Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    You have to break it down: What are player models? They are cosmetic things that people want because they like their character to look pretty - same as mounts or helms. It doesn't matter how "big" they are, they're still the same thing at the core. So why then are mounts and helms ok, but player models not?

Is it only because they've been "promised" that makes it different? Or is it because they're something that the majority of players actually want or feel they deserve?

I'm just trying to prove a point here.
    That is all well and good but again part of why Blizzard is updating character models is to make them all more consistent with each other. Putting them in the cash shop runs counter to that as it would result in a mish mash of wildly different looking models making the game overall look worse than it did before the update. It just isn't going to happen. Now that isn't to say they won't put some additional options for the new character models in the cash shop which I think is likely but the actual updated models themselves will be free.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    let's all just continue to post this in every thread about it

And mods need to start banning for this nonsense. The industry has changed and Blizzard has to change with it or get left behind. That is all there is to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not clamoring for new character models. I suppose I'd be a bit miffed if Blizzard made them store only (mainly because they said they had the intention of letting people do it for free,) but it IS purely a cosmetic change...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

new char models were promised years ago .. but they were busy making cute fluffy pandas and aliens and barbie dolls :P
    well some high poly (or atleast a bit more high poly) models for your own char, woudn't realy hurt

paying for it sounds just retarded, it's not an option and it affects all players. i don't see a way you can "transmog" your char to look better .. (well you can change the game files .. lawl^^)

well i don't like paying for mounts/pets/etc and pay for the game .. just seems wrong to me somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    All I'm saying is that from a business stand point, there's no reason to not put updated models in the cash store. It would be foolish from a profit standpoint to not pass it up. They would make millions off it.

It would hands down be the top seller in the cash shop, no contest. All the sales from pets and mounts wouldn't hold a candle to the amount of sales they would get from this.
    But it was also be a dirty and underhanded business practice to force us to pay for something they've been promising us for years.
    Yeah, it would sell well, but it wouldn't go over well at all with the fanbase, especially considering its hard enough to pay several hundred dollars to continue playing this game. I would definitely start sending in angry letters to Blizzard HQ and encourage other players to as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeb View Post
    It's because they've been promised. I think they first talked about updated models at the end of the WOTLK and few expansions later and we still haven't seen them. Plus it's a great selling point for the next expansion.
    It won't be a selling point though at least not any more than Pandaren were for Mop. People got the race for free regardless of account level and regardless of region. Character models are very likely to be released in exactly the same manner, free.

I'm just kinda poking into the thread, I haven't read the whole thing. I imagine there are a whole lot of posts saying "lol i'll quit if that happens"?

If so, good. It'd be suicidal to demand payment to have more than... How many polys do old models even have?
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    maby he actully meant it like "i dont want my model too be upgraded please dont do it" so he can actully choose if he gets upgraded or not
    And this isn't likely to happen either. Again bear in mind Blizzard is doing this for the sake of consistency so no they aren't going to go to the trouble of updating new models to make the game look more consistent and then undermine their very own goal by allowing players to use the old models. Anyone expecting opt ins, opt outs or toggles or tick boxes for character models are going to be sorely disappointed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    Honestly, after all the hype surrounding new character models, and the fact that this isn't a speculative feature, they have actually confirmed to be working on it, putting them on the store would be cataclysmic, and this is coming from someone who's usually ok with anything that happens in WoW. We're not talking about a single cosmetic part of a character here, but the full model with which you play every time you login, and an update which is quite anticipated by many of us.
    Said the best. Most people are asking for updates, which blizzard agrees and has stated to be working on them. To turn around now and put them in the store to milk extra cash out of the consumer base is asking for a large sub loss. With gear transmogs it's different, because they can be developed by artists on the side, and are alterations that are completely unnecessary. Many people feel the character models themselves are necessary updates, due to the quality of the art that is produced in recent expansions.

