Poll: When was the last time you were in a proper arcade

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Videogame arcades.

I was reading the stripclub thread and thought I'd rather put loose change into an arcade machine than notes in a stripper.

Are proper arcades still around? When was the last time you were in a proper arcade with machines that had special features like lightguns or driving cabinets in addition to the normal stick and button games. Things like these,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDr2jNo1dmI
    Last edited by mmoc7ab228a6a0; 2016-04-06 at 09:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just last weekend -- We have a pretty cool Arcade just outside of Chicago. $15 for all day play...You can even leave, get a burrito from the place across the street, and come back and play some more.

http://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/

It's been many years. Loved arcades.

Have you been to Dave and Busters? It's a bar/restaurant/arcade. Pretty popular and people love to get drunk and play games there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    I was reading the stripclub thread and thought I'd rather put loose change into an arcade machine than notes in a stripper.

Are proper arcades still around? When was the last time you were in a proper arcade with machines that had special features like lightguns or driving cabinets in addition to the normal stick and button games. Things like these,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDr2jNo1dmI
    There are always arcades in our shopping centres. Don't really frequent them though, but I've been to one or two... Never been in a strip club though (and for some reason I imagine that they would smell, but arcades generally smell quite nice ).

I'm wondering about the "notes in a stripper" part. Where do they put their money if they take off all their clothes anyway... come to think of it, never mind

Haven't been to a video arcade in a loooong time.

Their glory days are over though. They hail from a day when home computing was prohibitively expensive. And thus all of the top of the line games were at the arcade because they used dedicated modular hardware that for it's days would be far beyond the price scope of the average consumer.

I mean, let's just say hands down, the height of this era was probably the 1990s. Video games were expensive as fuckin the 1990s. Unless you were from an upper class family, you typically got 1 console at home. And maybe a new game every few months at most. Adjusted to inflation these games would actually cost way more than what games cost today.

So the arcade made top of the line video games accessible for the masses. I mean if you were really good you could play through an entire game for 25 cents.

But I mean, now the dynamic has changed. The average gamer is now 35 years old, well capable of budgeting for their own video games. There's just no need for the arcades anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Between 10 and 20 years, funfairs used to have them but not anymore it seems.

Are we not considering Dave and Busters?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's still one in operation around here, though no coins needed. It's a flat rate of $4/hour.

There's also small token arcades in the lobbies of the movie theatres.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

We had a great one in the local mall, well the only mall really, it was tiny and jam packed full of machines. We wasted so much money on SFII, Aliens, X-Men, Avengers, Shinobi, Operation: Wolf, then they had a fire, expanded to twice their size, and completely ruined their business by putting in skee ball and other similar games, the only arcade games left were driving ones. I miss those days of having a cool arcade to go to.

I do miss going to the arcade to see the 'new' games.

Or playing those Neo Geo games because I could never convince my parents to order me one (I think they were crazy expensive).

10+ Year Old Account
    These games have always looked too cheesy and clunky to me. Never had the urge to try them.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Ya, they're still around. The one in my town is talking to the bar owners next door looking to buy them out and expand.

No option for "within the last year."

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    I do miss going to the arcade to see the 'new' games.

Or playing those Neo Geo games because I could never convince my parents to order me one (I think they were crazy expensive).
    Wasn't the system like 600 dollars and each game like a 100 back then? I think crazy is an understatement :P

Also, don't know what to vote, as I would say the last time I was in a proper arcade was around 15 years ago.
    Last edited by Jofe; 2016-04-06 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jofe View Post
    Wasn't the system like 600 dollars and each game like a 100 back then? I think crazy is an understatement :P
    Yeah, I think it was something even worse, like 1000 bucks for the big system.

In 1990 dollars.

We have one here that does all the old classic arcade games at classic pricing. It's now upgraded to a swipe card but games are still .25-.50. I was there a few weeks ago.

God I loved them back in the 80's. I haven't been in one since 1998 or so, back in university. I'm not sure there are any around.

Dave and Busters seems to be the mainstream arcade now.

VR will help rejuvenate arcades IMO. Arcades used to be popular because they had games 100x better than home consoles, due to how expensive the machines had to be. To do VR proper takes a system far above the price most people are willing to pay as well.

The only problem I see is hygiene.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadion View Post
    There are always arcades in our shopping centres. Don't really frequent them though, but I've been to one or two... Never been in a strip club though (and for some reason I imagine that they would smell, but arcades generally smell quite nice ).

I'm wondering about the "notes in a stripper" part. Where do they put their money if they take off all their clothes anyway... come to think of it, never mind
    All the arcades in our malls closed down. There's still a few arcades open that are dedicated businesses with their own property, though. The one I used to go to is still going strong, has laser tag, paintball, go karts, bumper boats, minigolf, rock climbing, and 2 arcade main areas.

I loved arcades when I was younger. It's where I came up and learned how to player fightingredients games and action platformers properly.

There are still some around in my city. They'really pretty lame and usually people are there to goof around. Not for serious video game play and competition- which is what I want in an arcade.

I have been to arcades in the last year. Poll options are poor.