Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Hmm...I tank regularly in LFRs on my alts and very rarely get a bad experience. Most runs are pretty smooth, and the occasional jerk I tend to ignore, and often times the group gangs up on him and votes him out.

Now that SOO has been out for some time, very very few individuals don't know the fight. So I actually find playing tank is easier than DPS/healer sometimes. I seldom need to explain or mark things as the group already knows what to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lakhesis View Post
    I'm really enjoying the portion of posts in this thread saying "OP should read up on things beforehand"...

...where the person then immediately turns around & demonstrates that they haven't read the OPs description of what happened.
    I was thinking the same thing. Judging from replies still rolling in, if it's not in the first post, people will make assumptions based on it and not bother to see if the OP replied again with more info (or they would have seen that he told the raid ahead of time he didn't know the fight). There doesn't even seem to be a point in replying pointing it out to them, either, as they either don't come back to to thread at all, or they ignore even more posts so they can continue to wrongly assume things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    I said before the pull I never tanked this before. I was told "just kite the boss around the outside" then before anything else was said I was MD'd by a hunter and the fight begun.
    It's always a hunter...and 95% of the time people aren't paying attention and wouldn't even realize that you didn't actually pull as the tank, so you'll still get blamed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    Joking aside the community can be pretty toxic. One guy got kicked from a raid as he was AFK for 5mins, raid voted it all I did was ask in raid chat if he was coming to the boss (he was in the previous area running in circles).
    The majority of the time, the only people who get kicked out of LFR runs I'm in are people who are either AFK or DC'd.

----------
    Edit: Also, I forgot to mention, I was watching one of my guildmates lament yesterday that he just came back from a 3 year break and made the mistake of going to LFR as a tank. He said he mentioned it was his first time in there as he entered, and instead of any sort of explanation, his only response was a very prompt vote kick before trash was even pulled.
    Last edited by Rivellana; 2013-12-09 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Judging from replies still rolling in, if it's not in the first post, people will make assumptions based on it and not bother to see if the OP replied again with more info (or they would have seen that he told the raid ahead of time he didn't know the fight). There doesn't even seem to be a point in replying pointing it out to them, either, as they either don't come back to to thread at all, or they ignore even more posts so they can continue to wrongly assume things.

It's always a hunter...and 95% of the time people aren't paying attention and wouldn't even realize that you didn't actually pull as the tank, so you'll still get blamed for it.

The majority of the time, the only people who get kicked out of LFR runs I'm in are people who are either AFK or DC'd.
    Bloody hunters! Ever since "hunter weapon" they have done nothing but besmirch my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    What does knowing the fight have to do with knowing your class?

All the reading in the world doesn't prepare someone for 100% success on every fight that they've never seen before. If it worked that way, no one would ever wipe in LFR, flex, normal, or heroic.

I don't get this 100% success mentality people have these days.
    They get used to it by getting carried, and think everyone else's role is as easy as they perceive theirs - i.e. tunnel the boss/spam AE heals.

But yeah, I avoid tanking LFR altogether now because of this kind of crap; first I cut back to only going with another tank from guild but even then it's pretty awful; I've gone through the strategy I intended to use, some asshat decides to ridicule it as "Just LFR" or straight up being 'wrong', and all too often the rest of the group side with them. Even when we've wiped as a result of their failing to follow said plan, it was we as tanks who got blamed for not following the idiot's ideas. It's just not worth the hassle or aggravation. Hurray for Flex is all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindicatu View Post

How would you react if I would ask in /raid Why the hell you come as a tank while you have not learned what to do ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bibly View Post
    He would probably say "The same reason the rest of you are here and unlike the 9 dps under 50k im trying".
    So pointing out other baddies ( who seem to annoy YOU with their dps below 50k ) makes your lack of effort okay ?

It's not about trying, it's about having the courtesy to do a bit of research before taking on the responsibility of leading a group of 25 people.

Checking out tactics is NOT a 100% guarantee to one shotting every boss......not having a clue what to do on a bossfight is almost a 100% guarantee to a clusterfuck, and thus getting flamed in LFR.
    Like it or not, that's how it goes........

Personally I'll never behave in a manner that low, yet realize that specially in LFR/LFD there will be members in the group with that kind of attitude.

