Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I have an issue with clothes, I was taught to pronounce it as [kloʊðz], but many peeps from US like to correct me, cuz they say [kloʊz], similar to close. Struggle is real ((

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    During a recent pathfinder game, the topic came up that I was pronouncing certain words incorrectly. So, what are people familiar with for these words?
    "Ichor" - bloodlike icky stuff, ew

"Chitin" - piece of an exoskeleton, bone of a cockroach

No need to use fancy words.

- - - Updated - - -

GIF - G stands for Graphics, how do we pronounce graphics? I don't know about y'all but I pronounce it as pictures. So gif should be pronounces as pif.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    I'd like to just leave this here: http://ncf.idallen.com/english.html

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Then you would say it with a hard G, as the word G is standing for is said as such.
    That would be my conclusion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Not always the case. For example, UI (user interface) is pronounced as yoo-eye, yet GUI (graphical user interface) is goo-ee.
    I personally don't say "goo-ee". Like "Gif" or "Jif", it sounds silly.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2016-03-27 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hypofyse View Post
    I'd like to just leave this here: http://ncf.idallen.com/english.html
    First time I saw it, damn, I wonder how many native speakers can read this poem w/o mistakes.

So how do y'all say Treant? Tree-Ant? Tray-Ant? Trent?
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetharl View Post
    So how do y'all say Treant? Tree-Ant? Tray-Ant? Trent?
    It's not a real word, so you should ask the creators
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'm pretty sure either is correct, depending on what type of English you are trying to mirror.
    Don't you mean "type of English you are trying to myrrh"

Since it came up it is a pet hate of mine. "Squirrel"and "mirror" are TWO SYLLABLE words!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Ichor is pronounced, "i-kor". Your proposed pronunciation is so close as to be irrelevant.
    Chitin is pronounced, "kai-ten" or "kai-tin". The latter is just a different emphasis. "Chit"-in is incorrect.

Whomever told you your pronunciation was incorrectly may be mishearing an accent, enunciation or can not read the English language. The words are pronounced exactly as I wrote above.
    The particular problem with both words is that neither are English. They're both Greek.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    First time I saw it, damn, I wonder how many native speakers can read this poem w/o mistakes.
    The ironie is that I as a "foreigner" don't find it that hard. You just have to actually read the words.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I pronounce it "kif".
    Give. Well, almost.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Curse this chitinous shell!" at 1:20, so chit-in.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard Illuminati View Post
    Worcestershire is always a fun one.
    Wus-ter-sher.

Near me is the village of Quernmore, which we pronounce Kwormer

eye core and chee tin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    "Curse this chitinous shell!" at 1:20, so chit-in.
    This is wrong. I don't even understand how Blizzard could botch that, let alone a voice-actor. One would think pronouncing words properly would be pretty high on a VA's list of job skills.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Advertisement.

Ad-ver-tis-ment or Adver-tais-ment.

How do you pronounce "bezier" as in bezier curve?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

One pronunciation that always irked me is the word shaman. When people pronounce it "shay-mun". Yes, it is a listed pronunciation, but it just grates on my damn ears. "Shah-mun" is how you say it dammit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly Shaman is a superhero, half man half Sha

Chitin is pronounced Kai-tin, Ichor is pronounced either eye-core or eye-ker, but not ick-or.

Both are pronounced those ways due to country of origin of their word parts. The other ways are just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Bez - ee - ay

Its basically a french word.
    This guy I was listening too on a podcast pronounced it "BEE ZER". He said "bee zer" curve. But yeah I always thought it should sound a lot like brassere

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland