Page 20 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    then you don't have an argument....
    Endus already said not to post about what religion "really means". I'm not going to get an infraction for that.

15+ Year Old Account
    you make it seem so simple like someone can just pack up and leave without having to:
    look for a house to buy.
    buy said house and get a loan or mortgage to pay for it.
    sell the current house.
    pay for moving equipment.
    pay to have it moved or move it themselves.
    possess a vehicle to leave said state.
    be able to afford fuel to leave said state.
    be able to find a job at wherever their destination is.
    be accepted at wherever their destination is.
    be able to afford to live at said destination.
    but of course everything is simple when you use simplistic answers like "just leave" that take no consideration for the realities of life in any way shape or form.
    also real nice of you to argue for racists and bigots to be able to hate on gays yet claim your against it. stay classy.
    finally it sounds like you have never been to a town with only one general store and no targets or walmarts for hundreds of miles. try it. you'll find it quite hard to survive without access to those stores because the locals don't like gay people and their state allows them to deny you patronage. you'll also find it impossible to LEAVE. it's effectively a death sentence. you also seem to be under the false assumption that i am gay or live in mississippi. oh and just TRY WALKING out. you'll be dead from thirst before you get to the next town over.
    Ok drama queen, no sense in arguing further with someone who thinks buying an entire fucking house in advance is required to move.

Also, I'm not arguing for racist and bigots, I'm arguing that people who are surrounded by racist and bigots would be much better off leaving them behind than imposing themselves on them. Wtf does "stay classy" even mean? Sorry but the fact I'm not taking your side doesn't automatically mean I'm a homophobic gay basher. I don't give a shit about people being gay or not, not anymore than I care about people in a backward shithole being racist tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yes, but this is why we don't allow people to discriminate against protected classes, in the first place.

Otherwise, we'd see businesses refusing to serve black people, or Mexicans, or anyone non-Christian, or what have you.

Would you be okay with it if, say, everyone in a broad local community decided to blackball a certain Christian church and its members, leaving them unable to buy food anywhere, unable to get electrical/water hooked up, unable to get anyone to rent property to them, and so forth? Because that's what you're arguing for.

I might think the Westboro Baptist Church is despicable, but I wouldn't want to see their members refused service in grocery stores and such just for being members of the Church.
    I never argued for the law. I just said I don't see why people get bent out of shape when they found out that *gasp* Mississippi is racist and filled with people who don't want anything to do with people who aren't just like them. Personally I think moving away is still easier than going on a crusade against the majority there. Also, I don't think the law's purpose is to deny homosexuals basic commodities and allow them to be "starved to death", that to me is a false argument.
    Last edited by Arganis; 2016-04-05 at 10:06 PM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    And if it's a public business then I fully agree that they should be expected to serve the public. You're not going to get an argument from me there.
    Well... why are you disagreeing with everyone here then?

- - - Updated - - -

Endus already said not to post about what religion "really means". I'm not going to get an infraction for that.
    then you can send it to people via private msg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    So you would have no argument before the civil rights act? Seems like kind of a weak position to take.
    when your arguing with posters like these you don't need rock solid arguments to defeat their arguments.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Well... why are you disagreeing with everyone here then?

- - - Updated - - -

then you can send it to people via private msg.
    People were arguing with me about my original post that stated that private businesses should have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You can believe whatever you like, in your own head.

The moment you start trying to use your "sincerely held religious beliefs" to negatively impact other people, you're a bigot, and your actions deserve no protection. Your beliefs aren't theirs, and you're infringing on their freedoms.
    I couldn't have even said it any better, You get a +1 from me.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    People were arguing with me about my original post that stated that private businesses should have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.
    define private business. There is an issue of definition

Public means two things, the store sense and the can buy stock on the exchange sense.

Private also means two things, the store sense and you cannot buy stock on the exchange.

Do you mean private clubs? They get more leeway.

The major problem with this law is not that it allows private businesses to discriminate based on religious beliefs. The problme is that it allows the GOVERNMENT to discriminate based on personal beliefs. COnservatives may be fine with this, beacuse they don't like gay people, but the exact same argument could be made by a legislator in California to ban all guns. All he would have to do, is swear that it goes against his deeply-held religious beliefs to own a gun...

