Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Well, they are free to enjoy Blizzards product through a legal means.
    Really? Does Blizzard finally have Vanilla servers? Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    Really? Does Blizzard finally have Vanilla servers? Awesome.
    Nope, but Blizzard has plenty of other products they can enjoy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalorakk View Post
    Good riddance, take that to the face nostalgia fags

Fun fact: Nostralius wasn't actually Vanilla WoW, it was a bunch of tryhards min/maxing a broken game with no semblance to the state of and expansionless WoW

Vanilla WoW was what it was because it didn't succumb to min/maxing and meta-analysing every component of the game
    /slowclap, yeah you showed them. they took away their fun, and that makes you so happy. Nostalrius had 0 effect on your life but yeah hey, it's awesome that others who actually did enjoy can no longer do that. You must be so fun at parties!

Deleted

Deleted
    Well, they are free to enjoy Blizzards product through a legal means.
    When they start hosting 1.12 in an official capacity, your argument would make sense; however it's moot. Private servers like Nostralius will continue to crop up, just as TPB still exists. There is even less legal basis to challenge private servers than there is to challenge P2P networks, as the private servers aren't stealing anything; they're using open source server code to network together WoW clients, that they have no claim to.

What's ironic is Nostralius probably had a competitive uptime to that of Blizzard's piss poor server management; so who would want those cheap bastards to host Vanilla servers anyway?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    How did I steal your car if you still have it and can still use it?
    But what if he built the car and he did it so he could sell it? Now you stole the car from him and you won't buy it from him anymore. You literally stole the car that you copied.

10+ Year Old Account
    Their best and most popular game ever though is World of Warcraft, just not in its current state.

Deleted
    People who are demanding vanila servers are the same people who quit wow because of lack of new content and year long soo etc :/ i feel alittle light headed making sense of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    Pathetic beyond belief. You get jollies from Blizzard actively stopping people enjoying their product?
    Let's be fair, protecting your own IP isn't really optional. If you're a business owner and someone is doing this with your creations you're going to shrug and go "Yeah, I'll let that slide." Really? Can I guess that you don't run a business?

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Deleted
    You know I made an account on nostalrius after delaying it for so long, but I eventually did it just to see if that itch to play vanilla is just nostalgia like so many people on these forums claim. HOLY SHIT are you all people wrong, it felt like playing world of warcraft, the community... yes the game is clunky compared to what we have today but the core of the game is so damn fun.

I'll give one example: I played a healer and I was literally getting random people whispering me soon after I logged in if I wanted to run this or that dungeon since they added me from a run before, with some people I did entire quest lines like obtaining the scepter for maraudon or the egg for hakkar in ST, key for DM and so on. Needless to say people on that server even though random at first became much less random with time. That is non-existant in current WoW.

Now I see pages being written now on whether it was illegal and those playing on the server being called thieves, fine I think no one fucking argued that it was legal and it was going to last forever, it wasn't going to last, it is very sad though that it died so quickly.

The game though is almost completely different from live, IF I want to play what I played on nostalrius there is no other place for that, and to the people saying that you can't bring vanilla back... you are so wrong, vanilla at least for me has been brought back this last month I played there.

Oh and I would surely pay a fee to play this if it was on Blizzard run servers
    Last edited by mmoc0964073682; 2016-04-07 at 11:58 AM.

Deleted
    Not the one these people want though. They want to play Vanilla. And one might argue they have a right to, since some of them probably bought the game 11 years ago. Now they can't play it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    It is fair use and Nostralius would have a very strong case in court in my opinion if they could prove that they

1. didn't benefited financially from hosting the server
    2. altered the source code from the original
    3. hosted a server which was providing a service blizzard was not, i.e they were not taking customers away from Blizzard, since they are hosting Vanilla wow and they're essentially hosting and entirely different game.

Essentially able to prove they host a server that is purely for fun that is NOT the same as wow and does not take any money or customers from blizzard.
    From here:

"In the United States even if an artifact or process is protected by trade secrets, reverse-engineering the artifact or process is often lawful as long as it has been legitimately obtained.

Reverse engineering of computer software in the US often falls under both contract law as a breach of contract as well as any other relevant laws. This is because most EULA's (end user license agreement) specifically prohibit it, and U.S. courts have ruled that if such terms are present, they override the copyright law which expressly permits it."

