15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I hate to break it to you (no, I really don't), but the 'real' Warcraft, is World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor. So, yeah, if they're playing right now, they are getting 'a sip of the real Warcraft'.
    Nah mate, you've never played the real game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcfart View Post
    It's not cool, since Vanilla is now basically abandonware, but it's Blizzard's IP and they do what they want.
    How come World of Warcraft is abandonware if they have a company behind and the game is still going? World of Warcraft is the Trade mark, not World of Warcraft Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    I do know that because they have shut the server down, if it wasnt a threat then they would they do that?
    They have shutdown much smaller servers in the past. So there goes that theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcfart View Post
    It's not cool, since Vanilla is now basically abandonware, but it's Blizzard's IP and they do what they want.
    That's ridiculous and wrong. First, WoW isn't abandonware, it is current, supported and sold today. Claiming that Vanilla is abandonware and thus free-for-all is bullshit, it's like saying you don't want to pay for Office 365 because you'll just steal and use Office 2010 instead.

Try that and see how forgiving Microsoft is.

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    It's one thing to be double dipping.

The implication behind the lost sales argument is that someone upon hearing of private Vanilla servers will immediately cancel their subscription to retail WoW, therefore resulting in lost sales.

My argument is that they were never subbed to begin with. Usually.
    I wasn't subbed to WoW, but I played Nos. Though, I will resub only if my brother does. We raid together. If he doesn't then no point for me. Which is why Nos a gift. But if Blizzard released offical sanctioned vanilla servers, I would sub for that.

I don't like current WoWs direction, but love the game play and the overall feel of the MMO. If you give me that, then they would have a customer. Otherwise they don't. Pretty simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    3) Blizzard doesn't actually lose any money.
    Again. The World of Warcraft trademark is being used and active. Blizzard has to defend it or risk it being challenged (and perhaps even deactivated) in which case the trademark is freely usable by anyone. They have to defend it aggressively - and in this case it also ties in with copyright infringement of their IP, so it makes the decision rather easy for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    I don't think you can use WoD and MMO in the same sentence.
    Lol... My thoughts exactly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    based on interest of classic servers. which is very little right now.
    The demand has never been higher OBVIOUSLY why do you keep pulling "information" out of your ass constantly? WoW is argubly in it's worse state ever (even lower sub numbers then vanilla) and the contentdraught is making the demand even more noticeable. I just dont understand how you come to your conclusions, i really dont.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    You would have to pay another 30-40 dollars a MONTH and it still might not be enough revenue to not end up in the red doing the insanely stupid idea of vanilla servers
    Lets see the data to back this hilarious assertion up.

That's sad. I was thinking about trying it out since I know so many people irl that have been loving Nost. I don't know anyone irl that plays WoW anymore.

Blizz should do Vanilla servers if they are going to shut down people trying to use old versions of the game. It could be like 2007scape. I would get a WoW membership if it came with Vanilla servers.

15+ Year Old Account
    I did play, don't insult me because I have a grasp on reality and can tell the difference between something being fun and something being nostalgia.
    Then i apologise if you took my forum post to harsh. I will never tell anyone what to think what is fun and what is not, but i will argue my way out of someone trying to do the opposite to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Are you serious?

* There is no data regarding how many people would WANT to pay $15/month in order to play a 10 year old game
    * There is no (public) data regarding how much development effort it would require to recreate a 10 year old game such that it is free of bugs and exploits, and runs on modern hardware
    * People will never be satisfied with the 10 year old game because some people prefer for 2/3 of specs to be broken/useless and some people don't; some people want all the dumb shit that was fixed in later releases and some people don't, et cetera

All that "private servers" prove is that people will play a shitty game as long as it's free
    I do not doubt that *some* players would not be willing to spend money on playing those servers, same goes for retail.

Nostalrius should give their data to Blizzard developers. Nostalrius had very little bugs, most of the issues came from server crashes due to high population from around the globe. However, their actual development team was substantially smaller than Blizzards, and each person working 20-30 hours a week were capable of creating an authentic feeling, vanilla private realm hosting tens of thousands of players at peak time.

People are never satisfied with the game even in it's current state. It would be nice between raiding tiers and on off-nights to enjoy WoW as it was and how it should still be. I can speak for a lot of players when I say that a legacy realm is definitely wanted. Otherwise there would not be such a community backlash over the news of Nostalrius' impending disconnect.

15+ Year Old Account
    So you're going to pretend WoD didn't happen?
    WoD was fine. Lacking content maybe but it wasn't full of bugs. They had stability issues due to an additional 3 million people resubscribing on release. They added a couple hundred additional back end servers *that* week to compensate. If WoD had launched at 7-7.5 million it would've been as smooth as the MOP launch.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    That's ridiculous and wrong. First, WoW isn't abandonware, it is current, supported and sold today. Claiming that Vanilla is abandonware and thus free-for-all is bullshit, it's like saying you don't want to pay for Office 365 because you'll just steal and use Office 2010 instead.

Try that and see how forgiving Microsoft is.
    No because office 365 is a iteration.

WoD isn't an iteration of vanilla, it's a continuation.

Vanilla is in fact abandonware because there is no legal way to obtain or play it in itself.

I don't think you can use WoD and MMO in the same sentence.
    I don't think you can use Nostralius and open in the same sentence.

Well, I suppose you can for three more days.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    $15 a month from people who would otherwise not pay that subscription for live is profitable, the maintenance and upkeep of a classic server is negligible in this argument and you definitely know that; this isnt 2004 where hosting upkeep was actually a problem.

You deliberately dodge the answer in front of you to better fit your own narrative, its obvious you don't want to have a serious discussion about this topic.
    recreation of the code
    hiring of GM to police Classic servers
    maintenance of classic servers
    time and money they would be using to do all this
    then the small interest of classic servers.
    plus anything else i missed

pretty much means to get any profit back from classic servers they would have to charge more.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by xxxDkDkxxx View Post
    Again. The World of Warcraft trademark is being used and active. Blizzard has to defend it or risk it being challenged (and perhaps even deactivated) in which case the trademark is freely usable by anyone. They have to defend it aggressively - and in this case it also ties in with copyright infringement of their IP, so it makes the decision rather easy for them.
    Stop repeating yourself, tiny psevers have and never will be a threat to a trademark in a completely different country.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    I wasn't subbed to WoW, but I played Nos. Though, I will resub only if my brother does. We raid together. If he doesn't then no point for me. Which is why Nos a gift. But if Blizzard released offical sanctioned vanilla servers, I would sub for that.

I don't like current WoWs direction, but love the game play and the overall feel of the MMO. If you give me that, then they would have a customer. Otherwise they don't. Pretty simple.
    Yeah see, my argument is that Nostalrius players weren't retail WoW subscribers, to begin with. Something like mutually exclusive (you can be X, but can't be Y, and vice versa).

I do think that there is a market for legacy servers, but the onus is on Blizzard.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

You can play Mozart for free but not the long dead Elvis because reasons?
    Because, international copyright law.

If "law" isn't a reason for you, I dunno ....

And PS: You can't play someone else's modern performance of Mozart for free, or give away copies of Mozart sheet music.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    They have shutdown much smaller servers in the past. So there goes that theory.
    No no no no, not like this.