Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is it to late for a new player to start playing FF14.

I'm a long time Final Fantasy fan and I really like the way square is progressing FF14. I have read everything on the Lodestone page and really enjoy the lore of FF14. What I am wondering is if I start playing now how much have I missed. How long would it take me to get a character to max level and have completed all the story. Even better how long would it take me to get to where a normal player is in the game progression wise (if even possible). What account items have I missed that I can't get anymore, including mounts and pets. Please help me to understand where I need to go from here if I started playing the game for the Very first time.

I know people that recently started playing wow, and that game has been out for over a decade. So... it is never too late.

I've been at this mmo for 2 days, gotten my 1st character and class to level 15 easily in a few hours. Level cap is 60 for character, but lots of jobs, and classes to level.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Deleted
    no it's not I started a new character a while ago and I could play. Sometimes finding group for duties at lower levels can take a while, but you have plenty.. plenty of things to do while waiting, so even longer queues are not too much of a pain.

Everything group related scales and there are daily bonuses for max level players do do content beginners would be doing. You cant really get left behind any more than when you reach max being whatever the current gear tier is behind the curve but thats it. Its really just a multiplayer jrpg really. Theres always stuff to do and theres always rewards regardless of level to incentivise people of all levels to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    To add to the others this may be one of the best times with the mentor system(special chat channel for new players to get help/advice) and the novice training halls(free gear at 15 and a 30% bonus xp ring)

As for missed items maybe some boarding but most items get put up on the molestation for real money if it was an event item.

Minions(pets) are usually what 5 or so

Full cosmetic gear set WITH hair is 15

Without hair is like 5-8

Accessories abd helms 3 bucks

Mounts are 10 the multi character sleeping aside

Weddings are free-40 dollars(one item for both of you)

And you don't need ANY of it

A few missed things might be promo code items like a Cait sith minion or a moogle cap.

But overall you can get most anything

It's never too late, this is in fact a great time to join!

As for your questions, you haven't missed anything, the world and its characters will change for you as you progress through the main story quests. The only thing you have missed is experiencing progression through the older raids, as they have either been nerfed or you'll simply out-level/out-gear them, however you can try to run them as sync later on. Equally seasonal events tend to be slightly different every year and they give different rewards. The MSQ will guide you through most of the content and players are running them all the time for different rewards.

How long will it take you to be max lvl largely depends on how much time you are willing to put, theoretically you could be max lvl and finished the 3.2 MSQ in about a week, realistically it could take much more. At the same time how long will it take you to get up to speed depends on your time, since a new patch was released 4 weeks ago, you can gear up fairly quickly (say a couple of days if you've got money/time) and get into a raiding group. If you are not into raiding then as soon as you hit 60 you'll be able to do a fairly large portion of the content, any gated content will simply unlock the more your ilvl increases.

The only account items you have missed are 1.0 items, tons of people missed those since the game wasn't very popular or good during 1.0, past seasonal events can be purchased at the mogstation - Just download the game, enjoy it and have fun, the content patches in this game are quite frequent and each patch brings new methods to catch up with the end-game so you don't have to stress about it right now.

I started out with the 2 week trial almost a month ago and have been playing ever since. I like a lot of the systems in this game and the environments are absolutely beautiful. Decent story as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just started playing a few days ago. The scenery and music are both beautiful, as to be expected in a FF game. I recently found out the differences between Classes & Jobs, and that has kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I'd feel better if everything was "viable" at end game, but instead only Jobs are viable (WAR/PLD/WHM etc not THM, CNJ, MRD, etc.). Overall I'm enjoying myself enough, but there are already a ton of level 60s of every Job running around. So you can't really have a "am I too late" attitude, because that can be discouraging and should be irrelevant. As for the story, atleast the ARR storyline...I give it a B- in early game.

I'm just plugging along on my free trial for now. I havn't really decided whether to take the plunge or not. But it's not to late, it's never too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxiis View Post
    I just started playing a few days ago. The scenery and music are both beautiful, as to be expected in a FF game. I recently found out the differences between Classes & Jobs, and that has kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I'd feel better if everything was "viable" at end game, but instead only Jobs are viable (WAR/PLD/WHM etc not THM, CNJ, MRD, etc.). Overall I'm enjoying myself enough, but there are already a ton of level 60s of every Job running around. So you can't really have a "am I too late" attitude, because that can be discouraging and should be irrelevant. As for the story, atleast the ARR storyline...I give it a B- in early game.

I'm just plugging along on my free trial for now. I havn't really decided whether to take the plunge or not. But it's not to late, it's never too late.
    As for classes and jobs, dont let it rub you the wrong way.