Forcing people to buy the updates would possibly get a few people to buy it, but it would also cause a bunch of other people to get pissed that their sub won't get the updates and they'd quit. Logic says that they don't want people to quit, and the best way to avoid a sub loss (and there would be a pretty hefty one) they would provide it through patching.

I think people fail to realize that those who still play this game don't do it for the fancy models and cosmetic shit in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    That is all well and good but again part of why Blizzard is updating character models is to make them all more consistent with each other. Putting them in the cash shop runs counter to that as it would result in a mish mash of wildly different looking models making the game overall look worse than it did before the update. It just isn't going to happen.
    If you don't pay for the new models then you don't get to download the "new model" patch and every character in the game stays the same as it is now. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    And this isn't likely to happen either. Again bear in mind Blizzard is doing this for the sake of consistency so no they aren't going to go to the trouble of updating new models to make the game look more consistent and then undermine their very own goal by allowing players to use the old models. Anyone expecting opt ins, opt outs or toggles or tick boxes for character models are going to be sorely disappointed.
    Even though, bear in mind, Blizzard stated they may add the option for people to play with the old models if they want, giving the player the option to stick with a model they love. They're confident their new models will be good, but they do understand people like the old ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    key point here is "subscription based games" if they got rid of the monthly access fee and did this, the response would be entirely different and cash store EXPECTED.

I personally feel the negative response has a lot to do with the game still being subscription based. if you want to do this, you make the game f2p at the same time. these things must coincede
    Again WHY? Who says subscription based games can't charge for other services and items? Again I have no issue with those who dislike microtransactions but I really would like to hear some actual reasons here other than the usual "my way or the highway" rhetoric that has infested these threads and stifled any actual constructive discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    Some people line up waiting to be milked by Blizz. I mean seriously, just write them a blank check already...
    You mean people who are in no way forced to buy anything from Blizzard will do so anyway because they consider it worth the money? Imagine that. It is almost like this is a free market economy or something. Oh wait. It is.

I don't think this would ever happen. Think about all the NPCs that use player models. Can you imagine old models and new models in the same crowd? It'd be silly. All the old models are gonna have to get updated, with maybe a few "throwbacks" in choice locations (like the Alpha model humans in Old Hillsbrad), and that includes the players.

It would be bad for the game aesthetically and bad for player perception of Blizzard itself.

I just hope they offer free recustomization. Who knows what my poor characters will look like after the computer auto-updates them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or just a toggle option between old and new for everyone at no cost. Even if it just changes what the player sees and not other people. I'm sure there is a lot of coding junk that goes into this, that might be a really tricky thing for the system to sell and add to an account, similarly to how you will prob never see an option to change class...too much involved behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    New character models = cash shop

This isn't actually a bad idea, because only the people who WANT to have the new models for their toons can pick and choose which one. Everyone wins.

For example, I like my hunchback orc so wouldn't pay to have him updated, but I would definitely pay $15-25 dollars to have my human warrior updated with a new model. There's really no reason why Blizz SHOULDN'T do this. They make tons of money and only the people who want their toon to look different will purchase. Thoughts?
    Blizzard is really happy with you as a subscriber.

You are either trolling or didn't think this through. I don't think I have to point it out, I'm guessing you get enough flames/attention from other users without reading any replies.

Now that I've gone through this thread, I'm convinced the OP was trolling.

For the low low price of $25 each....right? Fuck that. Not everything needs to be cash shop. I pay a subscription so I want the important content with that sub. Its basically a world update so it is important content.

Stop wanting Blizz to be greedy(er).

Seriously OP this is one of the worst ideas I've ever read in my life. I would quit right away if this is what they did.

Ya OP, really smart idea. What's next you gotta pay a $1 per dungeon and $5 for a raid? Come on... Why should ANYONE have to pay so their characters don't have one giant block as a hand.

The OP's trolling guys. There's no one possibly this stupid on earth. Can we get a mod to shut down this train wreck?