Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Donut Drake removed from Uncharted 4 to avoid offending anyone

UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END / 5 APR 2016
    DONUT DRAKE REMOVED FROM UNCHARTED 4

In previous games, players could unlock the overweight model, whose voice is also a lot deeper than Drake's normally is. And the character was originally in series' final game, but Naughty Dog ultimately decided to pull the skin.

"I didn't want to have a laugh at someone's expense," Neil Druckmann, creative director at Naughty Dog, told GamesRadar. "I thought we'd matured beyond that."

Internally, the team had a "big debate," approaching the subject from "all kinds of angles." After having "the whole thing modeled and in there," the developers at Naughty Dog decided they "weren't comfortable having it in [their] game."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/04/0...om-uncharted-4

This is outrageous! What will they remove next??

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What will they remove next??
    Syrian refugees?

So they made a creative decision without any external push to not have fat Drake. Artistic license at work

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/04/0...om-uncharted-4

This is outrageous! What will they remove next??
    What's more outrageous is that you honestly believe that developers shouldn't have the right to modify whatever feature they have in their own property.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    So they made a creative decision without any external push to not have fat Drake. Artistic license at work
    And even if there was pressure from the public, it's still their own right and choice to modify whatever feature of their game anyway.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Clearly this removal is an affront to a serious art form...

"I didn't want to have a laugh at someone's expense," Neil Druckmann, creative director at Naughty Dog, told GamesRadar. "I thought we'd matured beyond that."

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    At someone? It's a donut eating Drake...

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    If they were just exercising artistic license, why announce it as a change made to avoid offending people?

I'm not aware of any backlash over Donut Drake, so I don't think it's pandering. I think Naughty Dog is just trying to cause a controversy for free publicity.

I thought you'd love this? Don't you get sick at the sight of fat people? Or are you the only one allowed to dictate who can and can't be fat?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I thought you'd love this? Don't you get sick at the sight of fat people? Or are you the only one allowed to dictate who can and can't be fat?
    I am somewhat torn. This is true.

As a fat person, this offends me that they removed a character model I can relate too.

Doesn't sound like an artistic choice if he mentioned not wanting to offend anyone.

I am somewhat torn. This is true.
    Oh so you're just looking for outrage, but you haven't decided what to be outraged about quite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I think this is totally fine. The Overwatch butt thing was one where I was QQing about SJWs. But this change is a great way to think and I can respect that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever you laugh at some virtual character, you can say that you laugh at someone's expense. Does it mean we should avoid having virtual characters to laugh at whatsoever? I hope the answer is not...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Tennisace gets like....negative 10,000 points for consistency.

Keeps me on my toes, at least. Just when I think I have him pegged...BAM! A complete 180.

Deleted
    Oh so you're just looking for outrage...
    Tennisace is outrage personified. He thrives on being offended and telling the world (well, at least the MMO-C GenOT world) about it.

Oh yeah......and how great Canada supposedly is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh so you're just looking for outrage, but you haven't decided what to be outraged about quite yet.
    Nuh uh.
    I'm offended that they removed such a beloved character from the game because they're scared tubbys would get upset.

Drake gunning down and blowing up hundreds of people to find treasure is fine, but an obese skin for a character is too offensive.

What Naughty Dog is really saying is that if you're morbidly obese, you can't be a treasure hunter. The bigots.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's true I do not care to see them but as a video game character it's different. It's not real so I can enjoy the chubby guy trying to run and battle.

Why do the retards keep putting stuff in games that they know, full well, that will likely offend someone?

Why put crap that more than likely will leak to the public in if you don't plan on keeping it? Was it a joke around the office? Then they still made the joke, and even if they removed it, there was -someone- in that place that was booty-bothered.

The people that would get offended? You probably already offended them, with the way social media works. They knew about it -before- you removed it and are probably not swayed by your attempts to appease them. If they were going to buy the game, they still are, if they're threatening to not buy it? Well they probably weren't going to anyway.

It's dumb. It just makes it seem like you're all well aware of how 'offensive' your team is and will just do this junk to say 'just playin' just playin'.
    Last edited by GrinningMan; 2016-04-06 at 04:20 AM.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.