If anyone in the future wants to provide solid evidence of this community being toxic, then they just need to point to this thread. Most of the replies here are completely dickish.

RE: LFR tanking, OP's post is basically why I stopped doing it. I research any fight that I'm about to tank beforehand, but that doesn't guarantee there won't be mistakes. And when mistakes happen, I'm not about to sit there for 10 minutes while some random hunter (it's ALWAYS hunters) spergs out on his keyboard like his life depended on a fucking video game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    After that I just thought fuck it ignore the "go go go" comments and will do it might way. Telling the raid ill do X Y Z. For instance the cheese tactic on garrosh. Ever since I have done this I found it to be the best on for LFR. Had a few people say "lol no its a stupid tactic" told them to give it a try. 100% conversion rate from hater to believer since NO ONE CAN RESIST THE CHEESE!
    What is the Cheese tactic for Garrosh?

I like all the "OMG you should read up on all the fights" as if healers and DPS ever do. Given the number of wipes I've experienced because DPS doesn't kill adds even after being told to a dozen times I don't blame tanks for not bothering. Go do Naz and watch the retarded DPS keep atttacking him in D stance and not killing adds. Or not spreading on reflection and swelling. Or not killing/healing the oozes. Or not killing the weapons and MCd players. I could go and on.

They're also notorious for standing in shit and healers half AFK and toss a heal on a fully healed player every two minutes. I especially like healers who spam heal the raid and then brag about being top heals even though they have a crapton of overhealing. Way to waste HoTs.

I learn by doing. It doesn't matter how many videos I watch - I won't get it til I do it. But I'll start watching/reading every video/guide in existence when DPS/heals do the same and learn that adds are priority #1 and to let HoTs do their thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    I like all the "OMG you should read up on all the fights" as if healers and DPS ever do.
    And as if reading about the fights, or even watching a video, actually does much good. Frankly, a lot of the guides out there are simply wrong, listing the incorrect number of stacks at which to swap etc. The only way for a tank to learn a fight, is by doing it. Ideally the other tank will assist you in your learning phase, but some tanks are jerks as well.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    And as if reading about the fights, or even watching a video, actually does much good. Frankly, a lot of the guides out there are simply wrong, listing the incorrect number of stacks at which to swap etc. The only way for a tank to learn a fight, is by doing it. Ideally the other tank will assist you in your learning phase, but some tanks are jerks as well.
    If you don't do any research on the fight then you are part of the problem. Seriously. Rule of thumb:taunt off at one stack then when it drops from there on. Oh look gg. If you don't know what stuff you need to be prepared for then you are being a lazy player. This kind of behavior is why LFG is so terrible and why we cannot have enjoyable dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    My biggest pet peeve is still the "go go" "pull" "go tank" crowd. I got into a Galakras run last night that had no tanks. So I switched from resto to guardian to start working on the trash. Two tanks come in then bail. DK comes in and we finish up trash. Were getting ready to start and the DK is trying to get the raid leader to change my role to tank. Someone starts the boss, 2nd tank pops in and now were stuck with one less heals and three tanks since were now in combat.

I ended up tanking the towers and boss to completion since the entire tower group failed but it might not have in the first place had some impatient retard not started the boss before I could switch back to heals or get my role changed.
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

I can remember maybe TWO times when the raid insulted the tank and the tank left. I can remember about 1000 times when the tank got mad at a dps for pulling aggro and left, or mad at no heals and left, or mad at low dps and left, or mad at mechanics not being followed and left, or made at any little fucking thing in the world and left...because they can and ques are instant.

