View Poll Results: Do you support legislating against circumcision?

Voters
664. This poll is closed
  • Yes i view it as totally unneeded bar for medical necessity.

389 58.58%
  • No, i believe parents should ultimately have the choice to decide.

122 18.37%
  • This is a non-issue for me and i have no real opinion.

63 9.49%
  • Popcorn time.

90 13.55%
Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adio View Post
    As a baby. I mean it doesn't bother or affect my sex life, so when someone says mutilation, it seems extreme. But I understand that it is a surgery, and probably unnecessary for the most part. But like I said, the wording seems strong
    How would you know if it affected your sex life?

Did you get it done for religious reasons?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    If you really want to go into semantics, God/Yaweh/Other versions aren't all love. The Old Testament is BRUTAL. Anyways, not allowed on the forum so meh.
    I wouln´d know. it´s just what you hear all the time and its pretty ironic.
    Ur god loves u unconditionally, but as soon as u dont do retarded acts to `honour` him, ur going to hell.
    Unconditional my ass.

cutting off one of the most sensitive areas for no good reason is an insanity, so good for the Finns for at least doing something to stop it

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    It's to protect children who cannot decide for themselves. As an adult you can chop off your entire penis if you want, in fact for some people I find that would be an excellent thing.
    The article doesn't say it's only for children, can you link source where it says adults are allowed to decide for themselves?

Sounds good. There's no good reason to force this on children, and I think people can mutilate themselves all they like when they're an adult.

Deleted
    Good, maybe we can get the jews out of here now.

Infracted - please post constructively
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2014-04-13 at 01:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    I didn't understand your comment, are you saying male circumcision was chosen out of all bad things to prohibit?
    My comment was made considering that prohibiting adult circumcision is silly, because an adult has a more sense of things and the capability of making a choice on his own, while with a child, that choice is made for him and usually for reasons unrelated to health issues.

And how is adult circumcision comparable to other issues you mentioned?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I don't see any compelling state interest behind the ban.
    Fuck the kids, they shouldn't have a choice.

Deleted
    The article doesn't say it's only for children, can you link source where it says adults are allowed to decide for themselves?

doesnt say say anything about it, only banning or limiting, now limiting could mean only banning it in children. But I agree with you on this, no reason to ban it outright from adults. Though I do support banning it being done against infants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinali View Post
    Fuck the kids, they shouldn't have a choice.
    Wow that could be misinterpreted so hard. So very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    "Mutilation" is inherently subjective and as such I see no reason to use it as a basis for state intervention.
    You are right, someone has to defend my right to cut clits from little girls, as my religion demands, from intrusive and morally wrong states.
    Glad someone in here has some sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    My comment was made considering that prohibiting adult circumcision is silly, because an adult has a more sense of things and the capability of making a choice on his own, while with a child, that choice is made for him and usually for reasons unrelated to health issues.

And how is adult circumcision comparable to other issues you mentioned?
    I don't see where they say it's only for children. Do they propose to outlaw it entirely up until adult age (is it 18?) or is it completely illegal? For example adults are not allowed to do hard-drugs, even though you could argue it's silly to prohibit adults from doing things.

Deleted
    Let's just say I have some "insight" on the matter, since I work in healthcare in Finland.

The proposition is to ban circumcision until the person is an adult (18) and can legally decide for themselves. Even currently several hospitals refuse to perform it if it is done because of religious beliefs - for example ours.

Deleted
    After doing a little bit of googling, it seems that the article is at best misleading. A poll was done with the social and health department of the government (or something like that, I couldn't really find a proper translation.) by a media group, and around 80% of them wanted to outlaw it. But there aren't any laws yet.

Not that you should believe me anymore than the article, since I posted no cite's either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see where they say it's only for children. Do they propose to outlaw it entirely up until adult age (is it 18?) or is it completely illegal? For example adults are not allowed to do hard-drugs, even though you could argue it's silly to prohibit adults from doing things.
    But how is prohibiting adults from doing cocaine comparable to circumcision?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    But how is prohibiting adults from doing cocaine comparable to circumcision?
    You say circumcision is bad, so you're going to prohibit it. I'm reminded of how some scientific discoveries were considered bad at some point, and were prohibited.
    Not to say circumcision is equivalent to law of gravity, just that we got other guys censoring behavior now.

I haven't actually seen circumcision being "bad", so I think it's just anti-religion law.

Deleted
    I got my circumcision in my late teens and i can tell you that yes, it greatly reduces the amount of pleasure a man has during sex. (I did it because of medical reasons)
    Forcing this kind of thing on an infant is barbaric. Idgaf if the infant cant feel it or if it heals faster at that age, it's still mutilation of a body part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could this be any more of a sensationalist article? There is no link to the source legislation, nor any distinction between what is to be "banned" and not. The article itself doesn't even mention the cases where circumcision is done for strictly medical reasons like phimosis.

But, with respect to the "goals" of the legislation, it is clearly aimed at protecting new-borns (who in all cases of child circumcision, have no say in the matter) and not consenting adults who wish to be circumcised.

Deleted
    I haven't actually seen circumcision being "bad", so I think it's just anti-religion law.
    Actually it protects the child's freedom of choice over their own body.

Also the foreskin contains a vast amount of sensory nerves which radically changes the persons sexual ... I'll call it experience in the lack of a better word for it.

Deleted
    You say circumcision is bad, so you're going to prohibit it. I'm reminded of how some scientific discoveries were considered bad at some point, and were prohibited.
    Not to say circumcision is equivalent to law of gravity, just that we got other guys censoring behavior now.

You don't need to waste money on lotions if you got your skin intact. (Do circumcised people use lotions? I mean they do in the movies, so that's what I'm going from.)