Thread: "Jif" not "Gif"

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    So if I invent a file type tomorrow and call it .mus and I tell the world it is pronounced "PIE", then both pronounciations should be acceptable?? NO!!!
    I should be ridiculed as a moron!! And so should this guy!! Just because you invent a file format doesn't make you non-retarded.
    There is no fucking way the acronymn GIF should be pronounced with a J sound.
    Your example makes no sense as mus is nowhere equal to pie. In both jif and gif the 'if' is the same and it is possible for the 'g' to make a 'j' sound (i.e. age, germ etc).

I've never heard anyone pronounce it with a hard G. Even in my computer courses in college the professors said 'jif'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Stop being a Git!
    I can be as much of a general giant gymnastic as I want!
    But yea, hard to decide from an abbreviation whether the G is hard or soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    M8 i swer to g0d i wil wrek u, srsly m8 fk englash.

Yeah, i invented English - problem?
    Now I understand why you guys always put u's randomly in words.

Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    Now I understand why you guys always put u's randomly in words.
    It's distinguishing, and not always totally silent over here!
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh, I never really thought about it. I just went with Jif.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Go sit on a Grenade! English is one fucked up language.....

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Huh, I never really thought about it. I just went with Jif.
    Why? It is a G, not a J >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Godavari View Post
    i think ur the one stupid, if he created it he can call it whatever he wants. names arent bound by prounounciation rules.

Names aren't bound my pronunciation rules...... LOL WHAT?! Then how do you know how to pronounce them????
    Good god are you hearing yourself?

Yours truly, Eldrad (Eldrad is pronounced "Susan") See what I did there, dumbass?

Don't most letters in acronyms take on teh sound of the letter in the words that make it up? Graphic has a hard G sound...so the acronym would too...

Whatever..as long as people understand what you're referring to, what does it matter how it's pronounced?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Why? It is a G, not a J >_>
    Read the posts above you, some gs are soft.
    I am the lucid dream

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Read the posts above you, some gs are soft.
    But this isn't one of them >_>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Go sit on a Grenade! English is one fucked up language.....
    How about these G's? Cough, Hiccough, Through, Though, Thought, Plough, Slough.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    But this isn't one of them >_>
    Who determines that though? If he is the creator of the word, wouldn't he be the one to decide?

Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    Your example makes no sense as mus is nowhere equal to pie. In both jif and gif the 'if' is the same and it is possible for the 'g' to make a 'j' sound (i.e. age, germ etc).

I've never heard anyone pronounce it with a hard G. Even in my computer courses in college the professors said 'jif'.
    It makes as much sense as taking the word Graphic and putting it into an acronym and pronouncing that acronym that starts with the same letter in graphic with a J sound.... ie NO SENSE AT ALL.

How there is even debate about this boggles my mind. People sitting here defending using the J sound... there's just something wrong with your brain and you think in a way that I can't comprehend. But then again we live in a world where people believe in magical deities that supposedly created everything, and kill other people who believe in different magical deities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    It could be argued that juh sounding guhs have a vowel phonetic after the G in most cases. There probably are exceptions but I can't think of any off the top of my head. For a hard G they can have vowels "git" or consonants "grump". In terms of English it would explain the tendency towards the gif version since it's graphic not jraphic. It doesn't really make sense to say it with a juh from an English perspective.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say "jif" and no one's going to convince me otherwise.

Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Putin khuliyo

It's both. Get over it.

TomAtoe. TomatOH.
    Meep~

It makes as much sense as taking the word Graphic and putting it into an acronym and pronouncing that acronym that starts with the same letter in graphic with a J sound.... ie NO SENSE AT ALL.

How there is even debate about this boggles my mind. People sitting here defending using the J sound... there's just something wrong with your brain and you think in a way that I can't comprehend. But then again we live in a world where people believe in magical deities that supposedly created everything, and kill other people who believe in different magical deities.
    I praise the day we pronounce all acronyms as true words in their own right:

LOL - Laugh, Out Loud - Clearly La-ou-Lo, not Lol
    DOS - Declaration of Security - Clearly De-O-Sec, not Doss.
    CAD - Computer Aided Design - Clearly Cah-Ay-D, not Cad.

Point is, the words making up the acronym have not bearing on how we say the acronym, since the acronym is not even a word, the pronunciation can be allowed to be ambiguous.
    I am the lucid dream

Next you are going to tell me its pronounced GayPEG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jiff is a peanut butter.

.gif, which starts with a G as in GUM is GIF. gif = Graphics Interchange Format

So, that article is stupid... rather, the inventor of the file format is stupid for thinking it should be pronounced with a J sound.
    If there is some obscure English language rule at play here that says we should pronounce the word, which is an acronym with a G sounding word at the start, with a J sound, then the rule needs to be updated for a time when people aren't morons that think putting leeches on people will cure them of any disease.
    G is one of those letters with two sounds applied and ambiguous (if any) rules as to when which sound is used.

Gum. Gavel. Garrett

Germ. Gentle. Giant.
    Putin khuliyo