Thread: GMO tech

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

GMO tech

Are you against GMO technology? If so, why?

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

There is nothing wrong with GMO's, it's just scare-mongering from people who don't understand and who fear something they don't know.

GMO ^

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    We've been modifying crops for hundreds of thousands of years.

I have no idea why gene splicing is somehow "worse" than the "non GMO" way of modifying plants - i.e. seed mutagensis.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Playing God is Taboo, even amongst Atheists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything we eat is a product of genetic modification. For example, Carrot's natural colour is purple, they were changed to orange to make them more consumer friendly.

15+ Year Old Account
    How dare we exhibit the audacity of using our god-given intelligence in order to grow enough food so that human beings need neither starve or destroy the livelihood of other creatures to prevent the aforementioned. God wanted those people to experience a slow and agonizing demise so that they may feel His love!
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Playing God is Taboo, even amongst Atheists.
    Thankfully, we're not playing god, and are just using simple genetics.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    Everything we eat is a product of genetic modification. For example, Carrot's natural colour is purple, they were changed to orange to make them more consumer friendly.
    I think they were changed because the last name of the new ruling family in Spain...or France...or some such place happened to be orange. So, some people bred the carrots to be orange as a very punny gift.

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    I think they were changed because the last name of the new ruling family in Spain...or France...or some such place happened to be orange. So, some people bred the carrots to be orange as a very punny gift.
    It was The Netherlands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bring back purple carrots! That sounds fantastic!

mmmmmmmm
    Last edited by Axphism; 2016-03-24 at 02:56 AM.

I'm against the way GMO patenting works. I think GMO tech itself is important. I think that food modification is going to be important to us someday getting off this rock.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually there were probably a variety of colors. As far back as the 11th century there were at least red and yellow carrots. White ones too. Its probably more likely actually that yellow carrots were selectively bred towards orange.

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/history.html

While there was variety in colors, one thing they all had in common, they were kind of crap to eat until farmers had their way through selective breeding.

Same thing with most of our modern veggies though.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    I'm against the way GMO patenting works. I think GMO tech itself is important. I think that food modification is going to be important to us someday getting off this rock.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually there were probably a variety of colors. As far back as the 11th century there were at least red and yellow carrots. White ones too. Its probably more likely actually that yellow carrots were selectively bred towards orange.

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/history.html

While there was variety in colors, one thing they all had in common, they were kind of crap to eat until farmers had their way through selective breeding.

Same thing with most of our modern veggies though.
    All food is patented in some way if they have been modified. Red delicious apples are patented, for example, and they are not genetically modified (not transgenically modified)

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    It's already important to us just in terms of staying on this rock with enough food to keep everyone alive and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Verzen View Post
    All food is patented in some way if they have been modified. Red delicious apples are patented, for example, and they are not genetically modified (not transgenically modified)
    Apple patents aren't a big problem (yet) because selective breeding generally doesn't result in a species objectively superior enough to make all other species irrelevant. You're not going to see a red delicious monopoly of all apple sales.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Yes, but not because I think they're unsafe to eat. I'm more concerned about the fitness of crops, as GMOs tend to have extremely little genetic diversity. I just see it as setting the world up for crop disease/pest based disasters.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    It was The Netherlands.
    Thank you. It was bugging me, but not nearly enough for me to actually wiki it.

Deleted
    90% of all food grown today is already GMO... This isnt a new thing...

Either by selective breeding or done in a lab, its the same thing.
    GMO "fear" is mostly an american thing too btw. Mostly due to its terrible education system.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillstream View Post
    90% of all food grown today is already GMO... This isnt a new thing...

Either by selective breeding or done in a lab, its the same thing.
    GMO "fear" is mostly an american thing too btw. Mostly due to its terrible education system.
    Hey! We have awesome schools and great health care!... for the wealthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course not. Essentially all the food we eat nowadays is, to some extent, GMO. Much better to live his way, than to run around forests, picking berries.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.