Quote Originally Posted by feellucky View Post
    Thats a 2 year cycle though at least, and they could time the releases of content there with the gaps in current content. I'd say 2.5 years to give people time to clear naxx and gear up and enjoy it. They could then release TBC for people to move onto and continue, or start a couple new servers for classic or reset the servers and race again. And while it may be the case for you that "There's too many good games on the market for me to ever consider doing that" its certainly not the case for many others, myself included. I've tried most of them and I've had more fun in classic wow recently than I have in any mmo in years.
    With the new age gamers though, which is the market that matters to businesses, how many will chose the old, outdated version over the new shiny version? That's what you need to look at with this. Current players may enjoy it, but it won't bring in fresh blood and new cash. Call of Duty is a perfect example of this. They're able to constantly release new games because that's what the current generation of consumers want. Us old dogs aren't as important in the eyes of the companies, it's a sad reality, but a reality none the less. Blizzard is a company first and foremost. Their investors care about the money Blizzard makes them. A vanilla server wouldn't make them enough to run. They could put the same effort into making a new expansion for Hearthstone and make multiple 10s of millions from it opposed to the 1 million they'd make off a vanilla server.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    As an avid nostalrius fan I will say I can understand blizzard shutting the server down due to copyright issues. I think a lot of us are just annoyed with this because Nostalrius was the most fun we've seen from WoW in many many years, the retail version of the game is borderline unplayable at this point, and if blizz was to release this same type of server, most of us would gladly pay once more. But instead they decide to shut it down while at the same time still telling all of the old school fans "no classic server". It's their choice ultimately, but I think stuff like this is only going to drive a lot of long time fans away. Time will tell.
    Well said, Rick. Gotta agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    With the new age gamers though, which is the market that matters to businesses, how many will chose the old, outdated version over the new shiny version? That's what you need to look at with this. Current players may enjoy it, but it won't bring in fresh blood and new cash. Call of Duty is a perfect example of this. They're able to constantly release new games because that's what the current generation of consumers want. Us old dogs aren't as important in the eyes of the companies, it's a sad reality, but a reality none the less.
    You are just a total Blizz whore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Here's the problem though, those servers would still be taking resources, money and even people paying for the expansion out of the "main" game, when they most certainly want as many people as possible to pay for, and play, the expansion.
    Which they already are ; Or do you think that Nostalrius won't be splintered into several other smaller server clusters?

Change the name, change the numbers - They are clearly making a testament to their dedication of the Main game, not actually being pragmatic.

And perhaps that is willing blindness? "we see that you like this. NO. YOU WILL, LIKE THE MAIN GAME." Except, fun doesn't work like that, so, GG blizzard?

7+ Year Old Account
    Surprised a Chinese "World of Wartime: Vanilla Ice" hasn't risen for these players.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

As an avid nostalrius fan I will say I can understand blizzard shutting the server down due to copyright issues. I think a lot of us are just annoyed with this because Nostalrius was the most fun we've seen from WoW in many many years, the retail version of the game is borderline unplayable at this point, and if blizz was to release this same type of server, most of us would gladly pay once more. But instead they decide to shut it down while at the same time still telling all of the old school fans "no classic server". It's their choice ultimately, but I think stuff like this is only going to drive a lot of long time fans away. Time will tell.
    If they're not paying for the retail game why would they care that they've driven them off?
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

This sums up the situation the best I've read so far. I really don't think anyone argues it's fun and it's something that if Blizzard offered it people would play it. I wouldn't be surprised if they opened something up honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah man! I just started there recently and I was having a blast :-(
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    Great example of why people like me say good riddance.

