Page 1 of 2
LastLast

High Speed ISP in London

Hey,

So I will be moving to London in a week and the flat I rented is brand new and doesn't have any Internet providers yet so I'm looking for the most reliable one since I have no idea what ISP is actually good in the UK ( they all seem kind of shit).

What I'm looking for :
    High speed ( I download and stream a lot). At least 50mbs
    Unlimited Bandwidth and Data
    Within 40 GBP a month.

Thanks,
    Alex.

Edit : The area code is W4
    Last edited by axell; 2016-03-31 at 09:13 AM.

Deleted
    I don't recommend Virgin Media for 2 reasons

1. They traffic manage the upload. If you go over a certain amount during peak hours or weekends your internet is cut by 65% for 2hours. Dependant on stream settings this cap can be hit in 1-2 hours.

2. From checking google, they appear to have speed/capacity issues in W4.

One simple google check https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=W4...hrome&ie=UTF-8

You could try putting your postcode into http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ to see if you can get FTTC which is available as 38 down 10 up or 76 down 20 up. The 38/10 isn't usually unlimited data. The 76/20 is.

Also it might be worth looking to see if Hyperoptic is available, Hyperoptic sell a up to 1000/1000 full fibre connection.
    Last edited by mmoc9bef67a441; 2016-03-29 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antenora View Post
    I don't recommend Virgin Media for 2 reasons

1. They traffic manage the upload. If you go over a certain amount during peak hours or weekends your internet is cut by 65% for 2hours. Dependant on stream settings this cap can be hit in 1-2 hours.

2. From checking google, they appear to have speed/capacity issues in W4.

One simple google check https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=W4...hrome&ie=UTF-8

You could try putting your postcode into http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ to see if you can get FTTC which is available as 38 down 10 up or 76 down 20 up. The 38/10 isn't usually unlimited data. The 76/20 is.

Also it might be worth looking to see if Hyperoptic is available, Hyperoptic sell a up to 1000/1000 full fibre connection.
    Thanks for the warning. I checked hyperoptic and it's not available sadly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by axell View Post
    Thanks for the warning. I checked hyperoptic and it's not available sadly.
    No problem.

76/20 from BT is £32.50 a month. You could probably get it cheaper from TalkTalk/Vodafone/Zen etc.

Talk-talk seem to be the best value at the moment for fibre-optic and you can get a neat offer for a DVR and TV subscription too. I'm getting 43mb/s from them, but I live in a small town, well up North so it might be better in that London.

Previously I was with Sky but they would disconnect at regular times every evening, usually for 5-10 minutes but occasionally for an hour or more. Help forums showed a number of other users had the same problem.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    The 38/10 isn't usually unlimited data. The 76/20 is.
    Depends on company. I'm on 40/10 with Sky and it is unlimited.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Talk-talk seem to be the best value at the moment for fibre-optic and you can get a neat offer for a DVR and TV subscription too. I'm getting 43mb/s from them, but I live in a small town, well up North so it might be better in that London.

Previously I was with Sky but they would disconnect at regular times every evening, usually for 5-10 minutes but occasionally for an hour or more. Help forums showed a number of other users had the same problem.
    A lot of BT FTTC stuff is highly dependent on the exchange rather than the company you're with. I'm with Sky atm and have had no issues at all the the 4+ years I've been with them. My sister is with Talk-Talk and she's had massive issues with them. We both live in same town.

I'm getting 43mb/s from them, but I live in a small town, well up North so it might be better in that London.
    My 76/20 FTTC is actually around 28/6 with the best ISP after trying three due to it being FTTC and the whole (large) town having awful cabling.

Hopefully London is better, but if i've learned anything about internet it's that you should expect inconsistencies and to check around with people very nearby that use similar setups if possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post
    My 76/20 FTTC is actually around 28/6 with the best ISP after trying three due to it being FTTC and the whole (large) town having awful cabling.

