Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'll eat anything, I don't care.

I feel like a lot of this hand wringing over animal cruelty is just sort of a rationalization so we can have our cake and eat it too. Well, meat cake at any rate. Sure a quick death is certainly more humane than a long agonizing one, but when these animals are not only raised from birth solely to be eaten, but selectively bred to serve as food with no regard for their own survivability, then whether or not you prolong their suffering is a bit of a trivial point. If you want to make to make the slavery analogy, then yeah, it's probably better if you didn't whip your slaves, but by far the greater crime against humanity here is owning people as property in the first place, whether or not you treat them well is kind of irrelevant at that point.

I'm not a vegan, I eat meat all the time and because I enjoy it, I try not to think about the animals or try to humanize them in any way because it's too depressing. This means I don't think much about how they are slaughtered either, and while I like to think that it was done in the cleanest way possible, I really have no way of knowing and I won't raise a fuss about it one way or another.
    Last edited by Macaquerie; 2016-04-05 at 03:53 PM.

These aren't cute?

'

But really though, eating dogs is no different from eating pigs or any other animal. It's all about whether they are humanely slaughtered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Still beats getting skinned/boiled alive. In that order.
    Oh, and I am sure you have first hand experience to make this assertion.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Torture =/= Killing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    I feel like a lot of this hand wringing over animal cruelty is just sort of a rationalization so we can have our cake and eat it too. Well, meat cake at any rate. Sure a quick death is certainly more humane than a long agonizing one, but when these animals are not only raised from birth solely to be eaten, but selectively bred to serve as food with no regard for their own survivability, then whether or not you prolong their suffering is a bit of a trivial point. If you want to make to make the slavery analogy, then yeah, it's probably better if you didn't whip your slaves, but by far the greater crime against humanity here is owning people as property in the first place, whether or not you treat them well is kind of irrelevant at that point.
    The kind of person who says the suffering of the animal is trivial because "I'm going to kill it anyway" is the kind of person who is sadistic and/or a psychopath. These people lack imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Torture =/= Killing.
    Well, generally if you castrate and kill something without anesthesia......
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Sure a quick death is certainly more humane than a long agonizing one, but when these animals are not only raised from birth solely to be eaten, but selectively bred to serve as food with no regard for their own survivability, then whether or not you prolong their suffering is a bit of a trivial point. If you want to make to make the slavery analogy, then yeah, it's probably better if you didn't whip your slaves, but by far the greater crime against humanity here is owning people as property in the first place, whether or not you treat them well is kind of irrelevant at that point.
    Difference is that the slave knows what he is (underling/property of his owner), the animals in questions don't know/understand that they are raised to be killed. But they feel the pain (most basic feeling).

Deleted
    More news at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    It depends how you kill it.

For example, rabbits. Do you need anaesthesia to break their necks to kill them relatively humanely?

Deleted
    pigs are ugly , its ok to kill and eat ugly animals or treat bad ugly people

Deleted
    Without context (which you don't deliver) one would have to ask:
    Aaaaaannnnnndddddddd?

The main reason why we eat pigs and not dogs is because:
    1. Dogs are more easily trained and way more agile.
    2. Pigs have way more meat.

Nope, castration is NOT ripping their balls of. You sever the bloodvessel to their balls, hardly a cut but the same effect.
    Last edited by mmocdca0ffe102; 2016-04-05 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    More news at 11.
    Why 11? Why not another time?

I am not a of any pets TBH, my wife and kids have 2 dogs and a cat. I don't like any animal or human for that matter that does nothing but piss money away. That being said I feel that a Dog would taste Gamey much like Bear, or Deer both of which I do not like. But a dead Pig I prefer over even steak. I love me some good smoked pork chops or Bacon.

These aren't cute?

'

But really though, eating dogs is no different from eating pigs or any other animal. It's all about whether they are humanely slaughtered.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I am sure you have first hand experience to make this assertion.
    They're ok, but they don't really match dogs for empathy. Dogs have an advantage though, in that they were selectively bred by humans over thousands of years to be good pets.

http://i.imgur.com/m1OjVuV.gifv

And I'm not really taking a side here, I know lots of people see the issue differently, I'm just saying objectively, we've modified dogs to be companions. This little goggie's breed probably wouldn't survive in the wild.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2016-04-05 at 04:07 PM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

My issue with the inhumane killing bit is... you're still killing them. So, who really cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koenigstiger View Post
    Both are not endangered and pigs are in fact smarter than dogs.

You could argue that you live with a dog but then again in some countries/rural areas it's not uncommon to live with pigs as pets.

The only rational reason one could cite would be the universal vegetarian/vegan argument. That would cover both.
    But if you eat pigs, chickens and cows you have no right to complain about people in Asia jamming, killing and eating dogs.

The same applies to cats btw. For further reading see here.

Show me Dog Bacon, and we can talk. Till then, Pigs = Bacon, Which is all I need to have no remorse about eating them.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you city "http://www.dailymail.co.uk"?

I shall start teaching Pigs how to retrieve and obey my commands... oh wait.

- - - Updated - - -

These aren't cute?
    All I see is BACON! Delicious, juicy BACON!

In all seriousness. Aren't most baby like animals cute? ...
    -K

Deleted
    Technically, of course it's not much of a difference. That's fairly obvious, though.
    The distinction between "ok to eat" and "not ok to eat" is pretty arbitrary and varies so much from culture to culture.

That said, I suppose most people in the Western world are more likely to view dogs as pets (aka "not ok to eat") than pigs - pet pigs are somewhat rare.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not wrong

but we have a thread on this already.

Eating Humans is no different than eating pigs

Among other talents, Humans have excellent long-term memories
    - They are skilled at completing mazes and recognising symbols
    - They also have empathy and can learn from each other in groups
    You could argue that you live with a Human but then again in some countries/rural areas it's not uncommon to live with pigs as pets.

The only rational reason one could cite would be the universal vegetarian/vegan argument. That would cover both.
    But if you eat pigs, chickens and cows you have no right to complain about people in Asia jamming, killing and eating Humans.

The same applies to cats btw. For further reading see here.

I don't think it's a bad thing to arbitrarily rationalize morality around a cultural token.

Soo... who is comfortable with feeding the poor with deceased human meatballs?