Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I have a love-hate relationship with mechanics that targets one player that, if not handled right, very easily wipes the raid. Such as defile from LK or the bomb thing that knocked people up in TK.
    Mostly it's because it always seems to target the people that has the toughest time to grasp the mechanic out of all the players in the raid. It's stupid when it gets to the point that you have the kill as long as a few select players does not get targeted by it. But it always feels awesome when those bosses die after you've wiped countless times to said players getting targeted.

Amber Shaper's transformation also counts into this. Mostly since it's a vehicle thing that only targets one player at a time. Unlike Flame Leviathan in Ulduar where everyone had vehicles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unavoidable raid wide AoE.

Tank switch at X stacks, its monotonous and boring, now if they made it like it knocked you on the otherside of the room and you lose all aggro, thats fun, especially if its random, but 1.2.3 switch, 1.2.3 switch is boring as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Golforth View Post
    I'll go with vehicles/UI changes where every raid member can be "transformed" and has to read the abilities...it's annoying.
    I was a little unsure until I saw this, having to learn a new actionbar mid fight with all the things going on just sucks.

Also if you have a modified UI it might get messed up in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Hard enrages... After 10 min the raid dies! It's so absolute. I much rather have soft enrages like Gruuls stacking buffs.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Deleted
    I like all boss mechanics except hard enrages, prefer soft enrages so boss doesn't 1 shot whole raid type of enrage.
    Instead gets stronger and stronger or something like that

Dps check bosses are stupid

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Any mechanic where the loss can be laid squarely at the foot of one person not performing a very specific role/task, especially when that person is randomly chosen. An example would be Black Temple's Teron Gorefield (the trope codifier, in my view) and his Shadow of Death mini-game. Any mechanic that arbitrarily chooses a raid member and thrusts them into an unfamiliar role, and places the whole weight on the encounter on their shoulders. Takes away from an RL's ability to control the raid, and also introduces an element that can be neither predicted nor practiced without lots and lots and lots of wipes.
    I don't understand how people had a problem with gorefiend. It was 3 buttons and if you can read at an 6th grade level and understand basic game mechanics, you had time to look at the abilities, think for 2 seconds, and then do the encounter properly. That's assuming you don't look it up ahead of time, which basically just summed up that one button was frost nova, one was ice lance, and the last one was arcane explosion. I literally had time to figure it out while never doing it before and not only killed my ghosts but a few extra somebody else missed as well.

Seriously, although I RARELY got ghosted (not sure why) I never messed it up and I play a warrior, while I saw people who actually play mages mess it up despite it having the same abilities as their class. It wasn't difficult in the least. Also, somebody made a web-based game to practice that fight on, although fewer people probably knew about that.

I can understand the basic premise of what you're talking about, but I can't think of any encounters where it was a big deal. Gorefiend seems like a poor example because not only was that mechanic trivial to good players even when never seen before, the fight itself was laughably easy. The tank got trucked kinda hard until they geared up but that was about it.

As for the OT, I think the only thing that really bothers me is fights that have way too many mechanics going on at once, like Paragons. While paragons isn't that difficult of a fight there's way too much going on, too much to remember and watch out for and it's just a mess. I'd rather have a boss with 3-4 well designed mechanics than 20 brainless ones that mostly don't matter.
    Last edited by Uoyredrum; 2014-07-27 at 11:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Three dimensional movement.
    I feel like my problem with that one is the transparency of the effects make gauging distance to them feel a little off.

Knockbacks or MC for me I think. Tough call.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nox Drachen View Post
    Unavoidable raid wide AoE.
    Hah! Yes actually. As a healer definitely. Not something I thought of as a mechanic initially, but it definitely is.

Tanks probably feel very similarly about the use of debuffs to force a swap.

Deleted
    "Here, fight a load of adds while the boss is immune/unreachable."

Followed by anything that makes you have to control a "vehicle".