I'm sure the conservatives would applaud and support him for standing up for what he believes in...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Rewind a few decades and there were white only business, but I guess that was okay because it is the business owners right to not serve black people. Go back even further and women couldn't go into certain places, but again that is okay because we don't want to upset the business owners. Even further we have different religions being locked out of places. Somehow we got away from those forms of discrimination but because you care about somebody that somebody doesn't think you should now it is okay to discriminate against them?
    Racial discrimination has nothing to do with their religion and belief system. Gay/Trans is a lifestyle choice that people of religion disagree with and have deep rooted religious feelings that living that way is wrong. Whether you agree or not, being able to exercise ones religion is a 1st amendment protected right, and the federal government infringing on that is flat out wrong and unconstitutional.

Deleted
    if they aren't going to change there is a nice spot in jail for them for disobeying society's laws. or they can leave. there is no compromise in respect to laws. you either follow them or you don't.
    Well, the LAW just passed by Mississippi allows religious people this freedom. Time for the homosexuals to follow the law, eh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    Ok drama queen, no sense in arguing further with someone who thinks buying an entire fucking house in advance is required to move.

Also, I'm not arguing for racist and bigots, I'm arguing that people who are surrounded by racist and bigots would be much better off leaving them behind than imposing themselves on them. Wtf does "stay classy" even mean? Sorry but the fact I'm not taking your side doesn't automatically means I'm a homophobic gay basher. I don't give a shit about people being gay or not, not anymore then I care about people in a backward shithole being racist tools.

I never argued for the law. I just said I don't see why people get bent out of shape when they found out that *gasp* Mississippi is racist and filled with people who don't want anything to do with people who aren't just like them. Personally I think moving away is still easier then going on a crusade against the majority there. Also, I don't think the law's purpose is to deny homosexuals basic commodities and allow them to be "starved to death", that to me is a false argument.
    so cute resorting to petty insults and name calling are we? and yes it is do you even understand how moving works or are you still in middle/high school? i'm asking that as a serious question because if your an adult and you don't understand how moving works than your gonna be in a world of pain should you ever want to move. also please insert more insulting and derogratory comments in your posts i'm sure that'll bolster your argument.

if your not arguing for them why are you blaming the victim for something the racists and bigots are trying to get passed?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Racial discrimination has nothing to do with their religion and belief system. Gay/Trans is a lifestyle choice that people of religion disagree with and have deep rooted religious feelings that living that way is wrong. Whether you agree or not, being able to exercise ones religion is a 1st amendment protected right, and the federal government infringing on that is flat out wrong and unconstitutional.
    A few things:

1 - Gay/Trans is not a "choice"
    2 - Exercising your religion does not involve discrimination.
    3 - The government isn't infringing on your right to religious freedom

10+ Year Old Account
    Except there is no infringement as it is not against religion to sell stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh really now?

You're aware making laws in support of religion is a violation of the 1st Amendment, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Well, the LAW just passed by Mississippi allows religious people this freedom. Time for the homosexuals to follow the law, eh?
    the law is actually unconstitutional and UNENFORCEABLE so technically the law they passed is not an allowable law to pass under the u.s. constitution. guess it's time for the bigots and racists to leave the country eh? also federal laws and bills trump state laws. also government is NOT ALLOWED to discriminate based on religious beliefs as per the seperation of church and state.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2016-04-05 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    define private business. There is an issue of definition

Public means two things, the store sense and the can buy stock on the exchange sense.

Private also means two things, the store sense and you cannot buy stock on the exchange.

Do you mean private clubs? They get more leeway.
    My definition (which may not be right) is a business owned by a private individual. No chain stores, no stock options, ect... Basically "Mom and Pop" shops versus Walmart. Again, probably not the correct definition but that's what I mean by private business.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's an entirely relevant comparison. Religion was extensively used to cast blacks as somehow lesser. One of the reasons I heard when I was growing up ( in Tennessee in the 1980s) was that African's skin color was the visible sign of the " Mark of Cain."

People can believe whatever cuckoo bullsht they like. They can even ACT on said bllsht up until the point it affects someone else. That's when it stops.

10+ Year Old Account
    because they actually don't have that right. and your only argument seems to be "because my religion says so." even though it doesn't. anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    My definition (which may not be right) is a business owned by a private individual. No chain stores, no stock options, ect... Basically "Mom and Pop" shops versus Walmart. Again, probably not the correct definition but that's what I mean by private business.
    Except in that sense if it is a regular store, its still public in the sense that anyone can walk in. The laws that exist now apply to that particular business. I think the laws are older than Wal-mart or just around the same age as I think the first wal-mart opened in the 60s.

10+ Year Old Account
    if it's open to the public it doesn't matter. they still have an obligation to serve them.