Hopefully London is better, but if i've learned anything about internet it's that you should expect inconsistencies and to check around with people very nearby that use similar setups if possible.
    Yeah that's because of how far you are from the FTTC Cabinet.

FTTC works differently to ADSL. ADSL is how far you are from the BT Exchange. FTTC is how far you are from the cabinet.

The closer to the cabinet you are, The faster speeds you will get.

If you get 28 on a 76 service, I'd guess you're probably around a mile from the cabinet.

Luckily for me though, I live in a non oversubscribed Virgin Media area.
    Last edited by mmoc9bef67a441; 2016-03-30 at 12:31 PM.

Deleted
    Doesnt matter who you go with, your going to eventually run in to problems. All the ISP in the UK are crap. /Fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    You would think that London should have 1Gig internet but NOOOOO, it's a fucking London.
    I get this for £40 inc landline a month with free BT Sport

Deleted
    My 2 cents here, get Virgin Fibre, they have the new AC wireless routers, really stable so far, and was the best value by far.

N16 postcode: 51mb/down , 9mb/up - 30£ a month, no data cap and i am a heavy user.

But look up the best deal you want, i only have the internet as i stream netflix and co., so a standalone TV service for me is useless. Regards

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aredeth View Post
    My 2 cents here, get Virgin Fibre, they have the new AC wireless routers, really stable so far, and was the best value by far.

N16 postcode: 51mb/down , 9mb/up - 30£ a month, no data cap and i am a heavy user.

But look up the best deal you want, i only have the internet as i stream netflix and co., so a standalone TV service for me is useless. Regards
    He won't get those speeds when he lives in an area suffering from what VM calls "contention".

I pay £42.75 a month for the following -

Last edited by mmoc9bef67a441; 2016-03-30 at 06:37 PM.

it's the UK we have 3rd world cables. you won't find amazing internet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    Yeah, ISP's are trying to squeeze every lil bit of life out of those copper and coax cables... meanwhile other countries have full fibre.

Hey Thanks for the replies. I think I will go for virgin at 100mbs or 200mbs since by looking around there is no ISP that's significantly more reliable than the other and if i get the 200mbs one even if they do throttle my download speed temporarily it will still be high enough.

Yeah that's because of how far you are from the FTTC Cabinet.

FTTC works differently to ADSL. ADSL is how far you are from the BT Exchange. FTTC is how far you are from the cabinet.

The closer to the cabinet you are, The faster speeds you will get.

If you get 28 on a 76 service, I'd guess you're probably around a mile from the cabinet.

Luckily for me though, I live in a non oversubscribed Virgin Media area.
    I'm actually much closer to it but they are using some aluminium wiring
    Last edited by Svisalith; 2016-04-01 at 12:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    Deplorable how they get away with calling 100mb's "high speed." Meanwhile in Korea 1,000 MB's is the norm with 100,000 MB's allegedly in the works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently paying £10 per month

Deleted
    Seen loads saying they find virgin good, yet I & guildies have had nothing but problems with them (from varying UK places).
    First time I got fibre was with virgin & it worked great. Only down once in early hours (I worked lates, so was awake & online ).

Moved few times, back in almost same area & wow, virgin turned to crap. Everything from constant slow/down times (shocking as the junction is right opposite my place lol). Final time was down for five days (so were others in area) so I called several times, got told by someone barely speaking English that "it must be your computer" Erm, my computer blocks whole streets wifi too? failol.

Laughable that I used my mobile 4G recently & was getting better speeds than virgin fibre haha. Also hell of a lot cheaper!.

Can`t wait for ultrafibreoptic in this area soon, £21.70. Kaching! \o/

10+ Year Old Account
    Just upgraded to Virgins VIVID 200, seems to be fine so far and usually I don't have any throttling. I live down in Essex (Southend) and rarely have any issues. Compared to BT and other competitors Virgin smashes everyone out the water in this area.

200Mb/s downstream, 12.5Mb/s upstream
    -K