Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    Abandoned* version, not stolen...
    Yep exactly they've abandoned that part of the game the retail version is completly different sure the intellectual property is the same but jesus christ just let us have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I fail to see how WoW is abandoned. *said while logging in to level a 6th character to 100*
    Vanilla WoW IS an abandonded version of the game "World of Warcraft"

Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    WoW is definitely not an MMO anymore. Name me one aspect of the game that is.
    Multiplayer?
    Online?

There's two aspects that make it an MMO.

/endofdiscussion
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Givemount View Post
    Yeah, I don't believe you. Either you never played it or you were a social outcast from day one. Either way I pity you.
    Nope, I had an extremely social guild. As I still do today. The difference being the game isn't buggy and unbalanced as shit today. which Vanilla was.

Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
    ITT: Lots of "engineers," "lawyers" and "business analysts" too. At least this will make people shut up about LFR for a while. Have a good one!
    Well, my qualifications are inarguable. I am from the internet and am qualified in the use of several major search engines. I also have extensive experience in providing my opinions anonymously on multiple types of social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    Well, they say it would be too much work. Even though a small group of volunteers have done it, and even though they doubled their WoW team's size when Titan was scrapped. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it?
    I'm sure the quality that these small group of volunteers are able to achieve wouldn't be enough for Blizzard standards, esp. when they'd be charging people money for it.

Quote Originally Posted by njeebje View Post
    I did some calculations based off on the amount of people whom signed the petition to not shutdown Nostalrius and if Blizzard were to implement legacy servers and charge a sub fee to acces them they'd cash in on about 450.000 euro a month, this is enough to pay every single person in their company and more!
    Lets break it down on why the cost outweighs the benefits. You have to take old code and convert to the new system they have in place. Then make sure everything still works. Then you have to update the client, so it works with the new filing system. Then make sure all of Battle.net works with Legacy. Have support staff and IT people on hand to service those people on those servers. Think about the GM ticket wait with that. That is a lot of manpower which isn't cheap BTW. For how long are those so called people for Legacy stay subbed for? Most of those private servers are playing those servers because they like "Free" things in life.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    Multiplayer?
    Online?

There's two aspects that make it an MMO.

/endofdiscussion

God, you're fucking dense.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    What you were saying would be true if the people in the photo of Orgrimmar were NPC's, but unlike garrisons, all of those people (minus the guards) are actual players doing different things, crafting goods, forming groups for raids, or folks just standing around having fun. And "let's hang out in the auction house" is still more fun then "let's hang out with my npc's". As for circumstance.... who cares about the reason? Having a "world" in warcraft is always a good thing, players like seeing other players in the game.
    I see players in game all the time. The game doesn't require you going to one of 6 cities of your faction, in an Area that isn't current content to interact with people.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is definitely not an MMO anymore. Name me one aspect of the game that is. The reason Nostalrius and many other private servers exist is because the playerbase actually wants something, and Blizzard refuses to give it. Instead we get what? Features that don't make the game anymore enjoyable? Selfie cam anyone? How about twitter integration, I know that was a HUGE feature that we asked for. Nostalrius proves that 1) A legacy server is something that A LOT of people actually want and 2) that it is perfectly doable with limited resources. Blizzard denied that it was 1) wanted by anyone to begin with, and 2) not feasible.

Nostalrius contradicted Blizzard's claims. Blizzard shuts down Nostalrius because embarrassed. Don't give me this legal standpoint bullshit. Everything has some form of technicality to it, but as a company that has claimed to always want to put its customer first, and make the game for the gamer, to actually shut down something that was enjoyed by thousands because "it's not legal", so? Who the fuck actually does everything legal by the book day in, day out? Focus on the hackers and botters in the game, and leave us to our own enjoyment.

Half the people in this thread didn't even know about Nostalrius until the papers were served, so don't act like its such a bad thing.
    Name me one MMO that isn't the exact same as WoW these days. Players don't want Everquest anymore, just look at how Next ended up. Outside of a few hundred at a time they don't even want Vanilla. Nost had a ton of accounts made, but by no means a ton of activity (I think their cap was in the few thousands).

