Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    a good chunk of the u.s. and austrailia has very restrictive data caps. the u.s. is actually going backwards in regards to quality of internet providers.
    Curious that. I live in Ireland, and I've got unlimited data usage on my 4G mobile broadband [tops at 55mbps though, in comparison to fixed line 200mb-1GB connections which I wish I could get... but alas I live in the countryside, so mobile is the best I can get].

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Curious that. I live in Ireland, and I've got unlimited data usage on my 4G mobile broadband [tops at 55mbps though, in comparison to fixed line 200mb-1GB connections which I wish I could get... but alas I live in the countryside, so mobile is the best I can get].
    the u.s. even has data caps on mobile.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I get free cable TV in my apartment (included in the rent and I can't remove it) and I've watched it 2 times in over a year and a half. Any of the TV shows I watch are streamed online.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Millions still watch TV. Personally I do not watch it a lot to the extent of being a couch potato, but there are still some shows I like to watch and I have my favorite channels. What irks me is I am paying for a ton of channels I never watch. Would be nice if we could pay so much for each channel than the stupid package deals which most suck. Would be the most fair system.

That's called a la carte and will probably never happen. And it's not really the providers doing either - it's the networks who refuse to let their seldom watched channel go extinct when nobody buys it.

Everyone would buy the popular channels and the rest would be left to rot. It's also a way for the providers to milk more money since they put the popular channels in higher priced packages.

Capitalism at its finest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Grandma and my dad use it to watch their shows. Though dad only watches BBC and ITV, whereas grandma prefers Syfy and anything with crime dramas etc...

I personally don't bother much with TV and neither does my mother.

Yup, TV is garbage, but I love to watch the Latin American televangelist channels. There's good, unintended comedy contained there.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    a good chunk of the u.s. and austrailia has very restrictive data caps. the u.s. is actually going backwards in regards to quality of internet providers.
    Which are businesses just being greedy. Data transfer rates have no impact on company overhead unless it directly affects the infrastructures limitations. I have been with some small service providers which don't even cap your data.

I havn't watched TV in over 8 years.

with things like Putlocker available I watch everything from my Command Center.

Paying for Cable
    Paying for premium channels
    having a TV for whatever the fuck reason
    having a blue ray player
    having DVR
    sitting through commercials.

It's all a waste. its a relic.

I will never own a Television again.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2016-03-27 at 04:35 PM.

I don't watch "cable TV" that's for damn sure. netflix, Amazon prime, and youtube have rendered me completely unable to tolerate commercial breaks. and since all of those are on my PS4 I still have plenty of use for my set.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cut the cord like 3 or 4 years ago and now my tv viewing consists of Netflix, Amazon, and iTunes. I just watch the show I want. No more channel surfing or commercials or waiting for a particular time for the show to come on. Good times.

10+ Year Old Account
    people download shows alot more than they let on. tv is dieing just like newspapers.

it is a brave new world of entertainment and the ad companies cannot catch up.
    Hi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ESPG-1 View Post
    Who even watches TV anymore?
    Considering it's a golden age of television, with plenty of shows written with such a high standard of quality as to be superior to most films, I do.

It's particularly perplexing since even you, yourself, admit that you still watch television. It doesn't fucking matter if you do it on Netflix, DVD, or even through piracy, they're still television shows made for television. Which you undoubtedly watch on a television/monitor. So whatever elitist attitude you have is just... amazingly idiotic by every standard of the term.
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

Old people I guess. I haven't had cable in years. AT&T tries to bundle it with their Internet service and I specifically ask for whatever package doesn't include cable.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    Considering it's a golden age of television, with plenty of shows written with such a high standard of quality as to be superior to most films, I do.

It's particularly perplexing since even you, yourself, admit that you still watch television. It doesn't fucking matter if you do it on Netflix, DVD, or even through piracy, they're still television shows made for television. Which you undoubtedly watch on a television/monitor. So whatever elitist attitude you have is just... amazingly idiotic by every standard of the term.
    Watching TV and watching TV Series is not the same. Watching TV series on TV is not the same as watching it online. Anyone who tried both would know that.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    All 12 hospital dramas, 20 criminal dramas, 50 "laugh-out-loud" low budget comedies with a laugh track pre-recorded in. No niche television stations keep up with their regularly scheduled programs of the 90s and 00s (animal planet has hillbilly mudders wtf)

So there's what? Walking Dead? I mean if you're into that show okay, what else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    people download shows alot more than they let on. tv is dieing just like newspapers.

it is a brave new world of entertainment and the ad companies cannot catch up.
    how is tv dying if cable subscriptions still going up?

stop listening to the internet echo chamber, most people still buy tv

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Watching TV and watching TV Series is not the same. Watching TV series on TV is not the same as watching it online. Anyone who tried both would know that.
    i have a dvr, havent watched live tv in years except for doctor who and occasionally walking dead, its the same thing except it takes a couple seconds to skip commercials
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i have a dvr, havent watched live tv in years except for doctor who and occasionally walking dead, its the same thing except it takes a couple seconds to skip commercials
    And a dvr, seems like completely different experience, apart from the moments you watch the actual show. I don't know about you, but even skip-able commercials are outrageous by their mere presence. Watching online is a godsend.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    And you'd be wrong, and just as ignorant as the original poster. You're still watching television. It doesn't matter if you're watching it live or not, you're fucking watching television.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    So there's what? Walking Dead? I mean if you're into that show okay, what else?
    Just from the last few years, and purely off the top of my head:

Walking Dead
    Game of Thrones
    Mad Men
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    The Americans
    Mr. Robot
    Fargo
    Justified
    Jessica Jones
    Daredevil
    Orange is the New Black
    Empire
    Parks and Recreation
    Archer
    House of Cards
    Silicon Valley
    Sherlock
    Transparent
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

and The League

Just to name a few. And yes, they're all television shows. No matter how much you want to claim otherwise in some cases just so you can be an elitist prick.
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Unless we want to call all episodic visual media "television," which seems exceedingly silly, it seems like a worthwhile distinction to differentiate between the presentation style of television, which a fixed and rigid schedule, versus things like Netflix or torrenting.
    You can do whatever you want. You'll still be wrong, but that never stopped you before.

(Still totally respect you and your opinion, by the way.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't even own a TV. Don't really need it.