Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The you're a hero thing only makes sense if you played that character from vanilla. If I make a character now they never defeated nefarian, they never defeated kael'thas and illidan, they never defeated the Lich King, Deathwing or Garrosh. They're just a nob that stumbled their way through a confusing timeline.

I really despise this sudden "chosen one" thing, because it makes no sense in the actual game. None at all. I also don't like my lil character to be stronger than Thrall, or any other established hero. It feels weird and wrong. It goes against the way we've learned to play WoW, the way we've been encouraged to shape the world around our character. Suddenly we're a superhero in world filled with thousands of other superheroes. If they had done it from the beginning, like FFXIV or SWOTR did then that would have been a different matter entierly.

But they didn't. So my rookie Blood Knight bloodelf will now suddenly run around with freaking Ashrbringer and be the leader of Argent Dawn. It makes zero sense. Especially since all the other paladins will also run around with Ashrbringer and be the leader of Argent Dawn.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't see what the problem is. FFXIV does a similar thing. You don't become the leader of your faction, but you are the legendary "Warrior of Light". In Skyrim, you are the legendary Dragonborn. What's the issue here? You effectively earn your title in WOW, by starting out as a simple adventurer, then conquering the Burning Legion (BC), the Lich King (WOTLK), Deathwing (Cata), Garrosh and the Sha (MOP), and saving Draenor from Gul'dan and Archimonde (WOD). What's wrong with getting some recognition for our actions? We would be major lore characters if we weren't players.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2016-03-21 at 04:29 PM.

Guys this isnt Tumblr, really get lost with your "anti-entitlement" thoughts, you are talking like a sore loser / wanker.

After 11years of deeds, i pretend to be reconize as a demigod/ubermensch.

the only "fix" they could do is to reconize also the rest of my party/raid that helped me killing <random boss> so all the "glory" will be shared with other peeps.

Also let's point out :

1) We fight Arthas, after TIRION GOT ICE-BLOCKED like a dumbo, taking him to 10% and then TIRION GOT THE FUCKING IDEA TO USE HUMAN RACIAL and LAST HIT THE BOSS /clap /nice

2) In MOP WE HAD TO FIX THE SHIT our LEADER DID RELEASING the SHA /clap /no really n1 guys

3) IN WOD we saved Yrel (wod intro quest) and Grom (in HFC) and in HFC they face Archimonde with US, not alone because they are so bad that need US to face an Eredar WE -HEROES- already beat in TBC

So really, give me a break, I A- WE ARE fucking L E G E N D A R Y HEROES.
    Last edited by Ehuehuecopter; 2016-03-21 at 11:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehuehuecopter View Post
    Guys this isnt Tumblr, really get lost with your "anti-entitlement" thoughts, you are talking like a sore loser / wanker.

After 11years of deeds, i pretend to be reconize as a demigod/ubermensch.

the only "fix" they could do is to reconize also the rest of my party/raid that helped me killing <random boss> so all the "glory" will be shared with other peeps.

Also let's point out :

1) We fight Arthas, after TIRION GOT ICE-BLOCKED like a dumbo, taking him to 10% and then TIRION GOT THE FUCKING IDEA TO USE HUMAN RACIAL and LAST HIT THE BOSS /clap /nice

2) In MOP WE HAD TO FIX THE SHIT our LEADER DID RELEASING the SHA /clap /no really n1 guys

3) IN WOD we saved Yrel (wod intro quest) and Grom (in HFC) and in HFC they face Archimonde with US, not alone because they are so bad that need US to face an Eredar WE -HEROES- already beat in TBC

So really, give me a break, I A- WE ARE fucking L E G E N D A R Y HEROES.
    Not if you make a character now, though. Then they did non of those things. How do they fix that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxilot View Post
    The you're a hero thing only makes sense if you played that character from vanilla. If I make a character now they never defeated nefarian, they never defeated kael'thas and illidan, they never defeated the Lich King, Deathwing or Garrosh. They're just a nob that stumbled their way through a confusing timeline.