It wasn't "legitimately obtained."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpando View Post
    After reading most of this thread ... and seeing people being called fanboys etc and being upset that their private server is being turned off . Oh woah is me I am 14 and entitled to everything I want and my parents wont let me use the credit card . Go read a book or go outside
    People are being called fanboys because there's no reason for Blizzard to close down a server like this, besides to piss off a crap load of people. The people chanting "good riddance" are basically happy that thousands of people lost all of their hard work simply because the server got too big.

It's like a bunch of fanboys praising Blizzard for their heroic deed.

They shut down a vanilla server, yet don't bother creating their own. I bet they shut down the server simply because they got jealous it had 10k players on one realm 24/7, with 10s of thousands active players. Basically if Blizzard can't have that amount of players, nobody can.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewragg View Post
    as expected all the blizz white knights come and poke fun at those that lost their form of entertainment. how sad your lives must be to find enjoyment in other people's miseries . All to the clueless ones in here saying they can't wait till blizz shuts down all of the Pservers...well you had better learn how to wait cause that will never happen. There are countries that tell others to Fuck Off with that copyright bullshit. Blizz can only shut down US servers and those in countries with we are in good relations with. So that list is a short one. One day Blizz will open legacy servers, and all you blizz defenders will be crying " but but but you said you would NEVER do it... yea just like they said it's only a sparkly pony, it's not like we are selling max level toons... peace
    I am surely not a white knight. But I have also created intellectual property in form of books, and I would surely not want some jerks earning money with non-permitted copies or unauthorised fan fiction without sharing this profit with me, the creator of these books / characters. So I understand Blizzard's position quite well.

I could not care less if there are legacy servers or not. I know that I would not pay any extra money for their existence, I would probably not even take a look and create a new character there. I would not mind Blizzard creating these, either - except when the development of new WoW content would suffer. There is no Schadenfreude on my side, this is a legal question.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    When they start hosting 1.12 in an official capacity, your argument would make sense; however it's moot. Private servers like Nostralius will continue to crop up, just as TPB still exists. There is even less legal basis to challenge private servers than there is to challenge P2P networks, as the private servers aren't stealing anything; they're using open source server code to network together WoW clients, that they have no claim to.
    As I asked for earlier, any actual proof to back that up, or did you read that somewhere?

You complained about Blizzard not allowing you to enjoy their products. You clearly have that option but don't want it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    Not the one these people want though. They want to play Vanilla. And one might argue they have a right to, since some of them probably bought the game 11 years ago. Now they can't play it anymore.
    I don't think thats a real argument, though.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. I was replying to someone acting as if the people running that server are saints.
    No worries.. It is interesting though all those carrying on like they are should of realized that sooner or later the free ride would end so to speak..

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    How did I steal your car if you still have it and can still use it?
    If you weren't given permission to drive his car you driving it is still considered theft even if you return it before he realizes it's missing.

That's beside the fact you currently can't digitally replicate a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    And yet there's plenty people here looking down on private server players and calling them (and/or the hosters) thieves.
    If I steal something from you, and you decide not to press charges against me, I'm still a thief.

That said, I haven't posted any opinion I may or may not have about people playing on private servers. My only issue is the irrational whining about Blizzard not being fair.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    Let's be fair, protecting your own IP isn't really optional. If you're a business owner and someone is doing this with your creations you're going to shrug and go "Yeah, I'll let that slide." Really? Can I guess that you don't run a business?
    I'm sure Blizzard are so concerned about the thousands they're losing business to from Nostralius, right after a year in which they've lost 5 million players due to their own follies.

As I asked for earlier, any actual proof to back that up, or did you read that somewhere?

You complained about Blizzard not allowing you to enjoy their products. You clearly have that option but don't want it.
    BREAKING: The "Product" does not exist anymore; Blizzard don't even back up their own server code, by their own admission. Nostralius are hosting specific content that Blizzard has repeatedly denied their players. Blizzard as a company have a right to shape their own product; they do not have a right to ban ideas and concepts; that which refers to Nostralius' serverside code, which is theirs. Hosting a 1.12 Blizz"LIKE" server network falls under fair use; Nostralius are not selling or hosting the download of clientside data in any capacity.
    Last edited by mmoc3277a835d2; 2016-04-07 at 12:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you honestly think, like seriously and honestly, that those who spend hundreds of hours playing Nostalrius are suddenly going to play live WoW or any other WoW product? You'd have to be seriously naive to think that.