Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    Greenland is actually pretty big. One third the size of austrialia. I'll take that. You can fit 3 texases in it. If we were comparia pandaria to madagascar then kalimdor would be India.
    Neither Greenland nor India are continents.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Continents lately have been following the same formula and it's getting noticeable.

- desert zone
    - mountain zone
    - forest zone
    - fields + plains zone
    - random "bad guy lives here" zone. Usually lava and spikes and nastiness.

Gorgrond, Dread Wastes, Uldum, Borean Tundra are your "desert zones"
    Spires, Kun'lai, Twilight Highlands and Storm Peaks are your "mountain zones"
    Talador, Jade Forest, Hyjal and Sholazar are your "forest" zones
    Nagrand, Vof4W, Dragonblight are your "field" zones
    Then there's Tanaan, Dread Wastes, Icecrown, Deepholme as the bad guy zones.

So in legion you have your mountain zone (high mountain) forest zone (Val'sharah) field zone (Azsuna) and bad guy zone (broken shore).
    You know what the worst part is, they even do it to other planets when it wasn't necessary to do so. Draenor should have been more swamp not less, it completely baffles me why they removed Zanger Marsh which was the only zone that represented what Draenor was supposed to look like (see WC2 and WC3) and made it into Northrend/Pandaria all over again. The broken isle is almost identical to Northrend:

High Mountain = Storm Peaks + Zul Drak (has Tauren town like Storm Peaks)
    Val'shara = Icecrown
    Azsuna = Sholazar Basin + Borean Tundra
    Stormheim = Grizzly Hills + Howling Fjord (has Vrykul town like Stormheim)
    Suramar = Crystalsong + Dragonblight Temple concept

Dalaran flying around

And the thing that annoys me is that some of the concepts don't even make sense, like the northern part of Pandaria is Cold, the southern part is tropical... only that means its hotter the closer you get to the south pole of Azeroth. The island is completely upside down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Considering it's about a third of the size of Kalimdor and just over half the size of Northrend that's highly unlikely. Additionally as I said in my previous post they should be pushing for world and land building on new worlds. With portals that can apparently pass through time and large amount of space as well as a fuctioning Exodar as a platform or even as a blueprint for Goblin and Gnome engineers (who have also been dabbling in space travel since Netherstorm), we have the means to travel between worlds so that Blizzard doesn't have to shoehorn in continents on Azeroth or revisit locales in their past form.
    I could go for that eventually we would run out of world space. I still feel for some reason we haven't meet the southern hemisphere of azeroth unless it's some how sitting on a giant seat warmer that's invisible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
    We couldn't fly, either.
    It's one solution to go about it, but we could have invisible walls at the border aligning with the mountain borders and the invisible wall ceiling would be shaped like a dome so you cant see it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    And the thing that annoys me is that some of the concepts don't even make sense, like the northern part of Pandaria is Cold, the southern part is tropical... only that means its hotter the closer you get to the south pole of Azeroth. The island is completely upside down.
    Azeroth has a different axial tilt, its South Pole is facing the sun :P

I could go for that eventually we would run out of world space. I still feel for some reason we haven't meet the southern hemisphere of azeroth unless it's some how sitting on a giant seat warmer that's invisible.

- - - Updated - - -

It's one solution to go about it, but we could have invisible walls at the border aligning with the mountain borders and the invisible wall ceiling would be shaped like a dome so you cant see it.

Its there, its just that Pandaria is upside down. Kun-Lai should be on the bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Kilnmaster View Post
    Azeroth has a different axial tilt, its South Pole is facing the sun :P
    If that was the case the majority of Lordaeron, Quel'thalas and north Kalimdor would be under snow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Kilnmaster View Post
    Neither Greenland nor India are continents.
    But much bigger then madagascar and iceland.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

But now we've gone full circle in a sense; this's how it went with classic wow where you just couldn't go there. There's nothing to see, anyway.

As a (not) developer, why would I put in time and effort into creating an environment that no one will have access to for years?
    As a (not) designer, what if over time, the narrative I want for (blocked off zone) changed so much that I have to ask the developers to redo the blocked off zone?

Theoretically, if Cataclysm never happened we'd still be whining about not being able to see Hyjal.
    And what if let's say, South Sea islands existed now, and we just couldn't access them? How would players feel knowing that all they can see of it is from datamined youtube videos?

And I'll ask again, how would you justify a game that, by it's design, is only 1/5th done in your scenario?

10+ Year Old Account
    Its there, its just that Pandaria is upside down. Kun-Lai should be on the bottom.
    Kun-lai being 'colder' is the result of higher elevation. See mount Everest, its based on it and even has a mountain peak named after it which is mount neverest.

Wha-huh? All of Pandaria is tropical to sub-tropic at best. The most northern portion of Pandaria is entirely tropical! Isle of Giants, hello?

If we're looking at Azeroth from an Earth-like stance, Pandaria would be Indonesia/Latin America location, close to Azeroth's equator. Azeroth's equator is likely on Pandaria, or if you think the planet is tinier than that along Stranglethorn, Tanaris and Silithus

http://i.imgur.com/tC48bBH.jpg
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2016-02-14 at 04:23 PM.

Kun-lai being 'colder' is the result of higher elevation. See mount Everest, its based on it and even has a mountain peak named after it which is mount neverest.
    So the low lying snow on the north coast near the water is due to elevation is it? No, the island is upside down.

The snow on "Mt Neverest" is because of elevation, the snow near the water has nothing to do with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Wha-huh? All of Pandaria is tropical to sub-tropic at best. The most northern portion of Pandaria is entirely tropical! Isle of Giants, hello?
    The whole area is an inconsistent mess, if you leave every other island where it is and flip Pandaria itself it makes much more sense. Not only from a geographical point of view, but the Krasarang Wilds PvP landing sites would actually be on the side closest to Stormwind/Orgrimmar.
    Last edited by TheDestinatus; 2016-02-14 at 04:23 PM.

So the low lying snow on the north coast near the water is due to elevation is it? No, the island is upside down.

The snow on "Mt Neverest" is because of elevation, the snow near the water has nothing to do with it.

- - - Updated - - -

The whole area is an inconsistent mess, if you leave every other island where it is and flip Pandaria itself it makes much more sense. Not only from a geographical point of view, but the Krasarang Wilds PvP landing sites would actually be on the side closest to Stormwind/Orgrimmar.
    How so? it makes fine sense.

- - - Updated - - -

"near the water" of Kun-lai looks like

10+ Year Old Account
    But now we've gone full circle in a sense; this's how it went with classic wow where you just couldn't go there. There's nothing to see, anyway.

As a (not) developer, why would I put in time and effort into creating an environment that no one will have access to for years?
    As a (not) designer, what if over time, the narrative I want for (blocked off zone) changed so much that I have to ask the developers to redo the blocked off zone?

Theoretically, if Cataclysm never happened we'd still be whining about not being able to see Hyjal.
    And what if let's say, South Sea islands existed now, and we just couldn't access them? How would players feel knowing that all they can see of it is from datamined youtube videos?

And I'll ask again, how would you justify a game that, by it's design, is only 1/5th done in your scenario?
    It would save you save you more time in making expansions making expansions more efficient. They could have released hyjal and uldum without having to redo the whole world They would have had more time making more content. And it sort of fits with blizzards idea bridging expansions when you expand from part of the continent to other parts of the continent which kind of fits the word expansion. The question falls flat. I'm not saying my idea is the best but its one solution there's more than one. This one just breaks the usual trend of expansions.

Edited

I believe this makes a continent 'feel' more like a continent as it should take you time to span to other parts of the continent especially when you're in constant war with factions rather it be mogu/scourge/twilightshammer/iron horde/etc.

Next edit

If this continent were fortified then there could be border npcs protecting a border from one part to the other parts of the continent until the next expansion comes out.
    Last edited by want my Slimjim; 2016-02-14 at 04:48 PM.

How so? it makes fine sense.

- - - Updated - - -

"near the water" of Kun-lai looks like

The snow around the Divine Bell platform is 100m from the water. Nice try though.

The snow around the Divine Bell platform is 100m from the water. Nice try though.
    That's just an effect from scaling down the land in MMOs. You're expected to believe each zone is 100s of miles longer. Azeroth isn't actually the size of Rhode Island by official lore.

And even if you refuse to believe that, then how would flipping it make more sense? You wouldn't achieve massive temperature change by flipping a continent 2 miles across. You either believe in the scale down and admit your fault, or refuse to believe it and explain away your claim that a 2 mile long continent observes massive changes in climate.

That's just an effect from scaling down the land in MMOs. You're expected to believe each zone is 100s of miles longer. Azeroth isn't actually the size of Rhode Island by official lore.

And even if you refuse to believe that, then how would flipping it make more sense? You wouldn't achieve massive temperature change by flipping a continent 2 miles across.
    You've suggested two completely different ideas, you can't says is hundreds of miles in 1 breath and 2 miles in another. The game is scaled down, we know that so we work with that premise. It doesn't change anything, geographically the main landmass is upside down. If it has snow that close to the water in game then even with up scaling that would place the north side of the continent closer to the south pole then Krasarang Wilds based on that snow.

You're suggesting the temperature goes from 30 degrees Celsius to below freezing in just a few hundred metres and ignores all the warm air that would come from the equator of the planet.
    Last edited by TheDestinatus; 2016-02-14 at 04:58 PM.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The question falls flat.
    I want to like this idea, but this idea falls flat by its definition.

They could have released hyjal and uldum
    Would players consider this as released if they can't see what's in it?

They would have had more time making more content.
    How is this so? They had to make the mega continents that players won't see but "know it's there." I can't see players feeling satisfied that *finally* devs are working on content that players can actually experience.

And it sort of fits with blizzards idea bridging expansions when you expand from part of the continent to other parts of the continent which kind of fits the word expansion.
    "Expansion" is jargon. I could talk about the "Wrath of the Lich King Addon" and probably wouldn't be questioned.

I believe this makes a continent 'feel' more like a continent as it should take you time to span to other parts of the continent
    But in your idea, you can't explore the other parts of the mega continent.

Continents lately have been following the same formula and it's getting noticeable.

- desert zone
    - mountain zone
    - forest zone
    - fields + plains zone
    - random "bad guy lives here" zone. Usually lava and spikes and nastiness.

Gorgrond, Dread Wastes, Uldum, Borean Tundra are your "desert zones"
    Spires, Kun'lai, Twilight Highlands and Storm Peaks are your "mountain zones"
    Talador, Jade Forest, Hyjal and Sholazar are your "forest" zones
    Nagrand, Vof4W, Dragonblight are your "field" zones
    Then there's Tanaan, Dread Wastes, Icecrown, Deepholme as the bad guy zones.

So in legion you have your mountain zone (high mountain) forest zone (Val'sharah) field zone (Azsuna) and bad guy zone (broken shore).
    To me those all have a lot of variety. People complain about anything I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to like this idea, but this idea falls flat by its definition.

Would players consider this as released if they can't see what's in it?

How is this so? They had to make the mega continents that players won't see but "know it's there." I can't see players feeling satisfied that *finally* devs are working on content that players can actually experience.

"Expansion" is jargon. I could talk about the "Wrath of the Lich King Addon" and probably wouldn't be questioned.

But in your idea, you can't explore the other parts of the mega continent.
    Let me respond back later when I'm on a computer. Right now I'm doing this on phone. I want to answer this one. Alot having to do with creating a sense of mystery. Back before cataclysm people used to wonder. Even trying to find ways of getting over which were lands of nothingness but still cool as hell and they made videos about it. For examples Thousand needles. Top of org, and uldum. The game is lacking mystery now as it used to back in vanilla kalimdor and eastern kingdoms this kind of mystery was more direct rather being indirectly like kultiras and other southseas islands
    Last edited by want my Slimjim; 2016-02-14 at 05:30 PM.

You've suggested two completely different ideas, you can't says is hundreds of miles in 1 breath and 2 miles in another. The game is scaled down, we know that so we work with that premise. It doesn't change anything, geographically the main landmass is upside down. If it has snow that close to the water in game then even with up scaling that would place the north side of the continent closer to the south pole then Krasarang Wilds based on that snow.

You're suggesting the temperature goes from 30 degrees Celsius to below freezing in just a few hundred metres and ignores all the warm air that would come from the equator of the planet.
    The second paragraphs poses the burden of proof to you. If you were to NOT agree with the scale down, then you thereby need to prove how it would be possible, in your eyes, how the continent would be flipped and make more sense if the continents size was as is.

Since you agree with the scale down, then you agree that the snow isn't actually "100m from the water" like you stated, but in reality could be upwards of a mile of coastal drift between the snows end and the waters edge.

So which is it?

What do you suggest then?
    ......Really? Here is what I'd do!

1. Make the expansion after legion about the old gods and the naga! Bring us Kul'tiras, Zandalar, Plunder isle and others, While you show us the unearthed 80% of azeroth yet to be descovered (like naja'tar and all of that)

2. Make the expansion after the naga one about the legion worlds and the great dark beyond, there we will go on spaceships and take out ALL of the legion worlds that are NOT argus while we work with the titans.

3. LASTLY MAKE THE ARGUS EXPANSION! There we will take out the legions main leader and finish sargeras in this ultimate battle of light and darkness.

Done, that's all you need to finish the WoW storyline....and those expansions will 100% have bigger terrain than Kalimdor and EK combined.