I really despise this sudden "chosen one" thing, because it makes no sense in the actual game. None at all. I also don't like my lil character to be stronger than Thrall, or any other established hero. It feels weird and wrong. It goes against the way we've learned to play WoW, the way we've been encouraged to shape the world around our character. Suddenly we're a superhero in world filled with thousands of other superheroes. If they had done it from the beginning, like FFXIV or SWOTR did then that would have been a different matter entierly.

But they didn't. So my rookie Blood Knight bloodelf will now suddenly run around with freaking Ashrbringer and be the leader of Argent Dawn. It makes zero sense. Especially since all the other paladins will also run around with Ashrbringer and be the leader of Argent Dawn.
    Think you meant a rookie pally :-P

Any way, I like the current model of story telling. I follow the quests, as I am the sole player, like a single player RPG. For raids, I play it like I have the help of one from each class. My point is that I seperate story from gameplay. When I read quest text, see lore being played out, I don't see all the other players, just me.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not if you make a character now, though. Then they did non of those things. How do they fix that?
    There's nothing to fix? Lorewise, you did do that and whether this is reflected in your actual boss kills is irrelevant. There is no separate story for people who prefer PvP, pet battles or playing auction house. It all progresses the same and trying to design a different version for all possible variants would be completely impossible.

The only exception are Demon Hunters and Death Knights - and the latter are still recognized as former heroes who achieved great things before falling.

Deleted
    I don't like the special snowflake stuff either, but i really can't see how it can be any other way. They can either keep re-hashing and retconning old characters and lore, or finish it off in Legion and go forward with us being part of what will become the future lore. New stories, new characters etc.

Open the other side of Azeroth up and create something totally new in which we are the future legendary protagonists.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the "plateu" should've happened in Warlords or something like that. We should've achieved the leader of our class/order when we get to lvl 100 and then we would level up in later expantions with a new leveling system to represent that we got to the max where we could level (ie lvl 100) and now we're just getting less and less "more" power, like what BDO online does with a soft cap

7+ Year Old Account
    You fix it by not nickpicking absolutely everything. Understanding is a first. You must understand that you can't create content for every single person in the game.
    You people only make things more difficult.

Although one way is do it similar like FFXIV(thank god they don't force you to go through coil) and FORCE you to go through every single lore quest that involves killing every single boss in the game, so you are up to speed.
    Ever since the title "Hand of A'dal" was given back in TBC you were already seeing the "legendary" status ramping up.

It's just as bad story telling that you are a "chosen one" than story telling that after a player has done so many deeds in the past 11 years that he's still being ignored and not treated as more than a hero.

Its a natural course of things that the more you intervene as an adventurer to save the people, the closer you get to them. Eventually getting gifted titles and positions. The thing blizzard needs is to create quests accordingly to our status. No more doing menial chores but actually doing impactful things.
    Last edited by Allenseiei; 2016-03-21 at 01:18 PM.

Deleted
    You are way to late. About 12 years to late.
    Your character is like that in every game, you always defy the odds and accomplish the impossible. That's what games are for, to be able to do something you normaly can't.
    In WoWs case you may have already killed a god during Vanilla.

The only thing that changed is that all your accomplishments are finally recognized by the gameworld.

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    I think the "plateu" should've happened in Warlords or something like that. We should've achieved the leader of our class/order when we get to lvl 100 and then we would level up in later expantions with a new leveling system to represent that we got to the max where we could level (ie lvl 100) and now we're just getting less and less "more" power, like what BDO online does with a soft cap
    So we do the same as always and just give it a different name and more work?!
    Last edited by mmocdca0ffe102; 2016-03-21 at 01:15 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thete View Post
    easy, we get caught molesting a goat and have all our titles and honours removed from us.
    dead

10/10

most players don't give a flying freck about the lore. They only see ! or ! and ? and XP and loot.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly our "chosen one" status has to do with leading our respective specs (Chosen Affliction Warlock for example) in the war against the Legion. We are given the special artifact weapon which grants us incredibly special powers. I imagine during the final epic battle against whatever old god/titan Blizzard has lined up for us, we will get some RP where we give up/sacrifice our artifact weapons/related powers to seal away or destroy said super baddie.