What is a paladin, a gladiator with 10 paladin abilities.
    What is a warrior, a marauder with 10 warrior abilities.

Its not that they aren't viable, its that they aren't complete. It is meant to feel like a progression growing into the job. Dont look at it as a negative. It really isn't. The class you chose, doesn't change when you put on a job, it just gets stronger.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to second what everyone else have been saying: This is a great time to start! Square has made a special effort to make the game as beginner friendly as possible, so it is obvious they really want to see a new wave of players coming in. The community, both on EU and NA (I play both regions) are very active. New content patches are rolling out at a relatively quick pace which has two effects 1. it feels daunting to try and catch up, 2. you know the game isn't going to grow stale and people will leave.

Heavensward is an awesome expansion. I haven't played it finished yet though but both the story and the content overall is better than ARR.

Deleted
    I've started on the game this week, and it's been great so far.
    I'm leveling a CNJ (healer) so queues for dungeons/duties etc where really fast so far, but when i was leveling arcanist (requirement for white mage at CNJ lvl 30), which is DPS, i also didn't have to wait for more than 3 min on the duty queue. So it seems like there is a ton of people still doing the lower lvl stuff.
    I've also seen a boatload of new players running around (recognized by that little green sprout in front of your name), and this is on Zodiark, which is one of the smaller servers i believe.

Never too late. As someone who started last year and has been subbed a total of 8ish months, the only "old" content I haven't tried is most of the ARR raids and max level dungeons, but that's primarily due to either laziness and/or having so many other things I want to do in game. Still have yet to touch crafting (mainly due to lack of inventory space for gear, heh).

10+ Year Old Account
    I started playing 4 days ago and I'm having a blast! The feeling of discovering something from scratch is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloral View Post
    I started playing 4 days ago and I'm having a blast! The feeling of discovering something from scratch is amazing.

Now once I buy and download ARR from psn store can I set up payments and such after I download or do I have to go to Mogstone site and do everything?

10+ Year Old Account
    You can acces the Mogstation with your PS4 browser or you can go on your pc if you want

Deleted
    I'm a longtime MMO player, you can look at my sig and have an estimate of how long i've played and how many different ones.
    But, in all honestly, FF14 is the most polished and refrshing MMO i have played thus far. It took all the best innovations from 20 years of MMO history and put them together in one shining, polished hell of a game.
    I am only lvl 27 on my main class so far, and lvl 15 on my first secondary class, haven't even unlocked half of all the possibilities yet and yet i stand here, totally overwhelmed by the magnitude of the game and the amount of fun things to do ingame.

Can i recommend this game to other people? Hell yes, if you like mmo's, this is by a long mile the greatest experience you can get at the moment.
    Imho it trumps other games like WoW and GW2 by a long margin, and makes those games look like comparing a porsche to a fiat panda. Sure the fiat panda will drive and get you from A to B, but driving that porsche is an experience like no other.

Come and join, and let's be newbs together again!

Definitely not too late, i started 2 weeks ago. I'm lvl 46 Black mage atm and i'm enjoying this game alot. You'll be pleased to hear, as well as i noticed, that the game is PACKED with people. It makes wow feel so dead though i haven't been playing it for aeons anyway. The job system, levelling, everything is somehow very meaningful part of the game and that has been a joy to notice. My only regret is i didn't give it chance earlier on. Game on bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxiis View Post

Jobs are basically extensions of classes. Paladin has every and all abilities gladiator gets, and then some.

That being said, if someone were to level up without doing the quests/prereqs to obtain their job stone...yeah, they are doing it wrong. I'm not sure if they have tutorials or something that beats it into people's heads to get after their job stone asap (I don't recall such a thing when I leveled up as thaumaturge to become black mage).

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Jobs are basically extensions of classes. Paladin has every and all abilities gladiator gets, and then some.
    I know for a fact theres some people that swear the extra cross skills is a fair trade off for not using your job crystal in things like large scale pvp but i always felt it was less FFV's jobs but more FFTA style jobs where the job is the reward for mastering the basics of your class.

I mean even story wise you get brought into the Jobs like Ninja or Paladin because you were some street level scrub with knives or sword and board that gut gud enough to join the big leagues. WHich i find cool even though i hope some future jobs you just run into in the world or can find them like secrets or something.

Or maybe involve crafting classes, like THM and GSM for PUP for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantombeard View Post
    I'm a long time Final Fantasy fan
    This immediately answers your question.

You'll enjoy XIV as you would any Final Fantasy game, just with occasional need for groups. If you take your time and don't get to end game for a looooong time, you'll still enjoy the MSQ and exploring other facets of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    As for missed items maybe some boarding but most items get put up on the molestation for real money if it was an event item.
    So was this intentional or a hilarious auto correct?