Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Why do Orgrim and Durotan wanna work with the humans in the Warcraft movie

This movie is about the First War, right? The one where the orcs came storming through the Dark Portal in a demon fueled rage and murdered every human on sight? Why the hell are two of the top dogs in the army contemplating a treaty with the humans?

10+ Year Old Account
    I fear the movie is going to be all about the power of friendship and how orcs and humans can solve their problem if they're together and all that kumbaya crap. I hope I'm wrong and I'll still watch the movie, but I'm lowering my expectations.

Or maybe I'm just too jaded after Batman V Superman...

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Read a book, Durotan was not a "Top Dog" of any Orc army. This is main Universe were talking about here not Warlords of Draenor nonsense. Durotan was one of the only or chieftains and refused to let his people drink of the blood of manaroth and as such was exiled but Gul'Dan who did not trust him. Orgrim Doomhammer was from another clan and was the second in command to Blackhand and he did not like black hand, Durotan and Orgrim were friends from childhood and even met and befriended Velen, until they ultimatley betrayed him by helping the orcs wipe out Telar and eventually Shattrath. Its all in the book Rise of the Horde by Christie Golden, its pretty good you should read it, its basically a prequel to this movie and will answer your questions.

Deleted
    The orcs are not one simple baseline race. They have multiple tribes. Durotan for example is from the frostwolf clan and was against creating warlocks and in the long run the dark portal and invasion. (although he had to protect his tribe by posing as if he wasn't) The horde at that point already consisted of the majority of the orcs.
    Furthermore, he managaed to convince Orgrim sometime during the invasion, that ner'zhul and gul'dan (the shadow council as a whole in fact) were conspiring with the demons(?). (unsure whether it was with the demons, but definitely bad stuff)

They are blending the stories of Warcraft 1 and 2 so this can be confusing if you look at it from the traditional lore point of view.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people who play Horde characters would be outraged at the prospect of being treated as the 'bad guys'.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    I fear the movie is going to be all about the power of friendship and how orcs and humans can solve their problem if they're together and all that kumbaya crap.
    For the most part, that's actually exactly what the whole Warcraft franchise (well, at least WoW, but still a recurrent theme in books/ overall lore) is about on a big scale, if you actually pay attention to it =P
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-03-29 at 03:55 PM.

Deleted
    They want to paint the orcs as noble savages, they aren't going to follow the original lore but Metzen's 'revised' (bastardized) version. If it was to follow the original 'Warcraft orcs and humans' this movie would probably be an 18 with ASoIaF levels of murder and mayhem, there would be no sympathy for the orcs at all. Metzen quite literally has a hand in directing the movie so it comes as no surprise.

Esp when they talk about how apparently 'sheaths' for swords don't exist in this universe and other non-sensical drivel.. despite the fact they do and should logically exist in any medieval setting including WC as evidenced (though they aren't shown on WoW models) no small amount of times by older novels (The Last Guardian, Lord of the Clans etc) and clearly portrayed in the artwork. Some of which was drawn by Metzen himself.. Unless I'm mistaken.

That's a different tangent all together but my point is I think it goes with out saying there's a lot of pants on head retarded decisions regarding this movie. Common sense has been completely thrown out the window. Don't expect the WC you knew and loved from the RTS days.
    Last edited by mmoce9fe1e7ffd; 2016-03-29 at 04:43 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AgeOldGnomette View Post
    They want to paint the orcs as noble savages, they aren't going to follow the original lore but Metzen's 'revised' (bastardized) version. If it was to follow the original 'Warcraft orcs and humans' this movie would probably be an 18 with ASoIaF levels of murder and mayhem, there would be no sympathy for the orcs at all. Metzen quite literally has a hand in directing the movie so it comes as no surprise.

Esp when they talk about how apparently 'sheaths' for swords don't exist in this universe and other non-sensical drivel.. despite the fact they do and should logically exist in any medieval setting including WC as evidenced (though they aren't shown on WoW models) no small amount of times by older novels (The Last Guardian, Lord of the Clans etc) and clearly portrayed in the artwork. Some of which was drawn by Metzen himself.. Unless I'm mistaken.

That's a different tangent all together but my point is I think it goes with out saying there's a lot of pants on head retarded decisions regarding this movie. Common sense has been completely thrown out the window. Don't expect the WC you knew and loved from the RTS days.
    You do realize that most of the lore from wc1 has been retconned even before the movie came out,right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcadin Storm-WAAAGH View Post
    You do realize that most of the lore from wc1 has been retconned even before the movie came out,right?
    The incredibly dark tone pehaps and the really, really outdated telling of the story (The old lore which was essentially WH stuff) but strictly speaking the 'The Last Guardian' is the cannon retelling and is what I'm referring to. The warcraft movie only very loosely follows that story and incorporates a lot of 'revised' lore, big changes like the Frostwolf clan working along side the Alliance.

Lots of other details I consider crucial to the overarching theme and plot, i.e. Stormwind Keep and city being represented by the current in game version even though that makes little to no sense. Lothar being a man in his early twenties when he's meant to be in his fifties.. And so on. I can't say much with out giving major spoilers away, suffice to say it deviates from the official lore far to much in a hamfisted attempt to get Metzen's orc fetish across.
    Last edited by mmoce9fe1e7ffd; 2016-03-30 at 01:09 AM.

