... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Snap...lolz
    Had to get 1 dig in after that pinky toe joke

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousAequitas View Post
    With the government shutdown now in 'full effect,' it begs the question (from an economic standpoint, if nothing else) as to why we have so many 'non-essential' government workers. Logically, it would seem that if someone's job is not important, then there really is no need to keep paying that individual to perform a job that is not needed. With over 800,000 of our government employees now deemed non-essential by their very own employer, shouldn't the American people be looking for a much better return on their investment than simply continuing to pay billions of dollars each year to those who are 'essentially' not important?

cnn.com/2013/10/01/politics/government-shutdown/
    Non-essential isn't the same as non-benefitial.
    Essential is what is needed to run anything at all so that society doesn't collapse.

There are definitely cuts that could be made in the military that would be beneficial to us generally, and free up a lot of money. Our procurement process to name one thing that needs to be addressed, and the $'s paid for antiquated equipment to defense companies.
    I don't just mean tighter spending, I mean less need for the military to exist at all. Like, actual reductions in power, assuming we aren't at war with the rest of the world until the end of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Government spending into debt ends the recession on the populace, but then how to pay back that debt which is accumulating interest?
    Well, if we dropped the debt as fast as Truman did, it wouldn't be hard. And the Truman years where pretty good economically.

I don't just mean tighter spending, I mean less need for the military to exist at all. Like, actual reductions in power, assuming we aren't at war with the rest of the world until the end of time.
    Well we're in the process of doing that, for better or for worse.

Thing is, we did that before during the 90's than come the early 2000's we were scrambling to train and equip personal.

Its cheaper to maintain what you have as opposed to having to re-invent the wheel every 5-10 years.
    Last edited by Theinquisition; 2013-10-02 at 01:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have to go with no, not a good idea. Unless you like Chinese food that is....

So your litmus test of whether their job is important is to stop them coming in to work for a couple of days, and if the country doesn't explode, they're a useless waste of money?

Maybe the same logic should be applied to you in your job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I would have to go with no, not a good idea. Unless you like Chinese food that is....
    I'd imagine as long as they are as dependant on our economical buying power as we are on them not calling in debt, we wont be eating chinese food by force anytime soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So your litmus test of whether their job is important is to stop them coming in to work for a couple of days, and if the country doesn't explode, they're a useless waste of money?

Maybe the same logic should be applied to you in your job?
    Scientists are a waste of money! Who needs advances in technology or breakthroughs in health!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    That's nothing more than fear mongering.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if Russia is laughing at us.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Well we're in the process of doing that, for better or for worse.

Thing is, we did that before during the 90's than come the early 2000's we were scrambling to train and equip personal.
    Good thing we did though. Otherwise we'd have $1.5 trillion and over 6,000 coalition soldiers still alive. What would we do with all that money and all those empty graves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Why would they be? they have been having more problems over the last 10 years than us by a long shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if they are, we can always say "your president looks like a dog!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would they be? they have been having more problems over the last 10 years than us by a long shot.
    Our government is shut down though. Their government is not, I'm just waiting for Putin to go

"LOL NOOBS, L2PECONOMICSBITCHES" But in political speak.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Good thing we did though. Otherwise we'd have $1.5 trillion and over 6,000 coalition soldiers still alive. What would we do with all that money and all those empty graves?
    You're really missing the point.

Just because they're are less of us doesn't mean that our very intelligent and forward thinking politicians aren't going to put us into conflict. Wanna be mad at someone, be mad at the politicians that put us in combat, not the guys who are obligated to get the job done.

Jimminy Christmas mormolyce, why do you go out of your way to insult people?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's nothing more than fear mongering.
    No, that would have been saying "unless you like speaking Chinese", the statement about eating Chinese is alluding to the use of McDonald's to show the impact of America on the world. Perhaps a bit too subtle for you. Large swaths of area in the South China Sea on the other hand do have reason to worry about speaking Chinese...

Our procurement process to name one thing that needs to be addressed
    Yep, that seems like the obvious one. Right now, the process seems to go like this:

Congress: Here, have this tank.
    Military: Uhhh... think we're all set on tanks? And that doesn't really suit our purposes anyway.
    Congress: No really, have this tank.
    Military: OK, but I don't think we need it.
    Congress: It wasn't a suggestion. Take the fucking tank.

Our government is shut down though. Their government is not, I'm just waiting for Putin to go

"LOL NOOBS, L2PECONOMICSBITCHES" But in political speak.

True, but instead of shutting down they just don't pay people, or pay soldiers in Mayonnaise. Id be cool with that if they included some sliced honeyham and soft bread.....but.....idk if that was the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yep, that seems like the obvious one. Right now, the process seems to go like this:

Military: Uhhh... think we're all set on tanks? And that doesn't really suit our purposes anyway.
    Sounds like Congress is the angry gf to the military bf, where they'll throw a fit if you dont accept what they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post

lol, I know right.

I was thinking of where I am in Army aviation. 75,000$ for a flight computer designed in the 70's, built in the 80's and obsolete by the 90's. That's for a refurbished one as well, not even new.