Players want the CoD style of online. You hit the button, wait in a 30 second queue (WoW's biggest failing in this "new MMO" world, 15 minute queues), maybe with an entirely optional single player mode but that's not required.

Just look at Hearthstone, Heroes, and Overwatch. That's where "MMO" is going, not toward places like Nost.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Nokami View Post
    Offended by the ignorance these software pirates bring to the table. Well, as thousands i have many cracked things on my Computer (come at me law!), but i have no right to fucking complain if they get shut down by the developer. And here we are and a few people cry about their illegal accounts on a illegal pirate server? Do we really life in times where everyone wants everything for free? Blizzard created this game, even when i dont like the direction of wod, eighter i have to leave it or stick with it.

if i play on a illegal server, i must be stupid to not think about it getting shutdown. Deal with it.
    I-I'm dealing with it. Well, I guess a little. I played Nost like once a month, really.

I'm just concerned as to why there are so many people on here able to almost jack off to a server going down when, as stated earlier, it doesn't affect their lives in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    /endofdiscussion
    They probably implied a community that sparks from an MMORPG. Current WoW only fosters that with guilds -- and strictly with them alone outside of your own volition. We both know that many people refuse to converse in modern MMORPGs and at best actually do add you. Classic and TBC of course forced you to socialize, but that was one aspect that I suppose many viewed as positive. It certainly creates passion.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    Vanilla WoW IS an abandonded version of the game "World of Warcraft"
    That's not a thing that exists outside of piracy circles online.

Abandonware, as it's commonly called, is not just "an old version of a game that you can't play anymore," it's literally software that's received no updates in years. When WoW is shut down for good, then it's abandoned.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Do you have to make money? Or do you have to deny Blizzard their money by offering the exact same product for free?
    But they're not offering the exact same product.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Nope, I had an extremely social guild. As I still do today. The difference being the game isn't buggy and unbalanced as shit today. which Vanilla was.
    Nobody is denying that it wasn't buggy and unbalanced. I mean shit I was raiding ZG/MC/BWL on there and prepping for AQ40. The true issue is that the sense of community is gone from retail WoW and also the leveling experience bar 40-47 (seriously fuck those levels) is imo inherently better.

Sad I'll lose a lot of people I met on there, hope this takes a 180.
    Hey everyone

WoW is definitely not an MMO anymore. Name me one aspect of the game that is.
    The open world? Raids?
    You may argue that the quality has gone down but you cannot argue that those things do not still exist.
    The reason Nostalrius and many other private servers exist is because the playerbase actually wants something, and Blizzard refuses to give it
    And because it's.... say it with me... a FREE game!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Maybe they intend to release a vanilla server and wanted to out the competition before hand.
    I hope they are that smart, but they have a long history of refuting the idea. They also said they weren't bringing back flying, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsc View Post
    I predict subs would soar if a vanilla realm opened.
    Would it? Or would those people just move to a different private server that's free?

Out of 150,000 active players, they couldn't afford €400/month in hardware maintenance. There were people in the donation thread saying they'd like to help, but they couldn't afford €10 (the smallest payment option) and wanted to set up official crowdfunding so they could pool their donations together and raise €10.

How many of those players would be willing to pay a sub fee for an official Vanilla server? Hell, how many would even be able to?

They needed 1/5th of a cent from each active player. A €10 donation from a single player covered almost 4,000 active subscriptions.

And they couldn't even raise that.
    Last edited by SidFwuff; 2016-04-07 at 05:36 PM.

Meanwhile, People still play Call of Duty 2 on private Servers and no one cares

Do you have to make money? Or do you have to deny Blizzard their money by offering the exact same product for free?
    It isn't the same exact product.

Multiple zones, instances, quests, items, classes, specs, spells, rates, features and plenty of other gameplay aspects have been removed or edited in the Vanilla content. It is a very different experience that's not available anymore.

Not saying that it makes it legal, or that it jutifies doing something illegal. Just stating it for what it is.