I've honestly had to completely ignore the movie so far because I grew up on warcraft I and have played all of blizzard's games from that point on and even with the fleshing out of the story with the old books the movie is just going wayyyyyy too far off the beaten path. It's not even remotely the same story and has very little to do with the actual canon besides important lore figures, the location, setting, and a few other things. I just try to calm myself by saying it's an alternate universe or some BS.
    Last edited by rasako; 2016-03-30 at 01:05 AM.

The movie is an alternate continuity, same as how the Marvel Cinematic Universe isn't the same as its source comic book storylines, or how every damn Batman/Spiderman origin story don't take place in the same universe.

It's telling the basic story of Warcraft I but it's not a movie adaptation of the games/books we've had so far. It's an entirely separate deal. It's stand alone, with some references, so non-gamers can enjoy it.

TL;DR They aren't following the official cannon book and actively retconning. What we're getting is World of Warcraft the movie and not 'Warcraft' the movie.
    You're right, they're not following the official lore. We've known for a long time now that the Warcraft movie is in its own continuity, completely separate from the video games. And while I'm glad you've decided to take this opportunity to express your hatred for Christ Metzen, Duncan Jones is ultimately the director.

Frankly, I don't think a movie that follows the story of the First War as we know it would work well anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    The movie is an alternate continuity, same as how the Marvel Cinematic Universe isn't the same as its source comic book storylines, or how every damn Batman/Spiderman origin story don't take place in the same universe.

It's telling the basic story of Warcraft I but it's not a movie adaptation of the games/books we've had so far. It's an entirely separate deal. It's stand alone, with some references, so non-gamers can enjoy it.
    I guess I haven't been following the movie very closely because I haven't heard that it was supposed to be in its own continuity. I can live with that now, although that means if it becomes a trilogy I'll have to cringe at all the changes since I still play warcraft III's campaign from time to time just to enjoy the story. I remember seeing the trailer for the first time and immediately thinking "how the hell is arthas supposed to siege Dalaran if it's already flying?" lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    You're right, they're not following the official lore. We've known for a long time now that the Warcraft movie is in its own continuity, completely separate from the video games. And while I'm glad you've decided to take this opportunity to express your hatred for Christ Metzen, Duncan Jones is ultimately the director.

Frankly, I don't think a movie that follows the story of the First War as we know it would work well anyways.
    Ultimately yes, that doesn't change the fact however that he's working closely with Metzen and being advised by him in regards to the storytelling.

I don't 'hate' Metzen I can't say I know him. He seems nice enough of a person, very laid back and down to earth.. However I'm not going to pretend he isn't sweet on the orcs or a Horde fanboy. Anyone that follows Warcraft closely knows that. If you're going to imply I hate him for pointing out the obvious and answering the OP then I have to wonder if you're being purposefully obtuse.

English is a language I'm rusty with (I haven't spoken it for a few years) so what I tend to say is blunt and to the point. I don't mean anything by it.
    Last edited by mmoce9fe1e7ffd; 2016-03-30 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Because people who play Horde characters would be outraged at the prospect of being treated as the 'bad guys'.
    Are you kidding me? No. Horde is the bad guys.. I play Horde.. We're the bad guys and we love being the bad guys.

Deleted
    The movie is a retelling of the story in an alternate timeline. This has all been confirmed by blizzard already. Take it with a grain of salt as it is not depicting wow lore at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    I fear the movie is going to be all about the power of friendship and how orcs and humans can solve their problem if they're together and all that kumbaya crap. I hope I'm wrong and I'll still watch the movie, but I'm lowering my expectations.

Or maybe I'm just too jaded after Batman V Superman...
    It is about that, but everyone dies

Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic4LIFE View Post
    Are you kidding me? No. Horde is the bad guys.. I play Horde.. We're the bad guys and we love being the bad guys.
    No.. they aren't. I specifically play Horde because I see them as the band of misfit good guys and the alliance as a bunch of racist douchebags.

Ultimately yes, that doesn't change the fact however that he's working closely with Metzen and being advised by him in regards to the storytelling.

I don't 'hate' Metzen I can't say I know him. He seems nice enough of a person, very laid back and down to earth.. However I'm not going to pretend he isn't sweet on the orcs or a Horde fanboy. Anyone that follows Warcraft closely knows that. If you're going to imply I hate him for pointing out the obvious and answering the OP then I have to wonder if you're being purposefully obtuse.

English is a language I'm rusty with (I haven't spoken it for a few years) so what I tend to say is blunt and to the point. I don't mean anything by it.
    If you're going to single-handedly blame Metzen for the direction the movie has taken, I'm not too worried about making exaggerations of my own. Duncan Jones was being advised by Chris Metzen, but you're giving the director too little credit if you don't think he had a hand to play in Durotan and Orgrim being 'good guys'. Without them, you may as well portray the whole movie from the perspective of the Alliance.