After that we won't be the chosen ones any longer and will be merely heroes once again.
    Last edited by Scathbais; 2016-03-21 at 01:56 PM.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    But where FFXIV prevails, and WoD stumbled, is that you aren't given a desk job. You're a problem-solver with the ear of nearly every influential leader in Eorzea, and adored by the common people even after the events of Before the Fall, but you operate almost entirely outside the chain of command even as you rise through the ranks of the Grand Company you enlisted with--where the chain of command is more a formality than anything, as your superior officers know you're leagues above them in terms of skill and all they've got on you is seniority. Except for that one jackass at the Wolves' Den, but hey, every army has That Guy.
    I found the Bringer of Light hero worship more nauseating than even the WoW-hero focus.

The degree to which everybody holds you in reverence is insane in FFXIV, whether its matters of diplomacy, military strategy or even your charm.
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity

Quote Originally Posted by Thete View Post
    Easy, we get caught molesting a goat and have all our titles and honours removed from us.
    ahahaha. i approve

Quote Originally Posted by Orcadin Storm-WAAAGH View Post
    How to fix WoW's "Chosen One" Syndrome after Legion.

Are you trying to fix how to be a hero? simple, everyone should step up

in real life, everyone should step forward and play thier role to the best of their ability, be good at the thing they were born for - then everyone would be a hero, and no one would feel threatened or lesser because of Chosen one syndrome.

Jokes aside, seriously its fine, it's like that in real life, you get "chosen ones" when people step up to their destiny - the problem may simply be WoW not writing its versions that well if you don't like it.. or maybe too much complaining by what others write poisons your view.

10+ Year Old Account
    I fixed it by unsubbing. Permanently.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    There's nothing to fix? Lorewise, you did do that and whether this is reflected in your actual boss kills is irrelevant. There is no separate story for people who prefer PvP, pet battles or playing auction house. It all progresses the same and trying to design a different version for all possible variants would be completely impossible.

The only exception are Demon Hunters and Death Knights - and the latter are still recognized as former heroes who achieved great things before falling.
    Death Knights return to their faction and do great things (helping take down Arthas). Demon Hunters...well it's explained in the Demon Hunter starting zone why you become the class leader.

agreed here,

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    I don't see what the problem is. FFXIV does a similar thing. You don't become the leader of your faction, but you are the legendary "Warrior of Light". In Skyrim, you are the legendary Dragonborn. What's the issue here? You effectively earn your title in WOW, by starting out as a simple adventurer, then conquering the Burning Legion (BC), the Lich King (WOTLK), Deathwing (Cata), Garrosh and the Sha (MOP), and saving Draenor from Gul'dan and Archimonde (WOD). What's wrong with getting some recognition for our actions? We would be major lore characters if we weren't players.
    agreed. it's the way the game is set up.. sadly, which is really bad for story telling proper, and boy the lore and good storytelling has suffered, rather than grow to world class, it's become all tangled, no priority on it, if there was catac would not have gone live with Wotlk and TBC still jumbled up.

watching FFXIV and SWTOR - that's how you weave the player into an important character - regardless of their faction - but in wow it's the GROUP not the individual that's the hero - it's always a group of adventurers - like a highly trained team - rather than one person.. maybe we're not accounting for htat.

In FFXIV and SWTOR - it's the individual, you don't share the limelight with another player/classs either even though you team up with them and group with them - on group qquests you are always leading a band or group of people or a team of which you are the commander and director - even though you're in a group of other players.

No thank you, this isn't "an issue" nor does it need "to be fixed".

An MMORPG is still "an RPG" (See that part of MMORPG?) The Massively Multiplayer Online part doesn't refer to "Nobody ever does anything actually...because what if somebody did that quest before you? Or does it after you? Nope, nothing ever actually really happens. And it's online." (Because that would be shit), it simply means "This an online RPG, where there are other players present. You can team up with them if you want, but YOU DON'T HAVE TOO"

So how do we deal with the "but everyone is the hero" thing? Easy. Is that character you control yours? Right that character has done everything. That other character with you, is it yours? No? Then it's not you, it's an NPC, it hasn't done what you have. EASY.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom