Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Old wow vs new wow

Why is there so much hatred from so many people towards old wow? Anytime someone says they like something about van/bc, they are immediately hit with a storm of "STFU YOU FOOL, TAKE YOUR ROSE TINTED GLASSES OFF, THE GAME SUCKED THEN AND ITS 10000% BETTER NOW. NO I DONT CARE IF THE GAME HAD 4 TIMES AS MANY PLAYERS THEN, IT SUCKED AND EVERYTHING YOU LIKE IS JUST BLIND NOSTALGIA"

I dont get how these people can blindly worship every design choice blizzard makes in new wow, yet hate on the same company for all the old wow design choices.

Personally I think these people are so much invested in the game and have such an emotional attachment to it that they compulsively need to defend it, as acknowledging its current flaws would somehow invalidate all the time they invested in it.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

Vanilla WoW for me is just a lot more fun, I think for a lot of people they hold anger because they didn't get to raid or had a hard time finding groups, but honestly if you were friendly, helped out others, joined a guild, and learned your class, it wasn't that hard. Nowadays people just use the word "nostalgia" but on *that* server, you know which one, half the people didn't even play on vanilla. So how can that be nostalgia if they didn't actually play the game back then? Almost everyone universally agrees it's better than what's on retail too.

Deleted
    Because they never played vanilla wow but they envy the ones who did.

Cause it is a fact? Tho, if Blizzard stopped producing new content, I'd pick my content from far the past, probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they don't want to admit that they are playing an inferior product with no social interaction and a less immersive world.

It's because of all the idiots that are like "omg vanilla/BC was the bestest ever!" It wasn't, it was just new. In terms of gameplay quality and actual time spent doing fun things the game is in a much better place over the past few years than it ever was in the early days. Vanilla was awesome because it was all brand new and we were all exploring but a lot of the systems in the game were really unrefined and it was a massive grind fest.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's because of some extremists who say "vanilla was the best, everything else is pure uber trash". That attracts the OTHER extremists, who say "Everything current that Blizzard does is zomgawesome". Personally I fluctuate towards MoP if I was to say "which wow is better" but it's my opinion. It was good for me, it wasn't good for some other players.

Life continues.

Deleted
    Well, I joined just after TBC was released, so obviously I did not play Vanilla. But I still remember those days.
    Technically the game is much better now, but I miss 2 major ingredients.

First, I liked the community more in the old days. There were plenty of a-holes, retards and idiots in those days as well, but there were at least just as much people who were nice and were willing to help or at least cooporate. I am sure that some of them are stil around, but they seem to be hiding under a rock right now, because at first glance at least 90% of the current player base does not appear to be willing to help out anyone. Example: if a player in a dungeon on any level is undergeared (for levelling that means not full heirlooms, for mythic that means < ilvl 730) then he will either not be invited or be kicked at first chance.

Second, I like/love to work for progress and get a feel of satisfaction for it. The current game hardly offers that anymore. PERHAPS in raiding, but the rest of the game simply does not have it anymore. The levelling is so easy and fast that it is impossible to take it seriously anymore. Once max level you can go to Tanaan and your garrison and get geared without breaking a sweat. It takes time, but it does not take effort. LFR is a perfect example of the same issue: it requires no effort, just time.
    I can talk hours hours on the subject, but I won't.

The game is not bad, but yeah, I remember my TBC days fondly, with nostalgia.

Because people get old and whiny.

And people enjoy the nostalgia feeling.

people tend to see everything negative said about things they like as a personal insult.

I never understood this hate towards old WoW either. From a technical standpoint its inferior to the current game, but it doesn't feel outdated enough that its unplayable or anything. There are quite some QoL improvements that went by the past 10 years, but when I play vanilla those improvements aren't big enough for me to not enjoy the game. I'm enjoying the hell out of vanilla for its questing and being out in the open world with other players, I only log in to retail to do garrisons and old mount farming.

My bet is that most people here didn't even play during vanilla, or they did but played it all wrong so all they have is and memories and its easier to thrash on it. The games questing experience was harder back then, thats for sure. Or/and they are so heavily invested into the game that anything new Blizzard does gets praised, even if it is something bad. Its easy to call out ''rose tinted glasses'' and ''nostalgia'' to the ones who enjoy vanilla WoW, but I'd MUCH rather play that then retail who imo has been dumbed down way to bad for me to enjoy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    Anytime someone says they like something about van/bc, they are immediately hit with a storm of "STFU YOU FOOL, TAKE YOUR ROSE TINTED GLASSES OFF, THE GAME SUCKED THEN AND ITS 10000% BETTER NOW. NO I DONT CARE IF THE GAME HAD 4 TIMES AS MANY PLAYERS THEN, IT SUCKED AND EVERYTHING YOU LIKE IS JUST BLIND NOSTALGIA"
    Some people are too aggressive, sure, but most of the time those guys who praise the old WoW don't know what they're talking about and that understandably can be annoying. Like the guy from a couple of days ago who made that thread saying "Old talent system was sooo better and we had so much choice and variety" and other BS like that.

Apparently a lot of people think Garrison Tables are better content then what the old school days offered, believe it or not.

I don't see any "new WoW". Taking stuff from other games and putting them here doesn't make things new.
    People now don't play WoW because current developers aren't better than the old ones. Story telling ain't better.. hmm sorry there isn't any story.
    Quests are boring.
    Raids are boring.
    Designs are bad.
    Open world is empty and not fun.
    Villains aren't charismatic enough, they all look like toy creatures.
    Game lost its epic feeling.
    And most important thing: servers lost their community. Thanks to LFG system.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Almost everyone universally agrees it's better than what's on retail too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant008 View Post
    Because they never played vanilla wow but they envy the ones who did.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewallofsleep View Post
    Because they don't want to admit that they are playing an inferior product with no social interaction and a less immersive world.
    The very first posts... and we already have posters taunting those with a different opinion. Amazing. Can't people try to have a discussion without trying to rile up others?

You guys DO know you can have a civil discussion about why you like Vanilla WoW without taunting and inciting others with a different opinion to come post in your thread, which would then inevitably descend into a spiral of ad-hominems, opinions stated as facts, and the OP's original idea may get lost amidst all the insults.

Don't do that. Don't taunt others, and don't state your opinions as fact. It's ok if you think the mechanics and class balance were better back in vanilla, but don't state as fact that they were indeed better in vanilla. First of all, it's a fallacy you're doing there, and second, you're just taunting others with a different opinion come and post in the thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    I don't see any "new WoW". Taking stuff from other games and putting them here doesn't make things new.
    People now don't play WoW because current developers aren't better than the old ones. Story telling ain't better.. hmm sorry there isn't any story.
    Quests are boring.
    Raids are boring.
    Funny that someone came to prove my point right after my post. Look at this guy, claiming that quests, raids and storytelling are now worse than before. How can you take these guys seriously? You can't.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    Why is there so much hatred from so many people towards old wow? Anytime someone says they like something about van/bc, they are immediately hit with a storm of "STFU YOU FOOL, TAKE YOUR ROSE TINTED GLASSES OFF, THE GAME SUCKED THEN AND ITS 10000% BETTER NOW. NO I DONT CARE IF THE GAME HAD 4 TIMES AS MANY PLAYERS THEN, IT SUCKED AND EVERYTHING YOU LIKE IS JUST BLIND NOSTALGIA"

I dont get how these people can blindly worship every design choice blizzard makes in new wow, yet hate on the same company for all the old wow design choices.

Personally I think these people are so much invested in the game and have such an emotional attachment to it that they compulsively need to defend it, as acknowledging its current flaws would somehow invalidate all the time they invested in it.
    I don't think that one expansion was much better than the other. It's all preferences. I do find it funny that every expansion, people say that it's bad and that the previous expansion was the best ever.

I liked arena better in BC, because it was more about position and swaps. Now someone can overextend, be out of position but just pop a defensive and survive. Then you keep training that guy and kill him before his defensive is up again. It has become more about CD management than position and swaps. At the same time, I would not like to still play BC. Games need to evolve in order to survive.
    /Zetsumei

Deleted
    Well the new WoW will eventually die at this rate because months and months of no content is lost time and money, since WoW relies on people to refer to their friends to come play with them.

I'm pretty sure you just defined fanboy. Now just know you never take their opinions seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Haekke View Post
    Funny that someone came to prove my point right after my post. Look at this guy, claiming that quests, raids and storytelling are now worse than before. How can you take these guys seriously? You can't.
    Numbers say i am right. So it is not important how you take me.