Page 1 of 123
... LastLast
    Deleted

Omaha, Neb. Denies girl (16) abortion - She must have the child.

Credit goes to Reddit (lol) for this being on page 1.

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — In a split decision released Friday, the Nebraska Supreme Court rejected a 16-year-old ward of the state's request to waive parental consent to get an abortion, saying the girl had not shown she is sufficiently mature and well-informed enough to decide on her own whether to have an abortion.

The girl, who is not named in the opinion, was living with foster parents this year when a juvenile court terminated the parental rights of her biological parents, who had physically abused and neglected her. In a closed hearing this summer, she told Douglas County District Judge Peter Bataillon she was 10 weeks pregnant and asked for a court order allowing an abortion. She said she would not be able to financially support a child and feared she might lose her foster placement if her foster parents, whom she described as having strong religious beliefs, learned of her pregnancy.
    Her attorney, Catherine Mahern of Omaha, argued that the girl didn't need anyone's consent for an abortion under the regulations of the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, which states that "if a ward decides to have an abortion, the consent of the parent(s) or Department is not required," although notification of the parents of the abortion might be required.

Nebraska law was changed in 2011 from requiring minors to inform parents of an abortion to requiring them to get the written, notarized consent of a parent or guardian. Exceptions are limited to cases of abuse by the parent or guardian, medical emergencies and instances in which the minor is sufficiently mature and well-informed to decide whether to have an abortion.

Bataillon rejected the girl's request, saying that for the purpose of her case, her foster parents would serve as her guardians — even though, under Nebraska law, the department is considered the guardian of wards. Bataillon also found that the girl had not shown she was mature enough to make the decision to seek an abortion.

Mahern appealed the girl's case, saying Bataillon failed to recognize the exception for abuse in Nebraska's parental consent law. She also said Bataillon should have recused himself because he was not impartial, as evidenced by his asking the girl if she knew that, "When you have the abortion, it's going to kill the child inside you."
    "Probably the most disturbing aspect of this case was the judge's treatment of this young lady, referring to killing her baby," Mahern said Friday. "Who talks to a distressed 16-year-old girl like that?"
    http://www.chron.com/news/article/Ne...on-4869315.php

Above is just a selection of the text, but how the fuck can a judge be so biased and refuse to grant it? Let alone the language used, they decried the girl as not informed nor sufficiently able to be allowed an abortion - But they wish her to raise a child?

That's major class A bullshit.

Deleted
    That's pretty fucked up. How can they even say that she's not sufficiently mature or well-informed enough? I'd say if she can't do that then she should be granted it instantly on that basis instead of having to go through that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'm assuming the baby wasn't through rape. With that said, I have to wonder what the hell is that judge saying. If the girl mentions she can't financially support the baby, then sadly the judge made the wrong decision. I just can't understand his logic.

That's based on the information I have or rather we've been given.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Well, I'm assuming the baby wasn't through rape. With that said, I have to wonder what the hell is that judge saying. If the girl mentions she can't financially support the baby, then sadly the judge made the wrong decision. I just can't understand his logic.

That's based on the information I have or rather we've been given.
    The big problem is the backwards logic. "You're not mature enough to decide that you can't raise a child. Therefore, you are mature enough to raise a child"

Maby she will think twice now about having sex with no protection eh.

this is terrifying, that in america the government can literally force a girl to be a breeding vessel against her will. i am appalled and horrified. and as always, thankful that i don't live there.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Because being naive should get one into such a position where you're denied something to fix the outcome of that?

I hope someone supports her if her foster parents do toss her out, given she doesn't kill herself before that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    It makes me sad that the concept of personal responsibility is quite literally not even considered anymore. This generation can't suffer enough for that.

Having said that, that seems to be a violation of Roe vs. Wade. I despise abortion with every fiber of my being, but the law is the law. Sadly, by the time the Supreme Court makes a ruling on this...the point will kind have passed, you know?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    this is terrifying, that in america the government can literally force a girl to be a breeding vessel against her will. i am appalled and horrified. and as always, thankful that i don't live there.
    Yep this happens everywhere in the United States. @_@

Because being naive should get one into such a position where you're denied something to fix the outcome of that?
    Suck it up princess!

/sarcasm
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    That logic is just... Wow.

Hey, you can't have an abortion - even if you really want one, and can't financially nor emotionally support the child.

(Human rights? toplel)

This is an archaic and horrible approach to women's reproductive rights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait... she tells him that she can't financially support a child, showing concern for the child's welfare, and he claims she isn't mature enough to make an informed decision?

Who the hell put this immature idiot in the judge's chair?
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Because punishing her by forcing her to have a kid who she won't be able to support is mainly hurting her eh.

You can't keep calling unwanted pregnancies punishment for having unprotected sex. You're hurting the child as much as (or in some cases, such as this more than) the parent.

Also, maybe*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    Because punishing her by forcing her to have a kid who she won't be able to support is mainly hurting her eh.

You can't keep calling unwanted pregnancies punishment for having unprotected sex. You're hurting the child as much as (or in some cases, such as this more than) the parent.

Also, maybe*
    Although the child gets to grow up and read the paper that his/her mother wanted to scrape and toss her instead of raise her.

Should be fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    And an innocent life was saved that day.

As for the "language used", if you want to put forth that she was too fragile and frail that asking her if she understands the situation and what it entails is too much for her to handle, then you make the judges case for him that she isn't qualified to make her own medical decisions for herself if she can't handle even discussing the situation.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Before people go loosing thier fucking mind at me, i never said being denied the abortion is right, i just said that maby should should have thought not using protection through alot better. Imo she should trip and cause herself to have an abortion just to show them.

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    It makes me sad that the concept of personal responsibility is quite literally not even considered anymore. This generation can't suffer enough for that.

Having said that, that seems to be a violation of Roe vs. Wade. I despise abortion with every fiber of my being, but the law is the law. Sadly, by the time the Supreme Court makes a ruling on this...the point will kind have passed, you know?
    It's not the government's job to be your mommy and teach you lessons about responsibility by artificially restricting your freedom.

The truth about abortion is that it has always been readily available to the wealthy. Your nonsense about "personal responsibility" (like all nonsense about personal responsibility) only applies to the poor. Funny how that always works out.

Disgusting that a judge can force someone to have a child that they do not want.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    And an innocent life was saved that day.

As for the "language used", if you want to put forth that she was too fragile and frail that asking her if she understands the situation and what it entails is too much for her to handle, then you make the judges case for him that she isn't qualified to make her own medical decisions for herself if she can't handle even discussing the situation.
    And none of that makes it mine or your business, much less the government's, whether she has an abortion.

You can call it a "life" all you want, but that's a religious distinction and the government has no right to impose religion on anyone.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    She's not mature enough or well enough informed to have an abortion, but she's mature enough and well enough informed to be a mother at 16?

She wasn't mature or well enough informed to have her guy wear protection either. But they think it's okay for her to become a parent at 16, when she's with foster parents? Who seem to be really bad foster parents.

Hurts my brain how stupid this is.