Quote Originally Posted by Reapocalypse View Post
    Im not here to justify or defend the Nost Staff or the Guy from Finland against Blizzards claim on Copyrighted Intellectual Property, im just here saying that there are poeple who want this and there are poeple who will make this happen for them, fleeing from a lawsuit that you cant win just seems logical to me, even if you know that you are on the wrong side of the law.

And if someone is frustrated with what im currently trying to sell and says that what i sold 12 years ago was much better and i just ignore that until someone comes and picks up that market, even if i have a piece of paper that proves that only im allowed to sell that, then id say im the one missing out for being ignorant. (from a human perspective, the law is still on the side of the paper-owner tho)
    But what you're saying actually really wrong. It's not like someone came into the MMORPG market, released a new game and was successfull. They came in, copied Blizzard's product and sold it.
    The paper doesn't say Blizz is the only one allowed to sell MMORPGs, it says they are the only ones that are allowed to sell their product, that they created, with their work.

Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    To all you fuckers who keep being hostile and gloating over the loss of nost. We had a great community, something that have been missing from retail for years now. We made some great friends, created some amazing memories had a wonderful time. There were no other way to access the classic version other than playing on a private server. The nost team did some amazing work to bring us all together in the version we all loved. Those of you who say good riddance how fucking petty can you get? Yes it was bound to happen and we all knew it but why the fuck do you gloat over our loss?
    I think people are just happy that people who stole property got shut down. You lost nothing as you simply took something you did not own and used it at no cost.

WoW, 100 pages.....I guess alot of people do care about private servers.

I actually made an account on it, mostly to see how it works + addon support. Was fun 2-3 hours.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Did I say I was happy? No.

I played on Nostralius. I had my own guild, as GM, by accident, when a group of people made one, invited me (Winter is Coming! was a cool name), then realized they meant they wanted it in Polish and left, leaving me GM. Neat! I had quite a few characters, got to go back and experience old Auberdine again *sniffle* and a few other places. But I always expected it would be on borrowed time because Blizzard had a right to ask it be shut down.
    I definitely saw that guild name on the server...that's pretty awesome that you were (accidental) GM.
    My favorite part of being able to play on that server was the old version of Scarlet Monastery, though I enjoyed old everything. I wish Blizzard would make the old version of dungeons as Caverns of Time dungeons.

Borrowed time is the best way to describe private servers, especially a private server that was as big as Nost got. What that small team of people did was pretty amazing, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    To all you fuckers who keep being hostile and gloating over the loss of nost. We had a great community, something that have been missing from retail for years now. We made some great friends, created some amazing memories had a wonderful time. There were no other way to access the classic version other than playing on a private server. The nost team did some amazing work to bring us all together in the version we all loved. Those of you who say good riddance how fucking petty can you get? Yes it was bound to happen and we all knew it but why the fuck do you gloat over our loss?
    Because your lot can happily go around bashing retail players, you don't expect the same kind of response? Retail and Nost community are just as toxic as each other and this forum pose proves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Maybe for a free server, but 150k paying customers for Blizzard wouldn't make up for the staggering cost of creating classic servers that are secure, can access the new battle.net, have years of exploit fixes weaved in, and their own line of GM's and service reps.
    This is why i suggested getting the NostWOW Guys to be the GM's and Maintain it thus blizzard don't need to do some of the work, If they did this they can enforce an Active Subscription is needed. Thus they get the Player base back aswell.

You know, maybe this is a radical idea. But how about Blizzard just runs era servers for free?

I mean we're looking at one server with 160k people who obviously wants to play either something new (not everyone experience vanilla), for nolstalgia sake, or a better fitting community instead of Garrison Craft.

And yes. I said for free, all you have to do is buy the client like everyone else. It would certainly be a better solution than having to cut down growing weeds that is private servers and angering everyone despite what side their one.

I would even be willing to bet that sub numbers increase and stay steadier.

Quote Originally Posted by EvcRo View Post
    especially since Nostalrius team said they will open source everything so making private servers will be piss easy.
    mangos was open source for years, but it is useless by itself. It is database what matters, and it is always kept in secret.

Quote Originally Posted by LordSpaztic View Post
    And yes. I said for free, all you have to do is buy the client like everyone else. It would certainly be a better solution than having to cut down growing weeds that is private servers and angering everyone despite what side their one.
    Because people would expect support & bug fixes, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

i like how everyone seems to think that because the server shut down the 150k ppl that played on it are going to magically resub to current wow. those people played vanilla servers for a reason, because they liked vanilla wow and the challenge behind it. face facts blizzard makes mediocore games for a casual audience, you can jump right in and play for and hour or so and feel like youve accomplished something and that goes for any blizz game WoW, D3, SC2, any of them.

You know, maybe this is a radical idea. But how about Blizzard just runs era servers for free?
    No. Include it as part of the subscription.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Because your lot can happily go around bashing retail players, you don't expect the same kind of response? Retail and Nost community are just as toxic as each other and this forum pose proves it.
    No kidding. Four people have been banned in this thread for telling people who support the server being taken down to kill themselves (including myself), calling them faggots, or telling them to "suck more Blizzard cock", and they want to say that their community was awesome?

When I was on Nost, we had children spamming general chat with swear words, sexual innuendos, and just plain spam. It's no different than retail except there is a lot less oversight to clean it up.

Blizzard should just make their own Vanilla server seperate from the main game. It could be a huge success. Currently OSRS has as many players as RS3.

I mean we're looking at one server with 160k people who obviously wants to play either something new (not everyone experience vanilla), for nolstalgia sake, or a better fitting community instead of Garrison Craft.

I would even be willing to bet that sub numbers increase and stay steadier.

Then who will maintain it, Act as GMs?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    More like people milling around a massive car wreck.
    I think denying there is a genuine group (that wants and supports previous versions of the game) leads to more hostilities as is clearly evident in this thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    No. Include it as part of the subscription.
    But then people can't get a full raid group together!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ewokgangbang View Post
    ITS OK!!!!!! no one worry it was only a vanilla server the WOTLK ones are still alive and active and many have xp boosts.
    It's not ok as I don't want a pay to win server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    This is why i suggested getting the NostWOW Guys to be the GM's and Maintain it thus blizzard don't need to do some of the work, If they did this they can enforce an Active Subscription is needed. Thus they get the Player base back aswell.
    There are a few issues I see with this: Blizzard may not be set up structurally to support franchising, which comes with its own set of auditing and financial laws they must follow, and for security reasons they may not be keen on allowing people they didn't actually hire having unlimited access to both their front-end and back-end structure. Right now, as far as I know, private servers have to replicate the databases to support the server, they don't just have them laying around.

They should have bought it and put a sub on it, and outsourced the maintenance to the creators of nost.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    I definitely saw that guild name on the server...that's pretty awesome that you were (accidental) GM.
    My favorite part of being able to play on that server was the old version of Scarlet Monastery, though I enjoyed old everything. I wish Blizzard would make the old version of dungeons as Caverns of Time dungeons.

Borrowed time is the best way to describe private servers, especially a private server that was as big as Nost got. What that small team of people did was pretty amazing, in my opinion.
    I wonder how Blizzard would have reacted if these people had contacted them after setting up a server and suggested paying royalties for using the IP. And how many people would then have played on this server, because with royalties, there would be some kind of regular payment involved to play the game. How many players would have stayed there in this case?