I Understand all these Players... really! It's simple..

1. free World of Warcraft!
    2. free World of Warcraft!
    3. free World of Warcraft!
    4. free World of Warcraft!
    5. Profit

I hope the devs now invest time in somewhat useful, like denuvo.

Bad for consumers, but a completely expected move from Blizzard.

Another will take its place. *shrug*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisderp View Post
    There are many other private servers which are yet to be taken down, and it's so rare for Blizzard to act, I have to wonder what the cut off point is, legally speaking.
    It's because starting a legal action is difficult. Nost happened to be in France - and Blizzard operates there.
    But starting a international litigation is not entirely trivial and takes a lot of time to prepare, because they want the case closed without long legal battle.

They'll close every server they can get to. But closing things that are hosted in (for example) Russia is extremely hard thing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Are you serious?

* There is no data regarding how many people would WANT to pay $15/month in order to play a 10 year old game
    * There is no (public) data regarding how much development effort it would require to recreate a 10 year old game such that it is free of bugs and exploits, and runs on modern hardware
    * People will never be satisfied with the 10 year old game because some people prefer for 2/3 of specs to be broken/useless and some people don't; some people want all the dumb shit that was fixed in later releases and some people don't, et cetera

All that "private servers" prove is that people will play a shitty game as long as it's free
    *If the obvious fact that AT LEAST hundreds of thousands of players are interested in it, (even Nost by itself gathered over 100k active players) is "no data" sure.
    *Another proven bullshit argument considering the volunteer of 30 or something people managed to bring up decent experience even in terms of bugs with that kind of low resources.
    * "People" are never satisfied. Which ones? How about the ones that grew the Nost community for a year and kept growing until Blizz got triggered ?
    You don't seem able to comprehend what this quite massive group of people enjoy and want from wow.
    Can you understand that most of the players of Nost enjoyed it so much BECAUSE of the bugs? Because the game was EXACTLY like it was on release? Because they wanted to experience that patch progression and the same experience they had OR missed back then ? No because your head is too far up that ass that thinks everything should be stupidly easy, you should teleport instantly everywhere, leveling should be a sad joke, loot should fall from the sky for free and the only concern you have is if you get a specific pink tinged transmog costume for your pokemon farm in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoreyai View Post
    Steal? How is it stealing?

They're not taking money for anything, how is this any different than Fair use?
    It's never stealing when you personally benefit from it but if you personally create something and someone else gives it out for free? Oh hells no! That's stealing my intellectual property! And if you didn't feel this way then you are not smart enough to keep your intellectual property.

10+ Year Old Account
    think of pservers as being married in a place that considers gay marriage illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    You may be hopeless on this and math but anyone actually looking at the numbers will know a very, very small minority could have covered expenses. there is a missing factor in the public data. maybe you can pull one of your 100% claims and fix it?
    Here's another math: Maybe even that small minority wasn't willing to pay up?
    Or maybe they got lots of donations but it went straight into their pockets. Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Vyse View Post
    I bet Activision Blizzard is illegaly avoiding taxes like all the other big companies,
    but is crying when some illegaly "steals" their "intellectual property".
    Big companies avoid taxes, but they do it legally.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I think the biggest mistake Blizzard made was making each expansion a power increase.
    Completely OT but I agree 100%.

Hell, it's not even per-expansion anymore, it's per-patch. They're making same-expansion content worthless after six months or so.

I hate the power creep in WoW.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Damn this thread is on fire...

Quote Originally Posted by Hooliganz View Post
    think of pservers as being married in a place that considers gay marriage illegal
    When you're done with that, think of your butt as your hat, because you've achieved a level confusion sufficient to make it stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazalak View Post
    All I heard was, "you think you do, but you don't."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuOYmqSF6OQ
    Kind of being intellectually dishonest. The footage from Nostralius is showing one server, blizzard has hundreds of servers between multiple continents, of course it's not going to look as populated.

Also, the vast majority of players wouldn't play vanilla for that long. They would be like "Yeah that was fun" and then stop playing after a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Once again im interested in other peoples opinions, but fucking hell mate what makes modern wow different to classic? If you dont mind ignoring bugs and ease of group finding. I normally find the people who enjoy cata upwards dislike WOTLK downwards.
    Modern WoW sucks if you're talking about WoD specifically. I'm not playing it in case you were wondering. But if they were to go back to say MoP quality I would. My personal favorite is BC, Wrath and vanilla (mostly for the nostalgia). but I don't expect to have old feelings recreated but only something that is quality wise as good.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    It basically had twice the player base of a retail server now. Not surprised it was closed.

Must have been out of spite though, they must know closing the server won't bring a single sub back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Here's another math: Maybe even that small minority wasn't willing to pay up?
    Or maybe they got lots of donations but it went straight into their pockets. Who knows...
    I think it also was ignorance. I actually had no idea that the servers were in financial trouble. I knew one could donate a little but I rarely went to the site or the forums (unless I wanted to test out a new spec) and so was never informed.

Had I known I wouldn't have minded handing over a tenner.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    i am puzzled by the nost reported monthly expenses vs. their user base. it seems like, even assuming multiple accounts per user in some cases, a *penny* per actual player would have kept them close to green on ongoing expenses, per month. assuming all is euros, it is like there is a zero or two missing somewhere.
    to me it looks like we have here there reason why Blizzard shut it down. Their costs were super low and they sure as hell got more than those little costs as income through donations. I mean 150k active players. Even if that's 100k unique players and only 1% of those donated a dollar per month, that's enough to pay their servers. And they definitely got more than a dollar from 1% of their players.

To me, it sounds more and more like a money grab and now they just play the "we are so humble fans and can't understand why Blizzard is so angry" show.

They had 150k active players, 800k accounts in total, super low costs because they exploited their "employees" (did the work for free) and had cheap servers and a donation functionality.

Historically, Blizzard only intervenes in fan projects when those fans tried to make a profit out of it and this looks just like another of those cases.

so many pro-theft people in here its shocking.

i wonder how they would feel if someone stole from them. oh wait they dont care.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Hooliganz View Post
    *nod*

"It's the law!" Yeah, so was slavery, and gay marriage not being recognized in most of the world. It's our responsibility as the free peoples of earth to fight against these injustices. The law being on Blizzard's side only means that in this case, the law is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    The thing that pisses me off the most (and i dont mean 100% but the mass majority) is the player base that never tasted (fully) Vanilla but have this huge opinion of it. I dont know if im just old and out of touch, but the modern warcraft player just doesnt get what it was originally.

Warcraft isnt World of Warcraft anymore.
    I started early TBC and never got to experience Vanilla end-game, so I'd be willing to pay for an official Vanilla server with full support to experience it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Also, the vast majority of players wouldn't play vanilla for that long. They would be like "Yeah that was fun" and then stop playing after a week.
    We're not asking them to do that?