the amount of nuanced lore in there! I read all the books lying around and they were little treasure troves of lore and it was about Medivh! the guardian! how freaking awesome is that to take over his private extra-dimensional castle!!! IMO Burning Crusade Raids had the highest level of immersion in WoWs history and to me immersion > sparkly gimmicks(read: most of 5.0's raid tactics)

You didn't even put t11 on the poll man wth that was the best raid teir

Best of MoP? Maybe. Ever? lol no.

Deleted
    I liked T14, namely HoF and MSV better visually, but T15 is better mechanically.

That said, T15 is not even remotely close to comparing to T8 and T11. Even T10 was a lot better.

In the future we're going to look back on the 5.2 tier as the point at which WoW raiding jumped the shark in recycling every mechanic possible ad nauseum into a giant gratuitous mess of unnecessary complexity. The current work really screams of a crisis within the organization in which encounter designers are being scrutinized, as all the public interviews with Ion suggest a very aggressive PR campaign to sell us on the validity of this Firelands 2.0 shitstorm of mechanics.

We're going to either see a radical re-thinking of what the raiding game is supposed to be like moving forward, or this will really be the point at which the community later recognized that WoW raiding became irrelevant.

So to answer the question, this is probably one of the worst, within the context of the history and development of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lich King will always be the best. Most of this stuff wasn't in any of the warcraft series. I'm having a hard to relating to it.

Cant be serious poll surely?!?
    Tot better than black temple and original naxx? Not a chance...when them raids was released it was beyond epic! And not to mention other raids that was just as impressive as cata and mop raids....Kara , opening of aq40 and the run up for server firsts...fuck that shit even killing Vaelastrasz the Corrupt before he destroyed your guild was a bigger experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rodney View Post
    not so impressed so far.. ulduar, icc.. hell the whole lich king era was much better.. again.. whos thunder king? what did he do?

Who the hell's Yogg'Saron? What did he do?

Go troll somewhere else if this is the basis behind you judging how good a tier is.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    Who the hell's Yogg'Saron? What did he do?

Go troll somewhere else if this is the basis behind you judging how good a tier is.
    You gotta admit, Thunder King did come outta nowhere...