Let's look at a typical illegal server player. You don't give a shit what it does to the community as long as you get what you want. Pathetic.
    Oh shut up. It's not like there is much of a ''community'' left anyways. The last time the game felt like it had a community was Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygor View Post
    This sums up the situation the best I've read so far. I really don't think anyone argues it's fun and it's something that if Blizzard offered it people would play it. I wouldn't be surprised if they opened something up honestly.
    And I'm sure they will, once it becomes financially viable and the potential money made outweighs the cost.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Quote Originally Posted by lordbaldric View Post
    You are just a total Blizz whore.
    And you're just a leech. Only coming up for air (to moan) when your latest free meal is over.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe if blizzard actually added content instead of abandoning things in favour for their next cash cow people wouldn't fucking leave for private servers.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    If they're not paying for the retail game why would they care that they've driven them off?
    Those same people might be more willing to buy a future Blizzard title (or even pop back in to try a future WoW expansion), if they have favorable opinions about the company. Annoying those people by lawyering up to shut down something they love, and they might pass on buying the next Blizzard game.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    How are they trying to justify it? They literally just gave up as soon as the Notice from the lawyers came.

And how are they playing the victim card? These are people wanting to have something they find fun. They are not demanding legal fees or anything, they just made a petition to get to have their server.

How much hatred do you carry to wrap peoples passions to be some demented form of victimhood?
    Did you not read about 40 pages of players pissed off about losing their private server and all the time put into their characters? That's what I'm describing here. Ha ha this has nothing to do about hatred, just a third-party who can see a group of people who knew they were doing something against the rules and got caught doing it. And then bitching about how it's unfair they were caught and how they should keep doing it. I've played on the server myself (although not recently) and it was really fun. I don't care because I knew it was wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    And I'm sure they will, once it becomes financially viable and the potential money made outweighs the cost.
    It doesn't cost the company anything to have the Devs be adopted to the company under the guise of volunteers and keep the status of servers on said volunteers.

You literally pay 0 in direct costs, the only "costs" come from people not playing the main game, which people won't do anyway, because they have pushed the concept of sh'tting on players for so long.

I played WoW since Vanilla, and i stopped as soon as the content draught comes ; Just, why have a 1 year+ Content draught, have me pay for it AND stomp yer feet, defending it, whilst shitt'ng on what the community is passionate about?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoreyai View Post
    Steal? How is it stealing?

They're not taking money for anything, how is this any different than Fair use?
    lol, you are so delude don't see that it's stealing when you take someone elses property and don't pay for it lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tygor View Post
    Did you not read about 40 pages of players pissed off about losing their private server and all the time put into their characters? That's what I'm describing here. Ha ha this has nothing to do about hatred, just a third-party who can see a group of people who knew they were doing something against the rules and got caught doing it. And then bitching about how it's unfair they were caught and how they should keep doing it. I've played on the server myself (although not recently) and it was really fun. I don't care because I knew it was wrong.
    So 40 pages of players being pissed off, somehow equates to that someone is "defending their wrongdoings"?

They literally gave up as soon as legal notice came about.

You make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pallyken View Post
    WOTLK was the grand end of the lore hype, the entire culmination of the warcraft universe as we knew it. For a vast number of players, the defeat of the Lich King was the end for them. It was time to move on in life.
    Which I always found kinda funny because Arthas didn't even exist until Warcraft 3 . When I started playing WoW I was like "Who the fuck are these stupid blue elves, and why aren't the *actual* elves part of the Alliance anymore?"

So it's okay to create a character out of nothing 8 years into the franchise and kill him off 6 years later and for some people that was the beginning and the end of the "main story"; but when they create new characters post Wrath it's totally bogus
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Aaand I want to say, private servers are legal. They use open source legal emulators and the scripts are written by them. There is nothing from Blizzard on private servers, it is like on retail vanilla but it was written by nostalrius devs. All the code comes from pserver devs. Only people that violate the law are players that edit realmlist.wtf file, that's against EULA

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by druenos View Post
    lol, you are so delude don't see that it's stealing when you take someone elses property and don't pay for it lol.
    Except they didn't take their property, they broke the ToU.

That's not Theft. That's breaking the agreement of which you can use said product.

"You can only buy this milk and drink it, nothing else!" != Stealing, if you were to use it to make milkshakes or w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    Aaand I want to say, private servers are legal. They use open source legal emulators and the scripts are written by them. There is nothing from Blizzard on private servers, it is like on retail vanilla but it was written by nostalrius devs. All the code comes from pserver devs. Only people that violate the law are players that edit realmlist.wtf file, that's against EULA
    And where does the actual game data come from?
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche