Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

So my wife dug up some Vaniila gameplay video she had made way back at launch

Showed me some snippets of us early leveling, many things I had forgotten about and looking back I really missed. Mobs sure hit harder ( and since I was a warrior no self heals). Some things that really stand out while looking at it.

Forgot that there was no quest markers, they gave you a general area to head to ( like go south-east) so you do way more exploring. Gold was like really important and trades/economy was outstanding. You also basically made a character and was tied to what you wanted to do, characters really had a role they filled. Everything tied together meshed so it was important, it flowed nicely.

This isnt a "I hate current WoW" post, I just forgot the good and bad of Vanilla but i do have to say, the good easily outweighed the bad. The decisions like mounts (man they made a difference, wife also had a screenshot of my first ever epic mount as well, that was awesome)

Shit really mattered back then in that the game sucked you in totally.

10+ Year Old Account
    <snip>

Played on feenix emerald dream for a while, didn't get to 60 but I had a 21 priest, 32 shaman and a 24 warrior, and I spend a good chunk of time on those guys, totally brings back the nostalgia and it is much more challenging to level.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-02-17 at 06:35 AM.

Monk Shaman

I had a bowl of nails for breakfast......without any milk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafua View Post
    <snip>

Played on feenix emerald dream for a while, didn't get to 60 but I had a 21 priest, 32 shaman and a 24 warrior, and I spend a good chunk of time on those guys, totally brings back the nostalgia and it is much more challenging to level.
    but their economy is broken as shit because GMs give close friends gold and shit and rates are different.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-02-17 at 06:35 AM.

<snip>

You may want to delete the link, I'm not entirely sure you're allowed to post those kinds of wow servers here.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-02-17 at 06:36 AM.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I miss gold being important. I remember doing the Isle dailies specifically because that 110 gold helped out a lot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Showed me some snippets of us early leveling, many things I had forgotten about and looking back I really missed. Mobs sure hit harder ( and since I was a warrior no self heals). Some things that really stand out while looking at it.

Forgot that there was no quest markers, they gave you a general area to head to ( like go south-east) so you do way more exploring. Gold was like really important and trades/economy was outstanding. You also basically made a character and was tied to what you wanted to do, characters really had a role they filled. Everything tied together meshed so it was important, it flowed nicely.

This isnt a "I hate current WoW" post, I just forgot the good and bad of Vanilla but i do have to say, the good easily outweighed the bad. The decisions like mounts (man they made a difference, wife also had a screenshot of my first ever epic mount as well, that was awesome)

Shit really mattered back then in that the game sucked you in totally.
    As a self proclaimed expert of correct opinions and a disgustingly rabid fanboi of all things Blizzard I have to stop you there are say (on behalf of the entire mmorpg community) that this whole thread is nothing more than rose tinted goggles getting the better of you. Have a sleep and view it again and you will agree that you were wrong.

I remember gold and epic (purple) being important. Even with three 70's it seemed to take for ever to get my first swift flying mount in BC. Back before Sun Well and those "big" money dailies.

<snip>

Part of the MMO-C Terms of Use:

Activities considered illegal by Blizzard Entertainment (botting, hacking, cheating, exploiting,...)

Private servers are against Blizzards Terms of Use. I'd remove that link.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-02-17 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by What-ho Squiffy View Post
    Have a sleep and view it again and you will agree that you were wrong.
    technically... the statement "shit mattered' is correct. Activities we all viewed as shit really did matter. Grinding lvl 40 mobs for money from 'rare' drops, running dungeons over and over to reach a crafting station only found inside (or to train enchanting)... TBH, a lot of the changes up to present are improvements, but there were a few things that were just better in the past (open world pvp, AV, random pugs where no one in the group knew what was going on but it was ok cause the mobs weren't tuned expecting the cookie cutters yet).

Quote Originally Posted by What-ho Squiffy View Post
    As a self proclaimed expert of correct opinions and a disgustingly rabid fanboi of all things Blizzard I have to stop you there are say (on behalf of the entire mmorpg community) that this whole thread is nothing more than rose tinted goggles getting the better of you. Have a sleep and view it again and you will agree that you were wrong.
    I think people have rose-tinted glasses about the current game.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Pre-BC holds a special place in all of our hearts XD
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    I think people have rose-tinted glasses about the current game.
    too true. The strange disbelief that WoW could have been better before they played it is quite astounding.

Deleted
    Oh god I remember how /1 was spammed by thoses "WHERE IS THIS MOB PLS ?".
    On vanilla I was only a child, playing on my brother's account, and I was so poor that I never had enough money to afford for the 100% speed ground mount lol.

Most of that only was better because it was new.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Things were pretty crazy back then. I played an orc warrior on my brothers account before I got my own and the game was a lot of fun but as for me I like that fact that iot has eveolved and changed it makes it so I can have fond memories and wonderful current experiences all at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Most of that only was better because it was new.
    Exactly! Present that exact game today and people would laugh at how bad everything was.
    Nostalgia people.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Like some other here say, my biggest memory from before BC is affording 100% ground mount. I farmed for SO long before i could actually replace the orange mechanostrider (spelling?). Or when you get the quest at the start of Stranglethorn Vale to give some dude in Booty Bay rocks and as you got ground mount at level 40 you actually had to run through the whole length of Stranglethorn getting killed by various invisible tigers.

Those were "the days".

Edit: I just dug up some pictures if me clearing placed like SSC, Karazhan, Gruul's, Magtheridon, ZA in BC and i kept thinking "How the fu*k could i as a thirteen year old boy clear all these playses? Them i rememberd, it was okay having a few tag alongs back then, you did not have to have the perfect enchants or gems (Unless you were playing hardcore). But what i noticed the most was that raids were re-used, they were not this "one patch only" thing, when i was ZA geared/SSC i still played Karazhan. It had some challange and was still fresh. I guess that is the work of LFR for you!
    Last edited by MuLLvaD3n; 2014-02-17 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    Oh god I remember how /1 was spammed by thoses "WHERE IS THIS MOB PLS ?".
    On vanilla I was only a child, playing on my brother's account, and I was so poor that I never had enough money to afford for the 100% speed ground mount lol.
    You could bypass the 1000g epic riding by getting Lt.General(rank 11) in pvp which was really easy if you were a main stay in the HW grinding group. Thats pretty much what most healers did unless the epic riding was a perk for tanks and heals like my old guild.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    but their economy is broken as shit because GMs give close friends gold and shit and rates are different.
    That has nothing to do with reality.
    Currently, the best private server of all private servers is Emerald Dream (1.12.1).
    Why? 100% Blizzlike.
    No other WoTLK, BC or Cata server even comes close.

The game was great back then... in the PAST. It won't be good now if it would have be the same. But yeah, I really like those memories when I visit old zones.

Homophobia is so gay.