Quote Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
    Nazgrim HM logic: "Let's make the Heroic Shockwave that one-shots raid members the same color as the floor and fire on the walls. Oh and let's make it an add fight where player AOE spell effects cover up the floor to boot."
    I'm colour blind and I have no issue seeing the Shockwave on the floor, if people are using that as an excuse in your team, they're just playing badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
    Thok is still the worst design though. Doing in on HM now and I want to smash my head against a wall. Fucking bats.
    Same as before, the bats are not an issue at all if handled right. Just stun lock them.

On-Topic: Personally, as a Tank, it's the standard Tank Swap ... Sha of Pride as a slightly interesting take on it, but I quite liked Garalon as a Tank, having to position myself carefully with the other tank, be in a radius and such.

What I'd like to see is a mechanic where both Tanks took the same damage, much like Blood Queen and so both tanks still had to keep up their active mitigation going, rather then a lame DPS rotation.

The healing shields - Tortos HC and Malkorok

I really want to kill that guy who thought spamming heals around is fun for healer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukem View Post
    The healing shields - Tortos HC and Malkorok

I really want to kill that guy who thought spamming heals around is fun for healer
    Ok I have to admit this, really horrible feature

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I'm colour blind
    You can only see red? /cower

Last edited by mmoce30c2c354d; 2014-07-27 at 01:33 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The most horrible mechanic for me as a DK tank is definitely HM Immersius.
    Fuck whoever thought of the stacking debuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    The wind mechanic really blows. Also, vehicle boss fights.

Dorumu's maze had the worst graphics effect ever. Trying to see where the clear spot was amongst all the purple shit was just an exercise in frustration. Like trying to make players work out one of those stereoscopic 3d pictures while moving and casting.
    PvP is for those of lower intellect. Only someone with a low IQ would look at class imbalances, gear issues, racials, RNG, level advantages and number advantages and then claim that it was their skill was the main deciding factor in a battle. That's if they win. If they lose, the above will all of a sudden become relevant to them.

Unintuitive stuff, like certain void zones that kill / wipe you when you enter vs. void zones that kill / wipe you when you don't enter. It's like having two sorts of bottomless pits in a 2D game where one kills you and the other is just a connection to the next room while they can't be distinguished other than by knowing the result for each specific pit.

That's not good game design. It's not fair to the player. It takes away from intuitively reacting to something that's thrown at you and requires you to know fights without giving the player the chance to learn through experience. You know like, every void zone up to the point was evil. Next one isn't. Player dies because game changed the rules on the fly, without explaining. Results in frustration. Dumb game.

And raid-wide unavoidable AE. Great way of entertaining healers just because you ran out of ideas.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2014-07-27 at 01:49 PM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I'm colour blind and I have no issue seeing the Shockwave on the floor, if people are using that as an excuse in your team, they're just playing badly.
    Either you aren't color blind OR you have no clue what color blind is. If you are color blind (unless you are completely color blind), you see different colors than other people. It is highly possible YOU see the difference BECAUSE you are color blind.

---

Anyway, my least favorite raid mechanic is long transitions between phases, especially when you can't do anything during the phase transition, like heal up.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2014-07-27 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Either you aren't color blind OR you have no clue what color blind is. If you are color blind (unless you are completely color blind), you see different colors than other people. It is highly possible YOU see the difference BECAUSE you are color blind.
    Being Colour Blind is to have difficulty differentiating different colours from each other. Shades of Blue & Purple I can't see the difference of, the same with Green & Brown, and shades of Reds and such. I have a pretty bad version of it, and yet I still see that perfectly fine. The people are bad.
    Last edited by Hyve; 2014-07-27 at 02:56 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post

---

Anyway, my least favorite raid mechanic is long transitions between phases, especially when you can't do anything during the phase transition, like heal up.
    There are many different types of color blindness. And it's true that some types will make things that appear similar to people with normal vision highly contrasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    The wind mechanic really blows.
    I see what you did there.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"