You will get nooooo sympathy from me

when I tank LFR, I feel like the dps is terrible

when I heal, I feel like im the only one healing or dispelling

so yeah, it sucks and I avoid it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    If you don't do any research on the fight then you are part of the problem. Seriously. Rule of thumb:taunt off at one stack then when it drops from there on. Oh look gg. If you don't know what stuff you need to be prepared for then you are being a lazy player. This kind of behavior is why LFG is so terrible and why we cannot have enjoyable dungeons.
    Thank you for demonstrating my point. If the tank doesn't know the fight inside and out, people like you will throw a hissy fit. On the other hand, the DPS just needs to know that fire burns them. But don't worry, I'm done with LFR mostly because of people like yourself. So there's no danger of me spoiling your enjoyment.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Seriously. Rule of thumb:taunt off at one stack then when it drops from there on. Oh look gg.
    Um no. Clearly you've never tanked.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If you fail at mechanics that are pretty obvious, like standing in fire, you're going to get kicked. The fact that you were standing too far from the pylon shows that you didn't know anything about the fight, which you should have before the pull. Keeping the boss close to the pylons and moving to the next pylon are the main things you have to do during that fight as a tank. You failed at your primary task just like those people who die to standing in poison clouds, lightning and fire. Hell, it's not even a primary task, it should be an instinct to not stand in things that kill you. Coming on here and QQ'ing that you should have had your hand held more on a fight you knew nothing about shows why YOU are the problem. Tanks need to know what's going on in a fight before they start tanking it. When it's new they get a bit more leeway, but for old content there are plenty of guides out there that you could have read. If you don't want to read a guide before doing raid fights then you need to be dps and hope that someone else can explain the fight to you.
    Clearly your another "only read first post" smarty pants. The OP DID ask before the pull what to do. No one responded and it ended up getting face pulled. Frankly - DPS deserve more repair bills because of tanks given the number of wipes THEY cause by getting tunnel vision or only caring about max DPS.

Deleted
    Honestly, all people should be nicer lol, not only to tanks. I have seen as many douchebag tanks as dps and healers. *shrugs* Even if in this instance sounded like it was others fault. People are so fucking impatient its ridiculous. Just an hour ago I did Galakras in LFR, and half of the people didn't know tacts, so I start to explain. "FFS, START IT!" some monkey cry and start the event. Instead of waiting 2 fucking minutes for me to explain the fight, we wipe 2 times (cause some people start it again before Im done), a fight that should take 10 min took 40 mins... >_>

Usually when some dps complain about the tanks being bad gear or do a mistake and cry for a vote in SoO, I just say "Then we kick ALL dps that is under 60k dps, cause that is just as bad", usually the dps that is the worst that complains the most lol.
    Last edited by mmoc2affe961ff; 2013-12-09 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I've removed your link. Repost the image with all names blotted out (just edit the link back in once you've fixed it). Naming and shaming isn't allowed here.

OT: That's why I stopped tanking LFR. I'm an excellent tank but whenever there is a single mistake - lag, the other tank, my mistake - it becomes a horrible cesspool of hate.
    Not being able to name and shame is part of the problem; there are no consequences for your actions even outside of the game. The fact that people can be so insulting and have no social repercussions, which should really be the crutch of an MMO.

But no nothing is being done to address this, you can ignore them, but bam name change and they are off your list or "player not found" technically. Once upon a time you would get a reputation for your behavior. Now you can do anything you like then wipe the slate clean with a character transfer/customization in the unlikely event that your game play is affected by such behaviour. That would be limited to pugs and guilds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    Not being able to name and shame is part of the problem; there are no consequences for your actions even outside of the game. The fact that people can be so insulting and have no social repercussions, which should really be the crutch of an MMO.
    The person in questions actions are reportable in game, which is the correct method of dealing with such behavior.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    What would it take for you to roll Dwarf?
    A hill not to flat that the Dwarf would not roll at all but not to steep that the Dwarf would just fall.

Feels good to be back on MMO-C!

Came back to WoW and forgot my MMO-C details .

Regardless, I've been a long time tank, used to tank and raidlead through the whole of WoTLK and Cata, I have seen alot of threads on here recently (I've been reading up alot before returning to WoW). I must say, I will not let this deter me. Now I am older with a girlfriend and job, I have other priorities. I will be tanking LFR on multiple toons once they are leveled up, I just love tanking. I feel if you set the right tone at the start of the dungeon, people really can't do alot. You just need to find a nice few people within the group, and have a little fun as you go, thats what I've been doing in 5 mans while leveling.

Everyone complains about the toxic community, but if you actually speak to people and try to interact, you'll find its less than half the community that are assholes. I think 1 in the ~8 dungeon groups i've had have been arrogant people, and even that one me and a warlock were having some fun.