Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    But I do know people who are religious, and how much religion enhances their life and helps guide them during troubled times. I have seen people suffering from depression turn everything around and end up quite content and happy due to it. Not every religions person is a nut job. A large majority are just ordinary people, no better or worse than you, who believe in something greater than themselves. I know, a shocking concept.

I am very sorry Christianity threatens you so much.
    I've seen just as many people targeted and attacked by Christianity. People who had their self-esteem torn to shreds, to make them more vulnerable and accepting of the ideas which the Christians would coincidentally offer as means to make their lives better.

I've also seen Christians target those who are troubled, not just because they need help, but because they're open to conversion. Yes, the depressed person who turns their life around is better for it, but people at such times are vulnerable, easy to persuade... yes, the people get the help, but the Christians get more than just the good feeling of having helped someone.

I do charity work, and help others. My faith never enters the equation unless the other person brings it up, and even then I only discuss if they are genuinely interested. But evangelism is part of Christianity, which means that missions which do charity work won't just bring it up, they'll actively try to convert those they help.

I do not fault people for having faith, or for using their faith to guide them to troubled times. I fault them when they try to convert others, when they try to take their beliefs and turn them into law (thereby forcing their beliefs onto all of us), or use their faith as a reason to treat others poorly... nothing I've said is based on their belief in a God, but based on how they act and what I have personally seen them do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    can we post some eligible bachelors?
    I will leave that to you.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    No, that's just reality. You dont stop ethnic groups from hating each other by forced authority. That just makes the preasured by authority side hate the other side even more. It's wiser to back off and look somewhere else.
    Uh...I'm talking about equal legal rights, not equal respect. I could care less if someone hates me. I care a whole lot if they can legally discriminate against me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    I will leave that to you.
    @Trassk we need some pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beruis View Post
    So the baker doesn't want to do the Lesbian wedding. Guess what, if there is enough Lesbian/Gay weddings someone will open a new bakery and take the business of the Homosexual weddings and the people that don't like the other Bakery. Stop forcing people to go against their faith.
    And if it is someone's sincerely held religious belief that women are cattle and black people are animals? What if the owner is the only baker in town? What if they own the only grocery store in town?

We've already fought these battles, it's just a shame the regressives didn't learn their lesson the first time around history.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I can practically taste the irony.

Beyond that it's hard to take someone seriously when they are advocating for mass harm but don't know the difference between their, there and they're.
    Please tell me about this "mass harm".

What is actually happening that is so horrible and tragic?

10+ Year Old Account
    No conspiracy. I just think it is heavily related to psychology and how a person develops along with their environments. From a scientific standpoint, a straight child is the "correct" arrangement, so to speak, since they will seek to reproduce and continue the species.

As stated in many posts, would make "Gay Pride" actually mean something. But hey, if they want to be victims, that is their fancy.
    Don't pretend to wield science as a justification for your biases. Humans are bisexual by nature. Homosexuality is an intrinsic part of our evolutionary origins.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    This isn't correct.

Particularly in highly social creatures a portion of the population being gay helps the population, as they contribute without adding more offspring to care for.
    And not only that, the percentage of gay individuals is about the same percentage-wise in every animal species on the planet. 1) It slightly reduces male-on-male violence (due to competition for mates), and 2) has individuals that contribute to society without producing offspring, helping to keep the species from breeding out of control.

If it weren't beneficial to the survival of a species it would've been rejected by natural selection a long time ago, and it wouldn't exist in every species on the planet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    And if it is someone's sincerely held religious belief that women are cattle and black people are animals? What if the owner is the only baker in town? What if they own the only grocery store in town?

We've already fought these battles, it's just a shame the regressives didn't learn their lesson the first time around history.
    Dude fucking read the end of my post, if it's HARMING people then you go against faith. Don't try and bait with your shitty quote. It's not causing physical harm to anyone for a Lesbian or Gay couple to be turned away.
    I watched Bible Black for the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Well I was reffering to 1st world because each time I hear about any form of opression I hear it from 1st world people. Kind of a knee jerk reaction, I'll admit to that.
    Well, yes. Oppression in (many) third world countries is really awful where people's lives are at stake. And that's horrible. And, unfortunately, out of our direct control.

That doesn't mean there isn't oppression still in first world countries. Yes, it's not of the same magnitude, but it is in our control (at least for the respective country's citizens). That's why I never felt "but but but gays in Uganda are killed" was ever particularly valid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please tell me about this "mass harm".

What is actually happening that is so horrible and tragic?
    Setting precedent where discrimination against homosexuals is ok because reasons.

These bills are a waste of time and money...its hilarious that republicans deem themselves so "fiscally responsible" yet keep wasting so much time on a battle that's already been lost. Here's a simple tip for religious crazies in the future. You live in a capitalist society where people with money have ALL the power. And the CEO of the richest company in the world is gay. What does that tell you? You already lost this battle....move on.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Honestly, how often do you think that happens? Certainly not enough to attempt to pass these ridiculous laws.
    Probably more often than you think.

But I suppose the argument is moot. Crybullies won this day.

10+ Year Old Account
    From a scientific standpoint, a straight child is the "correct" arrangement, so to speak, since they will seek to reproduce and continue the species.
    Your understanding of history, biology and anthropology are childish at best. It would be absolutely adorable if you were the only one who believed these things. Sadly there are more people like you out there, less and less each day to be sure but enough to cause significant harm in the meantime.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Setting precedent where discrimination against homosexuals is ok because reasons.
    Actually, precedent where discrimination against ANYONE your religion doesn't like it ok. Gay people. Muslims. Christians of other denominations than your own. Non-christians in general. Women. Black people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget to bake the f@cken cake, bigot, or I will sue for "emotional damage" and ruin your business.

Yep.
    Public businesses can't legally discriminate. Sorry if that upsets you.

That being said, emotional damage lawsuits a vast majority of time are a bunch of BS.

It is not against anyone's religion to bake a cake. Period. Any arguments beyond that is simply, once again, people confusing forcing other people to conform to their beliefs with discrimination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably more often than you think.

No one is crying, no one is bullying. The fact that you call others bullies is why we all assume you play victim. Disagreeing with your point does not make us bullies.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it's time for you to take your wittle toys and go home then

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    If you can't serve the public, don't open a public business.
    Again, read my post. Already went over this. Some people don't want to shop at a place that serves Homosexuals. So they go to Rob's Christian Bakery. Some people want their Lesbian wedding catered. So they go to Tammy's Lesbian Bakery. It's a free market, stop abusing it to fit an agenda.
    I watched Bible Black for the story.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Don't pretend to wield science as a justification for your biases. Humans are bisexual by nature. Homosexuality is an intrinsic part of our evolutionary origins.
    Speaking of weird science...